bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Notes from Saturday's games

the phillies blew a golden oppertunity to win this game, and blew it in the bottom of the 9th.

the astros blew a 5-1 lead, and lose again to the white sox.

KC wins

Notes from Saturday's games
    June 24, 2006

PHILADELPHIA: Bobby Abreu has reached based in 22 straight games after getting a single, a double and a walk. ... Reliever Rick White, claimed off waivers Friday from Cincinnati, is with his 10th team in seven years and said he has saved jerseys from the other nine in a chest but hasn't had a chance to display them. ``I haven't had time to do anything with it because I'm always with another team,'' he said. ... OF Chris Roberson was sent to Triple A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to make room for White. ... The Phillies struck out 15 times, with Pat Burrell fanning three times and Aaron Rowand, David Dellucci, David Bell and Sal Fasano twice each.

BOSTON: The Red Sox extended their club record to 12 games without an error. They have just three in 20 games and lead the majors in fielding percentage. ... Curt Schilling has allowed two unearned runs in 427 1-3 innings since joining Boston for the 2004 season. ... For the first time in nine games since returning to the leadoff spot, Kevin Youkilis went hitless. ... Boston is a season-high 16 games over .500. ... The Red Sox are a major-league best 10-1 in interleague play, tied with the Chicago White Sox. ... Trot Nixon and Mark Loretta have eight-game hitting streaks.

---

---

CINCINNATI: Reds hitters were baffled at being held to five hits over eight innings by soft-tossing RHP Paul Byrd in a 4-0 loss in Cleveland on Saturday. ``I don't know how he does it,'' said C David Ross, who went 1-for-3. ``He frustrates you. We hit a lot of balls on the screws. But you have to tip your hat to him.'' ... The Reds have not homered in five games, their longest stretch of the season. ... 2B Brandon Phillips has hit in nine straight games, going 11-for-29 (.379). ... DH Ken Griffey Jr., went 2-for-4 Saturday and is hitting .182 (4-for-22) in his last four games.

CLEVELAND: Manager Eric Wedge said Victor Martinez will likely be back at first base for the second time in his career with rookie Kelly Shoppach at catcher when LHP Jeremy Sowers makes his big-league debut Sunday. ... 1B Ben Broussard, who has platooned with Eduardo Perez all season, is not happy at having his playing time cut even more with the move of Martinez. ``If they don't want me in the lineup it's his (Wedge) call,'' said Broussard, hitting .333. ``I want to play and I'll prepare myself and be ready. That's all I can do.'' ... SS Jhonny Peralta went 2-for-4 Saturday and is hitting .485 (16-for-33) with six doubles, two homers and six RBIs over his last nine games.

---

---

HOUSTON: RHP Brandon Backe will pitch a simulated game before Sunday's contest at U.S. Cellular Field. Barring any setbacks, Backe - on the disabled list since April 14 with sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow- will make four rehab starts with Triple-A Round Rock. ``I'm feeling great. I'm ready. I can't wait to be out there,'' Backe said. He is tentatively scheduled to make his first rehab start on June 29 at Oklahoma City. ... 2B Craig Biggio was out of the lineup after leaving Friday's game with a sore shoulder. He said he was feeling a little better and planned to be the team's DH for Sunday's series finale. ``We don't want to compound it anymore,'' Biggio said. ``It's still there. I just want to let it calm down a bit and then DH tomorrow.'' ... Mike Lamb tied a career high with four hits. .. Chris Burke is batting .419 (18-for-43) in his last 12 games.

CHICAGO: The White Sox's nine-game winning streak is a season high. They are now a major league-best 29-10 at home and a season-high 24 games over .500. ... Joe Crede's grand slam was the fourth of his career, third of the season and second in two weeks. ... Paul Konerko said it was more coincidence than anything that reliever Chad Qualls gave up another first-pitch grand slam to Joe Crede on Saturday. Konerko hit one off him in Game 2 of the World Series in the same park. ``You can't help but remember,'' Konerko said. ``That guy is a tough reliever. ...You get brought into a situation with the bases loaded and you have to throw strikes. It kind of makes a hittable pitch more possible. It's not the easiest situation to be brought into. It's definitely kind of quirky with the two grand slams.''

