I've got no effin' idea what Colorado is thinking on this deal Not that Marrero is leading them anywhere this year. But why in the hell do you take a guy like Matsui and pay him anything to go play on your Triple-A club? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I just don't get this one.

Marrero, with his versatility will fit in nicely on the Mets' bench. Will be interesting to see if Jose Valentin and Chris Woodward maybe share the NYM 2B job, or if the Metropolitans go out and get someone else. Dare I say, Soriano????

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2477398
NEW YORK -- The New York Mets have dealt second baseman Kaz Matsui and cash to the Colorado Rockies for catcher/first baseman Eli Marrero.

And according to media reports, the Mets paid the Rockies dearly to take Matsui off their hands.

Before the trade became official on Friday, Newsday reported that according to a person familiar with the details, the Mets would pay Morrero the $477,000 remaining on his contract and send the Rockies about $4.6 million. The Mets owe Matsui about $5.1 million on his current contract, the newspaper reported.

The Rockies optioned Matsui to Triple-A Colorado Springs and recalled outfielder Jorge Piedra.

Signed by the Mets to a $20.1 million, three-year contract before the 2004 season, Matsui never showed the talent that made him an All-Star and MVP in Japan. He struggled at shortstop in his first year with New York, and later got moved to second base. The 30-year-old Matsui was hitting .200 with one home run and seven RBI in 38 games. For three straight seasons, he has homered in his first at-bat of the year.

The 32-year-old Marrero batted .217 with four homers and 10 RBI in 30 games for Colorado. He has started in right field, left field, first base and catcher this season.

Marrero has hit .244 with 64 homers, 256 RBI and 54 stolen bases while playing for St. Louis, Atlanta, Kansas City, Baltimore and Colorado.