Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Does anyone else think La Russa played it wrong in the ninth?

Winning run on third with one out, you need to walk Hamilton and go for the double play with Beltre. They had the 7,8,9, spots coming up in the ninth, (Punto, a career .249 hitter one of them) The Cards needed to go all or nothing in the top of the inning. The odds of them coming back and getting just one run in the bottom of the ninth are not good.

The other thing he did wrong was, you just got a walk to lead off the bottom of the ninth. Why not have Punto take a few pitches. Perez is overthrowing and is all over the place. Punto couldn't get the bunt down because he was so wild. If you could weasel out a walk with Punto, then you bunt and you have the top of the line up coming up.

I really thought La Russa blew it last night.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Ron Washington blew the game first, then LaRussa did what he always does. Overmanaged.

Ron Wash putting Ogando back in to face Allen Craig was the wrong move, but expected.

Larussa pulling his best relief pitcher for Authur Rhodes was typical of his overmanaging style.

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Winning run on third with one out, you need to walk Hamilton and go for the double play with Beltre. They had the 7,8,9, spots coming up in the ninth, (Punto, a career .249 hitter one of them) The Cards needed to go all or nothing in the top of the inning. The odds of them coming back and getting just one run in the bottom of the ninth are not good.

The other thing he did wrong was, you just got a walk to lead off the bottom of the ninth. Why not have Punto take a few pitches. Perez is overthrowing and is all over the place. Punto couldn't get the bunt down because he was so wild. If you could weasel out a walk with Punto, then you bunt and you have the top of the line up coming up.

I really thought La Russa blew it last night.
    I was yelling at the TV when this happened. What an idiot.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

That's what everyone here in St.Louis thinks sir. Then again you know how hometown fans are when it comes to ripping their teams.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

LaRussa completely blew it last night. I want sport sources to write articles, because they sure did when Tony made decisions that helped them win Game 1. Where are the nuthuggers now?

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post

Larussa pulling his best relief pitcher for Authur Rhodes was typical of his overmanaging style.
    Good point. That was the other thing. If you walk Hamilton, you still could have left Motte in to possibly get a strike out. The first guy that gone on, got on with a bloop single. It wasn't like Motte had nothing and was getting shelled.

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    That's what everyone here in St.Louis thinks sir. Then again you know how hometown fans are when it comes to ripping their teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    LaRussa completely blew it last night. I want sport sources to write articles, because they sure did when Tony made decisions that helped them win Game 1. Where are the nuthuggers now?
    You know I've read nothing where people criticizing him about last night. Thought it was just me.

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26823

the play that changed that inning was pujols tipping that ball and letting the runner get to 2nd base if this doesnt happen the 2nd run never scores after i saw motte get into that jam i bring in dotel to pitch to hamilton and with the way hamilton has been swinging the bat he probably would have struck him out walk the next batter and set up the dp

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

larussa didnt walk kirk gibson either.

Adm. Cowpollock
    Adm. Cowpollock's Avatar Become A Pro!

Arthur Rhodes hardly has a distinguished history of post-season performance. Does anyone remember how the Yankees smacked him around in the postseason when he was with the Orioles and Mariners? Does LaRussa? Yeah yeah yeah not relevant to today, but those Arthur meltdowns of postseasons past were the first thing I thought of when LaRussa summoned him from the pen.

Sure enough, Rhodesy gave it up ... not in a spectacular implosion, but gave it up nonetheless. Motte was your best strikeout chance. Hamilton was gimpy. Or walk him and set up the double play, sound strategy, and have Motte square off against Beltre. Let's not forget Motte was looking good, gave up that bloop that wouldn't even have been a hit if Cards OF was not playing back in doubles-prevent.

Tony blew it as far as I'm concerned. No would would have criticized him if he stuck with his strong hand, Motte, and the Rangers still scored, I don't think.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14852

Should have left Motte in. Guy has been money and could have gotten out of the jam.

