nickman558
    nickman558's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hot news : Giants sign Renteria to 2-year, $18-million deal

The San Francisco Giants have reportedly signed free-agent shortstop Edgar Renteria to an $18 million contract. New York radio station WFAN, citing sources, reported on Monday that San Francisco signed the 33-year-old to a two-year deal. If so, Detroit would receive San Francisco's second-round pick in next summer's First-Year Player Draft as compensation for Renteria, a Type A free agent.

A career .290 hitter, Renteria batted .270 with 10 homers and 55 RBIs in 503 at-bats in 2008. The five-time All-Star and two-time Gold Glove Award winner was paid $10 million this season, his second in the American League. Renteria played for Boston in 2005. The rest of his 13-year career has been spent in the National League with stints in Florida, St. Louis and Atlanta.

more here : xxx.com
    Last edited by Willie Bee; 11-25-08 at 05:25 AM. Reason: removed link, future posts with link will be moved to P&L forum

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

Poor fielder, declining hitter, giving up a pick, not a very good signing.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Heard the A's and Giants were looking at Renteria, but nothing signed yet. Believe our newbie just wanted to get his blog URL posted.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

If Sabean signs this guy, its then end. Please get rid of this guy, he has no imagination. The Giants haven't developed a position player since Reagan was in office the signing of players well past their prime has become a tired theme of his time as GM.

Free the Giants!!

Victor
    Victor's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't know what science goes behind... but wasn't looking fruitful for the Giants.. well best of luck to them...

smitch124

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

As a life long Giants fan I'll say I absolutely hate this signing...just when Sabean was starting to look a little better too.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just what direction are the Giants really going anyways besides being cellar dwellers. They really need to rebuild this team starting in their farm system and not from over priced washed up free agents.

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    Just what direction are the Giants really going anyways besides being cellar dwellers. They really need to rebuild this team starting in their farm system and not from over priced washed up free agents.
    Seriously. Like I said, I'm a fan...I like the direction we appeared to be headed. A great young pitching staff, a few good looking young hitters, and a nice draft. If there was ever a time for ownership to just go ahead and pocket the money it's now with this move...$18 mil for 2 seasons of Renteria is as bad as it gets...well almost as bad as it gets, Zito takes the cake there.

smitch124

Giants' management has the imagination of a Turnup, fire em all and start over....I'm done with the lot of them.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I still will NEVER understand why Bochy wanted to leave the Padres and go to the Giants. Was always a Bochy fan, but that is one of the worst career moves in history, unless he lives five minutes from AT&T Pak and just wanted to take wasted commute time out of his life.