---

---

FLORIDA: After Saturday's game was rained out, the Marlins were undecided on a starting pitcher for Sunday night in the finale of a day-night doubleheader. They plan to make a roster move after the first game and will probably bring up a pitcher from the minors to start the nightcap. ... 1B Mike Jacobs was in the lineup as the DH because of a sore right ankle. ... 2B Dan Uggla was not in the lineup again because of a tight hamstring. He is not expected to play until Florida returns home on Monday night against Tampa Bay.

NEW YORK: Injured RF Gary Sheffield sat in the dugout with two of his sons during Old-Timers' Day festivities. Sheffield has a cast on his surgically repaired left wrist, but he said it feels better since he got his stitches out recently. The slugger still expects to return in September. ``I feel like if I have a full September I can go into the playoffs 100 percent ready,'' Sheffield said. ``It's hard for me to sit here and watch.'' The 37-year-old Sheffield said he plans to play three more seasons after this one because he still has things he wants to accomplish. And he would like to play those seasons in New York. ``I hope so, but I don't control that. My thing is, I'm going to play three regardless,'' he said. Sheffield said the injury gets him out of having to change diapers - he and his wife had a baby boy, Noah, on June 15. ... After his recent setback, RHP Octavio Dotel is scheduled to resume his throwing program in nine days. Dotel is recovering from Tommy John surgery on his elbow last season.

---

---

OAKLAND: Dan Haren became the 425th pitcher to allow a homer by Barry Bonds, giving up a two-run shot in the first inning Saturday. Bonds was 0-for-6 with two walks in his career against Haren before blasting the right-hander's 3-0 pitch to right-center. ... SS Bobby Crosby broke an 0-for-11 slump with an RBI single in the first inning. The former rookie of the year believes he has escaped the swing difficulties that bothered him earlier in the season. ``(On Friday night) I took an 0-for-5 and I felt great,'' Crosby said. ``I just hit some balls at some people, and (Saturday) I got some through. It's definitely back to where it should be.'' Crosby went 2-for-4. ... When closer Huston Street gave up Ray Durham's three-run homer in the ninth, the A's lost for just the fourth time in 39 games this season when leading after eight innings. Street had allowed a run just once in his previous 13 appearances.

SAN FRANCISCO: Closer Armando Benitez could be headed for the disabled list after developing tenderness in his throwing elbow. Benitez wasn't available Saturday after blowing his fourth save of the season Friday night, giving up two runs in the ninth inning of the A's 4-3 victory. The Giants still were gathering information about Benitez's injury. ``It's an evolving process. We'll know more later,'' trainer Stan Conte said. ... OF Moises Alou felt better after another round of rehabilitation for the strained joint in his lower back. Manager Felipe Alou hopes his son, who missed his sixth straight game Saturday, can return to the lineup by Tuesday at the latest. ... RHP Matt Cain will start for the Giants on Sunday. In his last appearance against the A's, Cain threw a one-hitter.

---

---

NEW YORK: Manager Willie Randolph said OF Cliff Floyd (sprained ankle) will DH Monday in a rehab game in Florida. Floyd will do agility exercise until then. Randolph said they should know by the middle of the week when he'll return. ... SS Jose Reyes extended his hitting streak to 12 games with an infield single to lead off the game.

TORONTO: Closer B.J. Ryan has recorded at least one strikeout in 15 of his 17 appearances. ... RF Alex Rios broke his bat over his right knee after striking out in the eighth. ... Manager John Gibbons said with an off day RHP Casey Janssen will get an extra days rest and will pitch Friday. Gibbons said will keep RHP A.J. Burnett on his regular rest. Burnett returned Thursday after missing two months with elbow problems.

---

---

WASHINGTON: 3B Ryan Zimmerman snapped an 0-for-16 slump with an RBI double Saturday. ... 1B Nick Johnson returned to the lineup after missing five games with a lower back strain. ... LHP Mike O'Connor has one win in his last nine starts.

BALTIMORE: DH-C Javy Lopez recorded his 1,500th lifetime hit with an eighth inning single Saturday. ... C Ramon Hernandez hit his 13th HR Saturday, surpassing last year's total with San Diego. ... LHP Adam Loewen is winless in his first five major league starts. ... Orioles starters have allowed four runs in 28 IP over the last four games.

