AlwaysDrawing
    AlwaysDrawing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

No unders shouldn't push. They should LOSE

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysDrawing View Post
    Nothing could take those runs off the board. How would you be able to angle shoot games this way?

How is it fair I got my money back despite clearly losing my bet--what could have happened that would have changed the outcome?
    I am just explaining why the rule is in place, not saying whether I agree or disagree with it. I guess I am neutral since the rule has been in place since the beginning of time so I'm already numb to it. But I do understand the book's point of view.

AlwaysDrawing

Also, in the same way tennis matches aren't "finite" as you say, runs scored in baseball aren't finite. Match length is irrelevant as long as if it doesn't meet regulation time all wagers are graded no action or if the over has been exceeded, then overs win and unders lose.

LT Profits

No unders shouldn't push. They should LOSE
    You knew what I meant. I meant if a game is over, player wins and if a game is under, player pushes.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    But WHEN it occurs, the books would be in a no-win position if overs win and unders push. That is the very reason for the rule.
    Not true. When it occurs, unders lose and overs win.

Books win as usual. The books DON'T win when they no action everything.

yisman

Tennis is a different animal because matches are not a finite length, whereas all baseball totals are based on nine innings.
    It's all the same to me.

If a tennis match gets to 42 games, there's no way for it to go under 40.5

If a baseball game gets to 16 runs, there's no way for it to go under 9.

AlwaysDrawing

You knew what I meant. I meant if a game is over, player wins and if a game is under, player pushes.
    Assuming books take balanced action on totals, they would prefer to grade my way. DUCY?

Also, I don't see how anyone could angle shoot using my grading. Even if you could perfectly predict the weather, it's impossible to guess what games will be called early, since so few games get called early, and so many more games are delayed and then finished.

Jedi Mind Picks
    Jedi Mind Picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalbrother View Post
    awesome that you could go from winning an over in the top of the 3rd to pushing. lol
    Exactly what happened to me.....

LT Profits

Again, I am only explaining why the rule exists. If books change the rules to what you guys are proposing, then they will also adjust MLB totals a tad higher to account for the possibility, especially if rain is in the forecast.

AlwaysDrawing

The only redeeming factor about the current rules is they are STANDARD across books. That way, hedging and scalping are still possible without the added risk of rules differences (see: tennis).

Still, if Cris or Pinny changed their rules, others would follow.

AlwaysDrawing

Again, I am only explaining why the rule exists. If books change the rules to what you guys are proposing, then they will also adjust MLB totals a tad higher to account for the possibility, especially if rain is in the forecast.
    How many games are called early per season?

My guess is "a tad higher" couldn't be more than a 2c move at Pinny, if that. Even without moving the line, the book would make the vig on games like today, unless some angle shooters came in with perfect knowledge of 4pm games getting called early because rain was in the forecast.

So, as far as it goes, I see the books position (presented by LT) as plausible, though still inferior to grading using the conditional A. Game completes in regulation, or B. Total is exceeded method of grading.

LT Profits

So, as far as it goes, I see the books position (presented by LT) as plausible, though still inferior to grading using the conditional A. Game completes in regulation, or B. Total is exceeded method of grading.
    And that's fine, now stop shooting the messenger.

AlwaysDrawing

Don't take it personally LT. I respect your posts, and in this case, I just disagree with the status quo, which is the side you chose to present. I would have treated any other poster the same.

As far as it goes, I'm happy to save the money, which I re-invested in the Giants under, which I also got lucky and pushed. Someone is looking out for my $300 today.

LT Profits

Don't take it personally LT. I respect your posts, and in this case, I just disagree with the status quo, which is the side you chose to present. I would have treated any other poster the same.

As far as it goes, I'm happy to save the money, which I re-invested in the Giants under, which I also got lucky and pushed. Someone is looking out for my $300 today.
    Actually, my whole intent with my initial post was to just try and explain why the rule was in place, it was not intended to start a debate on whether it is right or wrong, especially since I personally don't care one way or another. And LOL at your Indians under / Giants under "parlay". God is with you today.

yisman

No, they wouldn't. They'd simply base the lines on action, as usual. If bettors starting betting more overs, then the totals would get higher.

Your argument makes no sense.

If you're saying people are "freeloading" if they bet the over, then people who bet tennis overs are also "freeloading" in the rare event that someone retires after games have already gone over.

This is simply inconsistent and wrong.

I got screwed.

First 12