gorox
    gorox's Avatar Become A Pro!

Abreu To Yanks;

Abreu and Lidle are headed to the Yankees for some minor league kids, Hughes is not one of the minor leaguers. Abreu just pulled out of the Phillies game.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I just heard that info myself bud.

abreu would agree to the trade if the yankees pick up his 16 million dollar option for next season.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm almost happier to get Lidle after yesterday.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

heres the full story:

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -The New York Yankees acquired All-Star right fielder Bobby Abreu and starting pitcher Cory Lidle from the Philadelphia Phillies on Sunday for four minor league prospects.

Desperate for pitching help and needing a bat in their depleted outfield, the Yankees took on Abreu's hefty contract, hoping he can help them catch first-place Boston in the AL East.

The Phillies get left-hander Matt Smith and Class-A shortstop C.J. Henry - a first-round draft pick in 2005. They also landed rookie league catcher Jesus Sanchez and right-hander Carlos Monasteries.

Abreu, who had to waive his no-trade clause to accept the deal, is making $13.5 million this year and is owed $15.5 million next season. He has a club option for $16 million in 2008 with a $2 million buyout.

Abreu was pulled from Philadelphia's starting lineup about 10 minutes before the first game of Sunday's day-night doubleheader against Florida, but remained in the dugout. He walked around hugging teammates in the third inning and stayed on the bench, laughing, chatting and cheering.

A career .301 hitter, Abreu fills a major void in the Yankees' lineup. New York has been without injured outfielders Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui most of the season.

Abreu was batting .277 with eight homers and 65 RBIs. His 91 walks led the majors and his .427 on-base percentage was third in the National League. He has 198 home runs and 841 RBIs over 10 seasons.

Lidle provides depth in a rotation that has struggled due to injuries and inconsistency. The 34-year-old right-hander is 8-7 with a 4.74 ERA in 21 starts this season. He has won his last four starts, pitching eight innings in each of the last two.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

I just hope the Yankees dont ruin another good player. Players seem to have trouble when going to the New York Yankees in a trade. I have Bobby Abreu on my SBR team, and would like to see some decent production out of him.