Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Right hip pain forces Mets to place Pedro on DL

NEW YORK -- All-Star ace Pedro Martinez was placed on the disabled list by the New York Mets on Thursday because of pain in his right hip.

Martinez missed his scheduled start on Monday and can now rest through the All-Star break.

"This is the perfect time to do this," Martinez said.

Martinez was chosen for the NL All-Star team but won't take part in next week's festivities in Pittsburgh, general manager Omar Minaya said. The move is retroactive to June 29, the day after the right-hander's last start.

Henry Owens was recalled from Double-A Binghamton to take Martinez's place on the roster. Owens will continue to work out of the bullpen for the Mets, who are trying to piece together a starting rotation while protecting a double-digit lead in the NL East.

Martinez (7-4) last pitched June 28 against the Red Sox in Boston when he allowed eight runs -- six earned -- and seven hits in just three innings.

The star pitcher revealed last week that he recently received a cortisone injection in his ailing hip. He felt similar discomfort last season, his first with the Mets, and aggravated the injury when he slipped in the bathroom and fell on his hip while changing his shirt during a series in Florida in May.

Since coming to the majors with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1992, Martinez has made several trips to the disabled list but none since signing with the Mets.

"My teammates have been urging me to do this so that I can be ready for the long run," Martinez said.

The Mets decided to put Martinez on the DL now so they can open up another roster spot for a pitcher. After Thursday night's series finale with Pittsburgh, New York will host Florida in a four-game weekend series that includes a doubleheader on Saturday.

"I don't want to pitch short another week," manager Willie Randolph said.

The Mets expect to make at least one more roster move before Saturday.

Randolph hasn't announced who will pitch this weekend except for the Sunday finale, the last game before the All-Star break, when left-hander Tom Glavine will start on his scheduled day.

Illusion

Oswalt replaces Martinez on N.L. All-Star roster

HOUSTON -- Astros ace Roy Oswalt will replace injured Pedro Martinez on the NL All-Star team.

Martinez (7-4) missed his start Monday and was placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a sore right hip.

Houston's Phil Garner, the NL manager, asked Oswalt to join the team after learning of Martinez's injury Thursday.

Oswalt will make his second consecutive All-Star appearance and joins Lance Berkman as the only Astros on the NL squad. Oswalt pitched one inning in last year's game in Detroit.

Oswalt (6-5) ranks sixth in the NL with a 3.10 ERA. He's pitched complete games in his last two starts and lost both, the first Astro to pull off the dubious double since J.R. Richard did it in 1979.

Oswalt is the only pitcher who's won 20 games the last two seasons and his 46 victories since the beginning of 2004 leads both leagues.

Oswalt was the MVP of the 2005 NLCS and is 4-0 in the postseason, the most playoff wins without a loss among active pitchers.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Another one of your fantasy starters gets injured.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Just gives him time off through the Allstar week. So he can relax and heal up. I guess Manny could of did something along these lines, but he would miss out on his stat padding.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    Another one of your fantasy starters gets injured.
    I caught that and actually had time to update my roster. I replaced him with Prior.