HawkeyeIowa
    HawkeyeIowa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1863

I would have left Motte in.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

TLR and TT fukked the Cards.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Pujols screwed up when he let the go ahead runner get to 2nd. I'm no fan of LaRussa, but I'm quite sure he's managed more MLB games than anyone in the forum.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Im not questioning his ability to manage a MLB team! Im just saying if all the newswriters in the country our going to hang from his sack when he makes decisions that work, how about some negative comments when his style backfires!

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeIowa View Post
    I would have left Motte in.
    nah its only game 2, guy needs his confidence and swagger still 5 games to be played

good move pulling him

TexansFan

Part of the job. You get praised when moves work and you get hammered when they don't.

Regul8er
    Wordd

If thats the case, why am I not finding articles or newsclips from sport heads ripping on LaRussa???

I couldnt get on a sports website yesterday without seeing Tony's head.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO

If thats the case, why am I not finding articles or newsclips from sport heads ripping on LaRussa???

Not managing in New York has its advantages

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

You guys are second guessing way too much here. La Russa knew that Hamilton was not a deep ball threat in his injured state, and would likely be an easy out, so why walk him? What would you guys think if they walked Hamilton and then Beltre drove home the winning runs anyway?

The right call was made and the Cards just got unlucky here, nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by OTL; 10-21-11 at 12:48 PM.

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

hindsight is 20-20 you fukking bums get off Larussa's dikk he is the fukking man. He didn't tell Motte to go out there and fukk up.

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

but yeah thats baseball... yeah in hindsight he should have left motte in b/c he needed a strikeout.

but also Pujols cost the Cardinals more so than anyone.

TexansFan

Maybe it's just a few SBR posters who feel he made the wrong decision.

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by TexansFan View Post
    Maybe it's just a few SBR posters who feel he made the wrong decision.
    Jayson Stark from ESPN...

First, La Russa strolled toward the mound to yank Motte, a man who had given up one hit to the first 28 hitters he'd faced in this postseason -- and then allowed two in a row to start this inning. The manager said later he never would have made that move if Andrus hadn't been standing on second base.

So out went Motte, and in sauntered the ancient left-hander, 41-year-old Arthur Rhodes. It was La Russa's most debatable decision of a brilliant postseason. But he made it, he said, because he didn't want Hamilton to see fastballs in this spot and because "if you're thinking about how can you get an out and maybe not have [Andrus] go from second to third, I thought the left-hander had a better chance."

But this was where La Russian logic and reality went their separate ways. Rhodes hung a first-pitch slider. Hamilton lofted it to right. And not only did Kinsler score, but Andrus raced another 90 feet to third base, with just one out.

TexansFan

Jayson Stark from ESPN...
    The other poster stated nobody in the national media was questioning him, hence my response.

Bluehorseshoe

The other poster stated nobody in the national media was questioning him, hence my response.
    Isn't ESPN?

They're talking about La Russa's move right now on ESPN.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

well, i loved what he was doing until he pulled motte. i thought he had a great strategy to win the 1 run game. but why pull motte off the mound in that situation with hamilton?

TexansFan

Isn't ESPN?

They're talking about La Russa's move right now on ESPN.

You'll have to ask him, he said nobody was talking about LaRussa. I was being sarcastic back to him.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Kinsler was tagged out at 2nd.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Really paco?? Did you see the replay......clearly safe...Absolutely no dispute whatsoever!

Pew Pew
    Banned
    Pew Pew's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol i love you paco

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Pujols screwed up when he let the go ahead runner get to 2nd. I'm no fan of LaRussa, but I'm quite sure he's managed more MLB games than anyone in the forum.
    Are you proposing a ban on criticizing all managerial decisions for all managers? I'm quite sure all MLB managers have managed more MLB games than anyone on this forum.

Do we extend this criticism ban to other fields? Why criticize the president or other leaders? I'm sure they have more experience leading countries than anyone here.

Not only is this silly, but more importantly, it's no fun.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Really paco?? Did you see the replay......clearly safe...Absolutely no dispute whatsoever!
    He was out.

It's done, games over but......

He was still out

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

la russa is known for over managing

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO

I think La Russa must have hit the bottle too much after the Game 1 win.

12 Last