Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Didn't look all that bad to me. It looks like the catcher BARELY got his leg and completely missed his arm. In fact, the arm wasnt even close. But the announcer said he got his arm so people assume he did.

Just fast forward to :55 seconds in.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QuFF6hCBJgI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

This call wasn't nearly as bad as Joyces blown call to ruin Galaraga's perfect game. Not even close.

Dabeergod
    Da Big D Boyz !!!
    Dabeergod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

What a call.....damn

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

the ball beat him by atleast 4 feet.

how do you KNOW lugo is out at home??? look at his fukkin expressions during the whole thing. its plane as fukkin day

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Tough, he's a professional, you are a professional in your line of work, I'm a professional in I/T.
    If there is a system problem and I'm tired, I can't tell the boss, I'm tired, I'm going home.

Umps get paid to call the plays right, suck it up, if you have to call 30 innings, too bad, it's your job.
    Umps do get paid to make the right calls, players get paid to make hit the ball and make perfect throws. But players strike out and make bad throws. We all screw up at what we do.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Cap dat 4ss

linedrivr
    I'm your huckleberry
    linedrivr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 432

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Ump wanted to go home theory
    got that right. Do these blind umps get fined for this bs. Pirates should protest this game with MLB. THAT IS JUST WRONG!

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

Rudy, did you watch the video. I'm not saying he wasn't tagged. Nor am I saying that Lugo actually thinks he's safe. But the catcher does NOT get much mit on him. It's not that hard to see with the angle of the ump and how little mit he actually got on the runner why the ump MAY have thought he was safe.

On a side note, not to justify him missing the call but the umps are out there longer than anyone else and don't get to sit down every half inning. Guy behind home has been crouched down for 19 innings and is wearing tons of gear underneath his clothes and it was hot and muggy.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

10 Hours later, and Lugo still has not touched Home Plate.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by mtneer1212 View Post

And for those of you saying he was safe -- you are probably also the ones who think Obama deserves another 4 years.
    How dare you!

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post
    Didn't look all that bad to me. It looks like the catcher BARELY got his leg and completely missed his arm. In fact, the arm wasnt even close. But the announcer said he got his arm so people assume he did.

Just fast forward to :55 seconds in.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QuFF6hCBJgI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

This call wasn't nearly as bad as Joyces blown call to ruin Galaraga's perfect game. Not even close.
    exactly it was a bang bang play and you can see why it was called that way.

the blame should be on the catcher for not applying the tag until runner is called out, instead of a quick swipe like a slick fielding 2nd baseman.

plus pitt left 9 baserunners on base in the extras including 2nd & 3rd in the 17th and 18th.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

They didn't get robbed. If they were up 4-3 and the Braves tied the game you can argue that they were robbed of a win. The only thing they were robbed was the "chance" to maybe win the game in later innings but they were not robbed of a win.

Rixsaw
    Rixsaw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Quote Originally Posted by dherd View Post
    i didnt have any money on it so it isnt sour grapes, but i just happened to notice they were still playing in the 17th so i watched til the end - the 19th when the pirates clearly had a braves runner out going home by literally three feet when umpire called him safe. no doubt the worst call i have ever seen. so if you had the pirates money line you were robbed, if you had braves = your luckier than a dog with two dicks.
    Finally something goes my way. Everyone wanted to go home, rest and get ready for the next day; myself included. Nice to cash in to cover for the pathetic Reds. The Reds can't even beat the fuking Muts at home. Pathetic....pathetic...

RudyRuetigger

i watched everything including live

if the ump was in a bad position thats his fault

if the ump was tired, thats his fault.

hes not the only person in the world that has had to work a double shift

the ump clearly cant judge body language of "did he tag him" "was he safe" while the play is on the field. but when people review the video and watch lugo's expression, you can clearly see he knew he was out. it baffles me people still try to argue he was safe even after the fukkin runner knows hes out clear as day.

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

MLB is just as rigged as NBA or any other lame sport.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

espn analysing replay and even they admit he may have missed the tag.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

first time ive been mad about a pirates loss in o i duno EVER! not like theyve played many meaningful games in my adult life.

the blown call is one thing, they may have not scored a run in a 30 inning game the way they were hitting anyways.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    the ball beat him by atleast 4 feet.

how do you KNOW lugo is out at home??? look at his fukkin expressions during the whole thing. its plane as fukkin day

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by spankie View Post

you know what you are probably right.... thing is if everyone keeps their mouth shut they will never get caught.

Anyone who has ever played baseball can tell you how much a home plate umpire can impact a game. If a pitcher is not getting the corners... not getting that 3rd strike on a hitter like Puhols when they really need it and then next pitch bombs away.....

An umpire can make a big difference if he squeezes a pitcher or helps a pitcher with borderline pitches. Also ofcourse plays at the plate.

I don't care if the umpire thinks he oleyed him or not ... you call the runner out on that play. It's the right calll the play was 3 feet in front of home plate. Its like the phantom double play touching the base or clearly taging the runner is not the most important thing. I mean ofcourse if the catcher CLEARLY did not tag the runner then you call him safe but when it's that close you call him out when the play happens 3 feet infront of the plate

my guess is somebody in vegas had over a million on Braves and made a call to the umpire

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

you can't judge by player expressions. lugo has that depressed suicidal expression 24/7/365. plus he said he never felt the tag.

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its simple. Ump wanted to go home. Who knows how long this game would of went on for.

