TheIntegrityKid
    TheIntegrityKid's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ron Santo Elected to the Hall of Fame

Much deserved.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Just a gawd damn shame they didn't elect him while he was still alive...

Mr. Jones
    Mr. Jones's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    Just a gawd damn shame they didn't elect him while he was still alive...

Fukking A for damn sure man!!!

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

Bout time

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

I never saw him play but looking at his career numbers I don't see a HOFer.

Mr. Jones
    Mr. Jones's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Like you said Andy, with all due respect, you never saw him play. Played on mostly crap teams with little protection in the line up. And he was a leader.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21401

And if you look at the stats for Brooks Robinson, you'd say the same thing and then some, but he's in.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9605

lol at people wanting to compare stats of 90 players to todays players to players of the 60's and 70's, you just can't do that

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

too bad he didn't get the celebrate it on earth

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

if they keep letting marginal players in, the baseball hall of fame will be bigger than the louvre in 100 years

guys like ray schalk are in - 11 career HRs, 594 RBI with a career average of .253 - 1345 hits, and in only six years did he have more than 100 hits per season. that's ridiculous.
    guys like pete rose aren't in, even though admitted cheaters like gaylord perry are in.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    if they keep letting marginal players in, the baseball hall of fame will be bigger than the louvre in 100 years

guys like ray schalk are in - 11 career HRs, 594 RBI with a career average of .253 - 1345 hits, and in only six years did he have more than 100 hits per season. that's ridiculous.
    guys like pete rose aren't in, even though admitted cheaters like gaylord perry are in.
    Ray Schalk was inducted 56 years ago, hardly a new development, and was a special case for his catching defense. Hard to say 'guys like' when there are no other guys like him in the Hall.

The line with 'cheaters' is a tough one, and will only get tougher.

Santo deserved to get in long ago. When you are in the top 2 or 3 at your position for an era, you belong.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Ray Schalk was inducted 56 years ago, hardly a new development, and was a special case for his catching defense. Hard to say 'guys like' when there are no other guys like him in the Hall.

The line with 'cheaters' is a tough one, and will only get tougher.

Santo deserved to get in long ago. When you are in the top 2 or 3 at your position for an era, you belong.
    fair enough but i think the hall of fame will be way too big if they keep letting in the top 3 guys at every position.
    santo makes 36 people inducted in the last 5 years.

let's say 100 years from now there are 1000 people in the "hall of fame", that would be a bit ridiculous, no?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    fair enough but i think the hall of fame will be way too big if they keep letting in the top 3 guys at every position.
    santo makes 36 people inducted in the last 5 years.

let's say 100 years from now there are 1000 people in the "hall of fame", that would be a bit ridiculous, no?
    Not really. The longer you guy the more there's going to be. I agree there needs to be some limits, but 7 per year really doesn't seem that bad.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas
    mebaran's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

If you look at the other hall of famers that played 3B, he's definitely up there. Not to mention he played his whole career with diabetes, and the treatments they had back then weren't nearly as good as they are now.

He told a story once about how a big situation came up in a game where they were down in the bottom of the 9th. He was on deck and he was having trouble standing up and was having double vision, about to pass out because of his low blood sugar at the time. He was praying that whoever was up got a hit and the runners scored so that he could just sit back down and the game would be over. The guy struck out, so it was up to him to get an RBI. He said he swung at the first pitch, even though he saw three balls coming at him from his bad vision. He picked one of them and swung, and ended up hitting a homerun to win the game. He crossed home plate and immediately went into the clubhouse where he was having problems staying conscious.

THAT is hall of fame material.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68195

Well deserved and way overdue.

Can't believe they didn't put him in while he was alive. Unreal!