bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

with the trade deadline just days away right now...

with just a few days before the trade deadline, it sure doesn't look like theres that much trade talk stiring out there right now.

all we keep hearing about is soriano, abreu, maddox, and now carlos lee. nobody else is really talking about trying to aquire relievers at all. usually thats what teams really want at this time of the year, and theres just no talk about teams going out and picking up a reliever like ray king or even jose mesa for that streach run.

why is it this year teams are wanting more hitters opposed to more pitchers this year ? ...what am i missing here guys

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

I dont understand that myself Dan, about the hitters and pitchers part. It seems the teams that need pitching want hitters.

I think the thing about not much going on is, teams are still trying to figure out if they are in the hunt for the playoffs. Since so many in the NL are in the Wildcard chase.

But Carlos Lee or Alfonso Soriano to the Twins would be huge for them. They have the needed pitching, and could use the extra bat. I think they have enough young talent to trade with, so why not get that player that could put you over the top?

bigboydan

heres a trade that threw probly everyone for a curve ball.

the rangers aquired carlos lee from the brewers today for mench, nixon, and cordero.

i know Buck and Mench never got along at all, but i feel the rangers overpaid for Lee.

what i wanna know is now that this trade went down today, whats Soriano's trade value right now because it had to have just shot up thru the roof IMO

bigboydan

now that Miguel Tejada is on the trade block i think the astros will make the strongest push for his services. the sick part is the astros are fading like cheap wallpaper in the wild card race, and i don't feel he would help him get into the playoffs.

thrasher
    thrasher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

I think the dodgers should test the waters with their injury ridden all-star closer Eric Gagne. They could use another quality pitcher and maybe some more power in the batting line up. They are still not out of the race for the National League West title but they have to make their move very soon. I think this is the right time to get rid of Gagne. Also aside from a couple of teams everyone could use a quality closer for next year. Just my two cents.

spliff
    spliff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    the rangers aquired carlos lee from the brewers today for mench, nixon, and cordero.

i know Buck and Mench never got along at all, but i feel the rangers overpaid for Lee.
    I have to disagree with ya there bbd. Lee is a flippin stud. He is worth more than all of those guys by himself. Cordero set a ML record with 5 blown saves in April, and Nix was batting .094 before being sent back down. Mench is a nice player, but Carlos has major power, hits for average, and is AWESOME in the clutch.

Being a Brewer fan, I could deal with this. BUT, the GM for Milwaukee Douggie Melvin throws a top prospect in Nelson Cruz in the deal. WHY? Cruz was the Brewers' minor league player of the year last season. He hit .302 with 22 doubles, 20 home runs, 73 RBIs and 17 stolen bases in 104 games at Triple-A Nashville this year. You don't trade a guy like that away unless you get a great deal!

I feel Texas got a much better deal.

bigboydan

Bobby Abreu was just pulled out of the phillies lineup today, and the word is that cory lidle and him will become yankees at the end of the day.

bigboydan

looks like another trade happend today.

Ronnie Belliard gets traded to the cardinals for Hector Luna.

applepicks
    applepicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

Looks like the Bosox will need another bat now that T.Nixon just torn his wrist up. Surprising we haven't seen the Tigers trade away a arm for a bat. Maroth coming back in 2 weeks and the Tigers need another Bat, preferably a DH.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by applepicks
    Looks like the Bosox will need another bat now that T.Nixon just torn his wrist up.
    I seen that. Boy did John Lackey make Trot Nixon look silly on that swing. Completely fooled him with that pitch.

bigboydan

now that the yankees made a move. i think we all know the sox will make one or two. it might not be before the trade deadline, but we most likely will see one before the august 31st deadline.

bigboydan

the reports tonight are that the florida marlins are now interested in soriano now.

this does kind of fit the fishes mold though if you think about it. they always seem to do a fire sale after there championship years and rebuild. maybe they feel it's time to make another run championship run.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by applepicks
    Looks like the Bosox will need another bat now that T.Nixon just torn his wrist up. Surprising we haven't seen the Tigers trade away a arm for a bat. Maroth coming back in 2 weeks and the Tigers need another Bat, preferably a DH.
    I think other teams' needs for pitching far exceed Detroit's need for a bat. I wouldn't mess with that team at all.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

the reports tonight are that the florida marlins are now interested in soriano now.

this does kind of fit the fishes mold though if you think about it. they always seem to do a fire sale after there championship years and rebuild. maybe they feel it's time to make another run championship run.
    Well they are only 6.5 games back of the Wild Card leading Reds. Can they make a run of it this year? This deal would probably be to put them in the hunt next year.

The Marlins have some good young pitchers to deal with, since the Nationals want pitching for Alfonso Soriano. But I dont see Soriano going to the Marlins.

bigboydan

the latest rumors have andrew jones heading to the red sox for coco crisp and a minor leaguer.

bigboydan

whats this i hear about the astros owner has ordered brad lidge to be traded ?

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

the latest rumors have andrew jones heading to the red sox for coco crisp and a minor leaguer.
    Yean, I just read that too and honestly I dont know what to think. I heard the Braves asked Boston for Jon Lester to be the third player...
    Seems like the Braves, like the Phillies are starting to think about 07

bigboydan

i guess they realized that as soon as chipper will be going back on the DL they have no shot.

didn't we all see the red sox making a move though after the yankees did.

sergfro
    sergfro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

latest news on the Jones/Crisp trade:

Andruw Jones won't be traded to Boston with the Red Sox uninterested in giving up Coco Crisp, Jon Lester and Craig Hansen for him, says the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes.

There have been no additional discussions between the team, according to Edes. A rumor that had Jones going to Boston for Crisp and Mark Loretta appears to be bogus

Source: boston.com

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I heard the major sticking point was Boston not wanting to get rid of Lester.

sergfro

I'm kinda waiting to see what the Angels will do. I really hope they dont trade for Tejada or Soriano....I dont want to see the prospects leave. I read that the cubs werent asking much for Rameriz..Hope angels get him

sergfro

Astros offered: Oswalt, Ensberg and Everett for Tejada...Baltimore rejected....dummies!

Illusion

It's been realtively quiet thusfar and there's less than 80 minutes until the deadline.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by sergfro
    Astros offered: Oswalt, Ensberg and Everett for Tejada...Baltimore rejected....dummies!
    That is unreal. What a bunch of idiots.

sergfro

Kip Wells going to Boston it looks like

Bulldog

Well the Rangers just keep up piling bats.
    They got Matt Stairs today who is a pretty decent hitter imo.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I said no before but with Colon in the DL Texas just might become the team to beat in the AL West.
    Dont you think?

Illusion

It looks like Soriano is gonna stay with the Nationals. I guess they think they can workout a contract extension.

sergfro

Kip wells goes to Texas as well...still dont think they have enough to win the West

sergfro

For the Angels, with the call up of Howie Kendrick I think its a plus for the angels. It's Just like trading for another bat...this guy is a stud, flat out hit....he will be among the top in Average every year

sergfro

Yankees get Craig Wilson for Chacon...geez yanks send crap, get a decent hitter in return

Illusion

SI is reporting that the Dodgers have nabbed Maddux from the Cubs.

Illusion

Kyle Lohse goes to the Reds for Zack Ward.

Bulldog

I say good move from the Dodgers if true...
    Maddux is a veteran leader and could be rejuvinated by a pennant race...

sergfro

looks like no big trades..another dud year

Bulldog

Padres got Todd Walker from the Cubs.
    Here's a link with all of todays trades

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2535126

12 Last