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    you can't judge by player expressions. lugo has that depressed suicidal expression 24/7/365. plus he said he never felt the tag.
    guy acted like he lost his best friend then like he just won the lottery and you don't think you can tell by body language?

also this call is worse than the galarraga call. it was 1 step there. it was 4 or 5 feet here. sure, the magnitude of it was higher in the detroit game, but as far as a specific call its clearly this one.

you want to argue semantics about it not being that 'hard' of a tag? well then lets go look at every fukkin double play that gets turned by the ss or 2b and see how many arent actually touching the bag when the ball is in their hand.

EBDOG
    EBDOG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1036

The worst part about it is that the ump calls him safe before he even touches the base that is just unacceptable he should be unemployed after that garbage

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

Nobody heres arguing that he was safe. Just saying that even in slow motion its hard to see exactly where the catcher applied the tag, but i think i know where it was. And thats in slow-mo with an HD TV. I dont see how anyone couldever think this was that horrid of a call.

The ump wasnt looking to see what lugos facial expressions were, he was looking to see if the catcher held on to the ball. Could you imagine if after every bang-bang play the ump turned to the runner to judge a facial expression?

And yes, spankie is right, MLBis rigged. Tonight the call came in for a game to go 19 innings and then have a play at the plate decide the game. Mustve been billions on this pirates game.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

First of all, everyone who is saying he called him safe before he touched home doesn't have a clue. Did you guys even watch the video? He called him safe after he stepped on home plate.

Secondly, the umpire isnt watching Lugo's body language, that's not his job and would in fact be ridiculous. He's watching the ball and the glove, thats it, and in those videos and pictures it is not conclusive anywhere that he made the tag, he may very well have but it is soooo close that its a tough tough call at that point.

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    First of all, everyone who is saying he called him safe before he touched home doesn't have a clue. Did you guys even watch the video? He called him safe after he stepped on home plate.

Secondly, the umpire isnt watching Lugo's body language, that's not his job and would in fact be ridiculous. He's watching the ball and the glove, thats it, and in those videos and pictures it is not conclusive anywhere that he made the tag, he may very well have but it is soooo close that its a tough tough call at that point.
    You blind son?

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Quote Originally Posted by rich boy View Post
    regardless, the catcher could have made this a no doubter. He was blocking the plate the whole way, all he has to do is put his glove in lugo's gut and he wont even make it to home plate.

the catcher didn't need to make it a no doubter because it already was a no doubter you dumb ****

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Dr.Stale, I expect a lot better coming from you.

RudyRuetigger

the ump clearly cant judge body language of "did he tag him" "was he safe" while the play is on the field. but when people review the video and watch lugo's expression, you can clearly see he knew he was out. it baffles me people still try to argue he was safe even after the fukkin runner knows hes out clear as day.
    The ump wasnt looking to see what lugos facial expressions were, he was looking to see if the catcher held on to the ball. Could you imagine if after every bang-bang play the ump turned to the runner to judge a facial expression?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post

Secondly, the umpire isnt watching Lugo's body language, that's not his job and would in fact be ridiculous.
    As far as I know I am the only 1 that brought up Lugo's body language. I'm just wondering if you guys actually read what I said?

Hilarious your rebuttal is that when I said its clear he can't look at body language.

My whole point of the body language was for the idiots still calling him safe after the fact while watching replay.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

Nice rebuttals guys. Thanks for reassuring me that i'm right on this one.

Edit: rudy youre obviously not included in the group i was referring to.
    Last edited by Cap dat 4ss; 07-27-11 at 11:01 AM.

RudyRuetigger

he did drag his foot across the plate on the initial play

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well im not gonna replying to everyone specifically, but suffice to say there have been many worse calls than this one. It looks like he may have been out, but it certainly isn't conclusive. It's a brief graze on the leg, and if youre the catcher in that situation its just common sense to make a solid tag in that situation as he clearly could have.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

Can you imagine how tired that guy behind home was? Not making an excuse, just thinking about it exhausts me.

And i misread your post rr.

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can you imagine how tired that guy behind home was? Not making an excuse, just thinking about it exhausts me.

And i misread your post rr.
    haha you could be half asleep and still know that a guy is out by 5 feet.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

guy acted like he lost his best friend then like he just won the lottery and you don't think you can tell by body language?

also this call is worse than the galarraga call. it was 1 step there. it was 4 or 5 feet here. sure, the magnitude of it was higher in the detroit game, but as far as a specific call its clearly this one.

you want to argue semantics about it not being that 'hard' of a tag? well then lets go look at every fukkin double play that gets turned by the ss or 2b and see how many arent actually touching the bag when the ball is in their hand.
    you can't go by facial expressions and body language. then every close call at 1b should goto the runner since they always throw their arms in the air making the safe sign.

youre right about fielders getting the benefit of the doubt at second base especially even when they don't tag or step on the bag but thats the way it's always been.but in the post couple of seasons theyve been calling them safe. many a commentators have mentioned this. but it's never been this liberal when it comes to home plate.

even had there been replay, it would not have been overturned because all it takes is one angle showing no tag and the center field camera certainly does that.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by spankie View Post
    Aluminum foil hat time!

Do you think they would have waited 19 innings to "rig" the game???

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    Aluminum foil hat time!

Do you think they would have waited 19 innings to "rig" the game???
    Yeah like that 20-6 game Texas won a few days back was rigged. No doubt in my mind.

First 1234 Last