BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Marmol, Valverde, Gregg, and Isringhausen....

Who else can we add to this list? These guys are garbage. I can't count how many times these closers have burned me this season.

How can you be a professional pitcher and not be able to throw strikes? Moreover, how can you be a closer when you throw meat and flat out suck?

Valverde tried to screw me today. He walks the lead off batter in the 9th, which is very typical when my team is leading by only one run in the last inning, then the dumbass hits a batter after having an 0-2 count. He then falls behind 3-1 on the next batter but Cleveland sacrifices the runners over...thank goodness, I'm sure he would have walked him. Then he somehow gets lucky and the game ends.

Cleveland had two runners in scoring position without even getting a hit. It was ridiculous.

As for Isringhausen, I'm so glad he doesn't play for the Cardinals anymore. I can't count how many times this guy blew games. He can't throw strikes and throws like 88 mph down the middle.

So my question is, why are these loses closers? Everytime one of them comes in the game you're on the verge of losing. At the very least these guys should be able to throw strikes. They're supposed to be professionals. They typically walk the lead off batter which leads to a sac bun and then there is a guy in scoring position with one out and it's just complete luck if they get out of it.

bostonboss
    bostonboss's Avatar Become A Pro!

bobby jenks when with the white sox.......he always killed me.

Slider612
    Slider612's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dont forget Cordero,COCO

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Marmol
    Gregg
    Isringhausen

Valverde..

This guy is solid, wasn't good today but he's been pitching well and does have his saves for a reason.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by Slider612 View Post
    Dont forget Cordero,COCO
    Yeah. He sucks now too. He used to be good but he doesn't seem to have it anymore.

Allure

Nuff said.

Slider612

Yea Valverde, he only walked 28 batters in 54 innings this year I dont know about solid,shakey mabe

BigDofBA

The Pirates closer has been great all year until today when I had them and he blows the lead in the 9th. Then Pitt strands the tieing from in scoring position with only one out.....

GoBlue23
    Penetrate
    GoBlue23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3169

Brian Wilson has been a bum this year. Most overrated closer (possibly pitcher) in baseball.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

HAHA Im harping on Isringhausen every day, guy is garbage, shouldnt be in league. Id rock this loser.

iMxth3xbossx5000
    iMxth3xbossx5000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

Isrenhausen is a fukkin stupid ass muthafukka man... Yesterday he blew a 9-7 lead by the mets into the 9th inning...he practically walked 2 guys, gave up a hit and then walked another guy to give a free run... Guy is pure garbage...he needs to go back to the minors..

Allure

Agree with the walks, but Valverde still gets the saves and that's what counts - to me.

But no one sucks more than Fuentes. Stopped counting how many bets I lose because of this bum.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

Found this on Ebay for $4, overpriced or what?

Slider612

Yep,Fuentes has killed me in the past,not just a few times either.

jollyoscars
    jollyoscars's Avatar Become A Pro!

they suck, but u must be bad at evaluating talent to even roster them in the first place. no offense tho lol

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

For Wilpon keeping a bum like Isringhausen on the roster I dont feel so bad for fleecing him now.

BigDofBA

I'm glad everyone realizes how bad Isringhausen sucks. I hated him so much when he was on the Cardinals. He blew a ton of games and that was in his prime.

Seeing him as a closer now is just laughable. The dude throws 85-88 mph and he can't throw strikes. The only way for him to get batters out is if they chase his pitches that are in the dirt. When he gets it over the plate, he gets hit hard.

gangeriver
    The Best Closer!
    gangeriver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Valverde?? maybe you should add his name on the solid closers list. meanwhile Lidge is another garbage name

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by gangeriver View Post
    Valverde?? maybe you should add his name on the solid closers list. meanwhile Lidge is another garbage name
    I may have jumped the gun on him but the few times I have played the Tigers he has made me sweat or blown the lead.

Redscot
    Redscot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5802

Kinda comes with the territory for closers, relievers in general. Few guys can put up results year after year. Makes you respect that much more the guys who get it done. Hoffman, who got honored in SD today for instance, and he did it with the change his dominant pitch. So little margin for error, these guys need some breaks too to maintain
    their success.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

Quote Originally Posted by Redscot View Post
    Kinda comes with the territory for closers, relievers in general. Few guys can put up results year after year. Makes you respect that much more the guys who get it done. Hoffman, who got honored in SD today for instance, and he did it with the change his dominant pitch. So little margin for error, these guys need some breaks too to maintain
    their success.
    Doesnt make me respect closers, they have the easiest jobs, usually come in with a 2 of 3 run lead in the bottom of the ninth for an innings work, fresh while hitters arnt. I respect more the middle relief, the guys who come in with runners on and all types of pressure, trying to work through jams. Isringhausen is not the guy to bring in in those type of conditions. Im telling you my high school team would have feasted on that guy.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by BernardMadoff View Post
    Found this on Ebay for $4, overpriced or what?