---

---

ST. LOUIS: Cardinals manager Tony La Russa says CF Jim Edmonds, who missed his third game because of a concussion, is day-to-day. ``The day he feels OK, he'll be playing,'' La Russa said Saturday. ``If he feels OK tomorrow, he'll play.'' ... St. Louis had lost four straight going into Saturday night's game. It was the team's second four-game losing streak of the season. The first was May 1-4.

DETROIT: Manager Jim Leyland held C Ivan Rodriguez out of the lineup as a precaution. Rodriguez has a bruise on his wrist from a foul ball on Friday night. ``He's ready to play,'' Leyland said Saturday. ``I think he's mad at me because he wants to play, but he'll play tomorrow. He's gotten beaten up pretty good, but he's tough as nails.'' Vance Wilson was behind the plate in Rodriguez's place. ... Leyland praised Tigers' 3B Brandon Inge, who has hit with power mostly from the No. 9 spot. ``When he figures out a few more things out about hitting, he's got a chance to be a player,'' Leyland said.

---

---

CHICAGO: Rookie Carlos Marmol's next start is uncertain, after the right-hander was rocked in a 7-2 loss on Friday to Minnesota. Manager Dusty Baker said he prefers Marmol as a long reliever, but options are limited in an injury-shellacked rotation. ``For two or three innings, the guy is lights out,'' Baker said. Marmol's next turn would be Wednesday against Milwaukee. Right-hander Angel Guzman is one possibility as a replacement. ... Rookie utility man Angel Pagan, who has been on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring for the past two months and playing extended spring training games in Arizona, is close to beginning his rehabilitation assignment, Baker said.

MINNESOTA: DH Rondell White's ailing shoulder may cause the Twins to hurry LF Shannon Stewart (foot) back from a rehab stint with Triple-A Rochester. But manager Ron Gardenhire said he wants Stewart to see plenty of action before returning. ``We want Shannon to get his games in,'' Gardenhire said. ``He hasn't played in three weeks or so.'' ... The Twins won't shuffle their rotation this week, meaning the Dodgers will face rookie phenom Francisco Liriano on Tuesday and ace Johan Santana on Wednesday. ``It's not bad for us,'' Gardenhire said. ``It's bad for the Dodgers, probably. I wouldn't want to face those guys back to back.'' ... Gardenhire refuted a newspaper report that Liriano was going to see a doctor about a possible ulcer. ``Liriano is not going because he has an ulcer to the doctor,'' he said. ``He's going to the dentist.''

---

---

MILWAUKEE: The Brewers have not gone two straight games this year without hitting at least one home run and have used 24 different pitchers, one short of the team record for a season. Three pitchers on the DL threw batting practice on Saturday, including two-time All-Star RHP Ben Sheets. Sheets has been out since May 3 with tendinitis in the right shoulder. He threw about 60 pitches, the first time he's thrown to hitters since going on the DL. Also getting some work were RHP Tomo Ohka and Jorge De La Rosa. Ohka, on the DL with a partial undersurface tear of the right rotator cuff, threw about 80 pitches.

KANSAS CITY: 1B Mike Sweeney said he plans to start a rehab assignment next week at Double-A Wichita. Sweeney has been on the DL since May 2 with a bulging disc. His absence in the lineup has been sorely felt as the Royals got off to the worst record this year in the major leagues. ``I'm going to leave Monday morning and play some games in Wichita and make my way back to Kansas City soon as possible,'' Sweeney said Saturday. SS Angel Berroa was back in the lineup after sitting out a game following his error on Thursday which infuriated manager Buddy Bell.

---

---

ATLANTA: RHP John Smoltz, who left after 1 2-3 innings in Friday night's game with a strained right groin, remains scheduled to throw off a bullpen mound on Sunday. ``He came in and gave a thumbs up,'' manager Bobby Cox said. ... Cox is looking forward to seeing LHP Chuck James, who is rejoining the team from Triple-A Richmond, start Sunday's game. ``We've seen him, but not starting,'' Cox said. ... CF Andruw Jones was the DH Saturday. ... RHP Kyle Davies, on the DL since May 16 with a torn right groin muscle, stopped his first batting practice session after throwing only eight pitches.

