Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

The question is if you are "book" smart or "street" smart. There were so many people that I graduated both college and obtained my advanced (professional) degree with that were smart in class, but dumb as dirt when it came to the real world. They could analyze a comprehensive problem with ease, but could not follow directions to get to the nearest bar or restaurant.

In sports investing, there is no doubt that the ability to comprehend and process the math involved is crucial. However, I would also say that a great LSAT score or whatever would not necessarily result in a great sports investor because there is more than "book" smarts that go into it.

While basic analytical skills are obviously necessary to be successful in this sports investing business, those skills do not necessarily have to be the result of a higher education. Therefore, the correlation between an ivy league eduction and successful sports investor is spurious at best.

God1
    God1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Love The Action View Post
    The question is if you are "book" smart or "street" smart. There were so many people that I graduated both college and obtained my advanced (professional) degree with that were smart in class, but dumb as dirt when it came to the real world. They could analyze a comprehensive problem with ease, but could not follow directions to get to the nearest bar or restaurant.

In sports investing, there is no doubt that the ability to comprehend and process the math involved is crucial. However, I would also say that a great LSAT score or whatever would not necessarily result in a great sports investor because there is more than "book" smarts that go into it.

While basic analytical skills are obviously necessary to be successful in this sports investing business, those skills do not necessarily have to be the result of a higher education. Therefore, the correlation between an ivy league eduction and successful sports investor is spurious at best.
    Spot on.....

The correlation between ivy league and successful sports investor I would argue is extremely high because with a few exceptions the only people winning long term are those with a heavy quant-based model that is beyond the grasp of most people. In that a decent chunk of successful sports investors will have ivy league backgrounds not that most ivy leaguers are capable of beating the books

When I started ranting about this board not being ivy league, it was just a reflection of how stupid and ignorant most of the people on this board are. Of course 99% of the posters on this board and in life are not successful sports betting, as are probably 99% of ivy leaguers. My frustration is just how ignorant and irrational the discussion is, it has nothing to do with people's ability to be profitable betting sports

edit: early lead boys
    Last edited by God1; 08-25-11 at 09:30 PM.

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quote Originally Posted by God1 View Post

Spot on.....

The correlation between ivy league and successful sports investor I would argue is extremely high because with a few exceptions the only people winning long terms are those with a heavy quant-based model that is beyond the grasp of most people. In that a decent chunk of successful sports investors will have ivy league backgrounds not that most ivy leaguers are capable of beating the books

When I started ranting about this board being ivy league, it was just a reflection of how stupid and ignorant most of the people on this board are. Of course 99% of the posters on this board and in life are not successful sports betting, as are probably 99% of ivy leaguers. My frustration is just how ignorant and irrational the discussion is

You must get this quite often but you are sharper than most people that post around here, I enjoy reading your posts because you know what you are talking about but I just dont understand why you come across as being so rude all the time?

Nice lead for the Astros to start the game, what did you see in them?

italianbandit
    italianbandit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2767

Emotional discipline is often an over-looked component of a successful sports investor.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Spot on.....

The correlation between ivy league and successful sports investor I would argue is extremely high because with a few exceptions the only people winning long term are those with a heavy quant-based model that is beyond the grasp of most people. In that a decent chunk of successful sports investors will have ivy league backgrounds not that most ivy leaguers are capable of beating the books

When I started ranting about this board not being ivy league, it was just a reflection of how stupid and ignorant most of the people on this board are. Of course 99% of the posters on this board and in life are not successful sports betting, as are probably 99% of ivy leaguers. My frustration is just how ignorant and irrational the discussion is, it has nothing to do with people's ability to be profitable betting sports

You need to create one more username:

"Sweeping Generalization"

Question: you constantly refer to nearly everyone here as "stupid" and "ignorant" -- why? Why do you care? Why can't you just ignore the people who bother you and concentrate on conversing with those who you deem worthy of you omnipotent presence?

God1

Quote Originally Posted by hawley View Post
    You must get this quite often but you are sharper than most people that post around here, I enjoy reading your posts because you know what you are talking about but I just dont understand why you come across as being so rude all the time?
    I just don't care how I come off thats all

Nice lead for the Astros to start the game, what did you see in them?
    Nothing, they are the worst team in baseball, the giants were just massively overpriced. Vogelsong is alot worse than he is being priced

God1

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    You need to create one more username:

"Sweeping Generalization"

Question: you constantly refer to nearly everyone here as "stupid" and "ignorant" -- why?
    It's rare that you could find a place where that's true, but a sports betting forum where posters follow the guy on the latest 10 game streak, you'd be surprised if the vast majority weren't "stupid" and "ignorant".