Yet this bum has 300 saves in his career.

He got his 300th save last week and has not recorded an out since.

Saves are the most trash stat in baseball. Ans Valverde is trash. He walks way too many batters. His whole season has been him vs the law of averages. Once he stops strandng batters he will be another trash closer in the landfill.

Machine Choice
    Machine Choice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2736

Add KC's Soria to this list. He's a "closer" with a 4.10 ERA and has personally blown more than 15 games this year. If KC could have those games back, they might be in contention in the weak Central.

Redscot

Doesnt make me respect closers, they have the easiest jobs, usually come in with a 2 of 3 run lead in the bottom of the ninth for an innings work, fresh while hitters arnt. I respect more the middle relief, the guys who come in with runners on and all types of pressure, trying to work through jams. Isringhausen is not the guy to bring in in those type of conditions. Im telling you my high school team would have feasted on that guy.

I agree totally. The save rule is a bunch of BS, and the money these guys make in comparison to the middle relief guys you mentioned is out of proportion. My main point was the difficulty of ANY reliever putting up 3 straight good seasons for example. Now, it also has to be said that not everyone can be a closer. Many a good set up guy has fallen on their face when pushed into the roll, so they do deal with a different element/dynamic at times than the middle reliever.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

If you have a good fastball and slider and can place it you probably can make 10 mil easy being a closer. Most middle relief guys Ive seen have the stuff but not the fastball it seems. A guy who cant hit 90 shouldnt be a closer IMO unless he has some wicked movement like Maddux and you just dont see that often.

Redscot

If you have a good fastball and slider and can place it you probably can make 10 mil easy being a closer. Most middle relief guys Ive seen have the stuff but not the fastball it seems. A guy who cant hit 90 shouldnt be a closer IMO unless he has some wicked movement like Maddux and you just dont see that often.
    Agreed, as you say, you don't see that very often. Trever Hoffman did it, year in and year out. Not sure if you are a youngster or not Bernie, but if you are, and didn't see it, you wouldn't believe the career he had if you saw his fastball. I could mention John Franco too, but lefties are a different breed and can get by without the cheese.

Redscot

Also, it is not that easy dude. Not everyone is wired for center stage. Stuff and a token will get you on the subway. A closer needs intangibles.

BigDofBA

Soria does suck. I had the Royals earlier in the year and the White Sox scored 6 runs off of him after the first two batters got out. It was ridiculous. The dude seriously couldn't get anyone out after the first two guys.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

Quote Originally Posted by Redscot View Post
    Also, it is not that easy dude. Not everyone is wired for center stage. Stuff and a token will get you on the subway. A closer needs intangibles.
    No doubt I agree, but these guys are overrated and shouldnt be paid the big bucks over some others IMO. Nobody talks about middle relief guys who are some that thrive and get it done alot more often than not? Probably cant name 5 and thats sad, those guys are the key to most games.

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    I may have jumped the gun on him but the few times I have played the Tigers he has made me sweat or blown the lead.
    He hasnt blown a save all year. Not too many closers you can say that about. Id say of the 37 saves he has probably only had a handful that go 1-2-3 though

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by HOT WINGS View Post
    He hasnt blown a save all year. Not too many closers you can say that about. Id say of the 37 saves he has probably only had a handful that go 1-2-3 though
    I could have sworn he blew the lead in a game I bet earlier this year. Maybe he gave up a run and still held on....

It just seems like whenever I see him trying to close a game out, he walks people and gives up hits yet somehow miraculously gets out of it.

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    I could have sworn he blew the lead in a game I bet earlier this year. Maybe he gave up a run and still held on....

It just seems like whenever I see him trying to close a game out, he walks people and gives up hits yet somehow miraculously gets out of it.
    He blew a few tied games but not any save chances. Although I agree that most of them are not easy. He likes to make it as dramatic as possible.

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Valverde is 38/38 in save opps, idiotic comment

DemoralizdDreamr
    DemoralizdDreamr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Frank Fransisco and Rauch from the blue jays. Matt capps from twins. houstion street. walden, melancon... there are quite a few

BigDofBA

Gregg is complete trash. How can he be a major league closer???? I mean really? There has to be someone in in the bullpen that is better than him.