Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

How Did Tony La Russa Cost The Cardinals The Game This Time?

A masterpiece of overmanaging in the bottom of the eighth, with two position changes, three pitching changes and an intentional walk that would come around to score the winning run. David Schoenfield has more, but the bottom line is that John Mozeliak should probably decline the option to expand the roster on September 1st.

SaintsFan
    SaintsFan's Avatar Become A Pro!

great article. I love love love this point:

So La Russa will trust anybody in a one-run or tie game in the eighth inning, but didn’t trust anybody but Motte to close out a three-run lead on Sunday?
    LaRussa is an overrated, meddling, ego-maniacal blowhard.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10250

Quote Originally Posted by Bcatswin View Post
    A masterpiece of overmanaging in the bottom of the eighth, with two position changes, three pitching changes and an intentional walk that would come around to score the winning run. David Schoenfield has more, but the bottom line is that John Mozeliak should probably decline the option to expand the roster on September 1st.

Good analysis of La Russa's game style.
    Tony should go back to passing out at red lights,
    stone drunk, and let the game take it's logical flow.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Baseball will be a better sport once he leaves.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

And yes I had STL -125 yesterday

SaintsFan
    SaintsFan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hate when managers don't use their closer in a tie game. Why is using a closer to save a 3-run game more important than using him with a game tied? It makes no ******* sense.

I used to LOVE betting the Yanks because Girardi NEVER hesitated to use Rivera in tie games, but for some reason (maybe b/c Mo is aging) he has hardly ever done it this year. But it begs the point - wouldn't Rivera be more valuable holding down the fort in a 4-4 game than closing out a 4-1 lead? You should use your best players in the most clutch spots.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

Problem is LaRussa and pitching coach Dave Duncan are a package deal. Dave Duncan is irreplaceable, and the organization knows it. LaRussa would have been out long time ago if it wasn't for this.

Does a good job overall, but has mismanaged the bullpen for over 15 years now. It's a give/take that Cards fans just got used to.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

He's done this his whole career.

notsosharp
    notsosharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

It really came down to holliday coming up with a 2-2 score bases loaded one out 2-0 count and he hits into a double play. The cardinals pay this guy 18 million a year. The pitcher even got a hit in this inning. It seems holliday only gets hits when it does not matter. This is what cost the cardinals all year is matt holdiay hitting into double plays. It is not Larussa it really has came down to their power hitters hitting into double plays. Pujols and holliday have into a bunch this year almost record numbers.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10250

Quote Originally Posted by notsosharp View Post
    It really came down to holliday coming up with a 2-2 score bases loaded one out 2-0 count and he hits into a double play. The cardinals pay this guy 18 million a year. The pitcher even got a hit in this inning. It seems holliday only gets hits when it does not matter. This is what cost the cardinals all year is matt holdiay hitting into double plays. It is not Larussa it really has came down to their power hitters hitting into double plays. Pujols and holliday have into a bunch this year almost record numbers.

It really comes down to giving up the lead unneccessarily.

The Cardinals have hit into more double plays, than any club in baseball in either league. Some will argue that's the result of the Cardinals high team batting average, which translates into more base runners, thus more opportunities to hit into double plays.
    To a certain extent that reasoning is valid, however, if the Cardinals traditionally put a lot of base runners on during a normal game, it would seem worth the risk to have runners on the move via the Steal or Hit & Run instead of staying stationary hoping for a home run or a hit into the gap.
    This NON-AGGRESSIVE offensive play on the base paths leaves the pitcher confident he can devote his full attention to getting the batter out, and only a courtesy throw over to first every now and then is sufficient.
    This situation allows the pitcher to throw "his" pitch to the batter, resulting in a record setting year of hitting into double plays. The double play is not only the pitcher's best friend, but it breaks the moral of a baseball team quicker than any other offensive play. It really doesn't matter if your lead off hitter reaches first base safely every inning, if he's just put out by the next hitter in a DP.
    National league baseball historically played aggressive offense on the base paths while the American league lumbered along with power hitting. Both styles are effective, however to mix one style with another for a full year is not productive, as the Cardinals are finding out as they slip into oblivion and out of the playoff picture.

zinger
    zinger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

Last night's game was crazy. The whole bottom of the 8th switcheroo was stupid. I can see Larussa doing it, but Hurdle? He was acting like it was his team trying to get the wild card. Being a hometown Pirates fan, this is what ticks me off. I couldn't believe that the Pirates were .500 in July. I was excited, but then the ship sank. Hurdle just let the team slide. September callups happen, and they put Pedro Alvarez at 3rd again. And the Pirates win.

Oh well. Hopefully tonight won't be the same. I hope the Cardinals pound away on Karstens early, like they did the last time they faced him.

jstblaze
    jstblaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I had STL last night, last game in a 6 team parlay!

I will not be playing the game tonight, but hope STL gets embarassed anyways just to make me feel better.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Larussa is one of problems in stl

too old and outdated

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

all you need to do is hit your clean up hitter 9th and and when the bases are loaded with no outs put on the suicide squeeze this will fool them