TAMPA BAY: Former sluggers Dave Kingman and George Foster, and standout left-hander Tommy John took part in a 1970's turn back the clock event. ``He could hit them high and long,'' said Devil Rays senior adviser Don Zimmer of Kingman's tape-measure homers. ... Manager Joe Maddon said CF Rocco Baldelli might get Sunday's day game off after playing Saturday night. Baldelli returned this month from arm and leg injuries that cost him 221 games. ``That's my biggest concern,'' Maddon said about the quick turnaround.

---

---

TEXAS: The Rangers hadn't had a pinch hit all season until Jason Botts' RBI single in the sixth inning Friday night. The Rangers are 1-for-7. Texas is on pace for the lowest number of pinch hits in franchise history. The record is eight in 1996. ... Michael Young is the all-time interleague batting leader of players with a minimum of 300 plate appearances. He's hitting .361. He also has hit in 13 straight interleague games and in 28 of his last 30 dating back to 2004. ... Hank Blalock is second in the AL with 26 two-out RBIs. The Rangers are hitting .309 with runners in scoring position, which is second in the AL.

COLORADO: OF Choo Freeman made his third straight start, this time against a right-hander, Robinson Tejeda. ``Choo is not being platooned,'' manager Clint Hurdle said. ``He isn't being platooned when he is playing against right-handers.'' ... Hurdle liked what he saw from SS Clint Barmes in his return from to the No. 2 spot in the order. ``He did some nice things with the bat,'' said Hurdle. Hurdle said batting second gave Barmes more chances to bunt and hit-and-run. ... Hurdle said OF Brad Hawpe's falling batting average was a mechanical problem with his hands. ``It's like dominos,'' Hurdle said. ``If they're not set right, they won't be falling right.''

---

---

LOS ANGELES: Before Saturday's game, the Angels placed 3B Dallas McPherson on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to Thursday with lower back spasms. McPherson originally was in the Angels lineup on Friday but was scratched after batting practice. ``His back really tightened up on him before the game,'' Angels manager Mike Scioscia said Friday night. Los Angeles recalled IF Erick Aybar from Triple-A Salt Lake to replace McPherson, who is hitting .266 with six homers and 12 RBIs. Aybar, making his second appearance on the Angels roster this season, was hitting .297 for Salt Lake with five homers, 27 RBIs and 17 stolen bases in 44 games. ... In addition to reaching base in 51 straight games entering Saturday's game, Orlando Cabrera has eight multi-hit games in his last 15 appearances and has hit safely in 26 of his last 31 contests.

ARIZONA: RF Shawn Green was given a rare night off Saturday, his fifth in the Diamondbacks' first 75 games. Only Orlando Hudson, Luis Gonzalez and Chad Tracy have appeared in more games for Arizona this season. Green was 1-for-4 on Friday but left the bases loaded in the fifth inning of the Diamondbacks' 8-2 loss to the Angels. Jeff DaVanon, who spelled CF Eric Byrnes on Friday, took Green's spot in right. ... Arizona entered Saturday night as the only team without a win in interleague play. ... RHP Enrique Gonzalez had walked six batters in his first 27 major-league innings this season, then walked four in the first inning on Friday. ... Manager Bob Melvin moved 1B Conor Jackson into the cleanup spot Saturday for just the 11th time this season. Jackson was 2-for-3 and drove in one of the Diamondbacks' two runs on Friday.

---

---

SEATTLE: RHP Sean Green was recalled from Triple-A Tacoma Saturday as the Mariners were in need of a fresh arm in the bullpen. RHP Emiliano Fruto, who was 0-0 with a 4.50 and pitched scoreless 1 2-3 innings Friday, was optioned to Tacoma. Green, who was sent to Tacoma on June 8, allowed two earned runs in nine innings. He was 0-1 with one save. He is 4-1 with four saves and an a 1.64 ERA in 14 games overall with Tacoma. ``We were in a similar situation when we brought Fruto up, it's just the reverse,'' said Mariners manager Mike Hargrove. ``Obviously Emiliano did nothing to deserve to be sent out. Just like Green didn't deserve it when we sent him out earlier in the month. We needed a fresh arm.''... Kenji Johjima is batting a team high .412 (14-for-34) against the National League this year. He has scored six runs, has three doubles, three home runs and seven RBIs. His Interleague slugging percentage is .765.