Why do you care?
    I don't

Why can't you just ignore the people who bother you and concentrate on conversing with those who you deem worthy of you omnipotent presence?
    Navigating minefields are tough? If I'm reading a thread and see something ridiculous posted I'll respond

Love The Action

Quote Originally Posted by italianbandit View Post
    Emotional discipline is often an over-looked component of a successful sports investor.
    Emotional discipline is sooo important. Without it, you are sunk. That's what separates the Brock Landers (not to insult anyone) "rubber band" play chasers from those that know when to shut it down, accept a losing day and move onto the next day's card.

Right now I am personally going through a difficult slump. But rather than go "all in" and throw out a stupid 10x dart play, I know that trusting my model and capping process will eventually get back my losses and then some. The time to be aggressive is when you are seeing the board well and are on a "hot" streak and the time to play conservative is when you are cold. Unfortunately, most people don't have the requisite discipline for this business and approach sports investing with the "all in" when they are struggling.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Put a little on the StL/PIT under 11.5 about 4 innings ago.

I feel like I'm being haunted by both bad picks and bad beats -- like they're stalking me the last three days.

Love The Action

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Put a little on the StL/PIT under 11.5 about 4 innings ago.

I feel like I'm being haunted by both bad picks and bad beats -- like they're stalking me the last three days.

I had 2x on the game under

God1

results oriented, lets hear it

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Nice hit with Houston God.

After I found out I missed on my Arizona bet, I was so pissed off I left my Houston bet on the table.

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

results oriented, lets hear it

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

You used to always get better 'dog prices at Bodog than Pinnacle.

That hasn't been the case with hardly any games the past few days.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

2-6, -0.7 today
    108-105, -4.1U 2H

I need to stop the bleeding.

Friday leans:

BAL +143
    WAS +132
    PIT +149
    COL +124
    SEA +124
    TOR +122

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

SEA and the NATS are on my radar too!...

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Friday's plays:

MIN +118 (2U)
    NYM +122 (2U)
    SEA +118 (2U)
    TOR +128 (1U)
    BAL +161 (1U)
    KC +149 (1U)
    WAS +133 (1U)

fitguy67
    blessed be the cheesemakers
    fitguy67's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3358

NC, someone who agonizes as carefully as you do over your selections will be rewarded over the long haul...baseball is a game of inches...and waves of "unit inflows" (when many well-priced longshots find a way to win) and "unit outflows" (like the recent rough patch characterized by improbable bad beats)...

I hitch my wagon carefully, and for the long haul...just keep on doin' what u've been doin' all along...cream rises, quality prevails...

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by fitguy67 View Post
    NC, someone who agonizes as much as you do over your selections will be rewarded over the long haul...baseball is a game of inches and waves of "unit inflows" (when many well-priced longshots find a way to win) and "unit outflows" (like the recent rough patch characterized by improbable bad beats)...

I hitch my wagon carefully, and for the long haul...just keep on doin' what u've been doin' all along...cream rises, quality prevails...
    Thanks.

Honestly, if football were in full swing, I'd have just given up on baseball by now. I'm beating the closer constantly and still losing. I've lost a horde of 1-run and extra-inning games in the past two weeks. Just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Ironically I've almost doubled my BR this past week. Idk how or why but I've hit a lucky streak. I'm gonna go light until FB starts so I don't blow my wad. Keep ya head up NC. Since returning from your hiatus you're no where near as annoying as I once found you to be! (meant as a compliment btw). BOL to ya buddy! FB is right around the corner

fitguy67

this season seems to have got lotsa solid cappers saying "MLB...WTF"...The Diesel and Bob Loblaw to name two of my faves...no heavy losses...just the frustration of having solid analysis wasted on a game that's the closest thing there is to a crapshoot in pro sports...in Football (both the "real" and the American versions), Hockey, Basketball and Tennis...the real-world play doesn't deviate near as much from its statistical mean, rewarding the capper more consistently for finding "edges".

Baccarat won't fuk with ur head and bankroll as painfully as Baseball.

Ingram$
    Ingram$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

It's good to see ya back

fitguy67

Hope NC comes bak...not necessarily to MLB, but to the wonderful world of sports-investing in general...he's one o' the good guys around here...

fitguy67

NC and regulars, please "come back"...nice to have intelligent stuff to read

First ... 16171819