SAN DIEGO: RHP Jake Peavy, who threw eight solid innings Friday night, had an MRI on his right shoulder Saturday morning instead of the originally planned test on Monday.'' The MRI was good and they (medical staff) are very pleased with what the MRI showed. And it looks like Jake is getting completely over the tendinitis and throwing the ball very well his last two starts. Peavy allowed one run on six hits in eight innings Friday, striking out nine while walking one. What the MRI showed was very normal for a pitcher his age (25). It didn't show anything that would be cause for concern. ... Brian Giles, who drove in the winning run Friday night, has hit safely in 11 of his last 12 games. Over that stretch he batting .464 (13-for-28) with three doubles and six RBIs.

---

---

---

PITTSBURGH: Manager Jim Tracy is trying to get more consistency from his pitching staff, which issued 28 walks over the previous four games and allowed 13 of those baserunners to score in back-too-back losses to the Royals and Dodgers. ``It's the youth of some of the people that we're dealing with, it's the mechanical aspect, it's the ability to be consistent and repeat the delivery that's going to give you an opportunity to throw strikes consistently,'' Tracy said. ``Adversity in this game finds its way to everybody, and there are going to be pitfalls. But through the course of the pitfalls, there's a learning curve. And if you stay the course, you're going to start to get the results you're looking for - because they're all capable.'' ... 3B Freddy Sanchez entered Saturday second in the NL batting race, four points behind Nomar Garciaparra of the Dodgers. The Pirates have not had a league batting champ since Bill Madlock in 1983. Sanchez became a regular while Joe Randa was on the disabled list. ``From day one, Freddy Sanchez has done whatever we're asked him to do,'' Tracy said. ``He's a winning player, he's a thinking man's player and has become a terrific offensive player.'' ... The Pirates' nine-game losing streak entering Saturday was their longest since a 10-game slide in 1968, when they finished 80-82 under manager Larry Shepard. That was the last season before divisional play began. ... Pirates LHP Paul Maholm turns 24 years old on Sunday.

LOS ANGELES: Now that former Dodgers pitcher Kevin Brown is no longer around to complain about Nancy Bea Hefley's choice of tunes or intimidate her, the team's longtime organist is gleefully playing ``The Pirates Song'' before every game of this series with Pittsburgh. On July 17, 2000, after the Bucs scored three first-inning runs on a bases-loaded double by Brian Giles against Darren Dreifort, Brown was incensed that Hefley followed up with a song with the opponents' nickname in the title - even though it originated from Disneyland's ``Pirates of the Carribean'' ride and had nothing to do with baseball. ``He wasn't even pitching that night,'' Hefley recalled. ``But he called up and said, `Tell that organist not to play Pirate theme music when they're ahead of us.' So that was the end of it until he left.'' ... With injured closer Eric Gagne's status uncertain because of his troublesome elbow, all Dodger Stadium's souvenir stands have reduced their Gagne merchandise 30 percent across the board. Gagne made only two appearances between stints on the disabled list, following his surgery on April 7. ... RHP Brett Tomko, limited to five innings in his victory on Friday night because of a strained left oblique muscle, said on Saturday that he felt better but was still sore and won't know anything about his next scheduled start for at least a couple of days.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Angels @ Diamondbacks
    Diamondbacks blow a 4-0 lead in the 7th, letting the Angels tie it up 4-4. Then it was on to the 13th where the Angels hit a 2 run shot in the top to take the lead. Angels won 6-4.

Cardinals @ Tigers
    Jason Isringhausen blows another save, and lets the Tigers tie it 6-6 in the bottom of the 9th with a Marcus Thames 2 run shot. Tigers take advange of new life, and win the game in the 10th on a walk off double from Polanco. Tigers won 7-6.

Athletics @ Giants
    Barry Bonds had 1 homerun, 3 RBI and one of the winning runs when Ray Durham hit the walk off 3 run homerun in the bottom of the 9th. To give the Giants a 8-7 win, after trailing 5-7 going into the 9th.

No surprise by me on that Royals win Dan. They have been killing the NL this week.