WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Anyone see what happened to Stephen Drew?

I guess he left the game, and the announcers are making it seem like he died. They're all bummed.

What happened? I tuned in after.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

well i was just looking at gamecast but he got thrown out at home on a double when he was on 2nd so must of been a bad leg injury

WvGambler

They were comparing it to buster posey...not the injury itself, but the impact on the team. Made it seem like they expected him to be gone a while.

13th Inning
    13th Inning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2282

Didn't see it but based on the conversation at ESPN, it sounds like he dislocated his ankle. That's always a pretty gross-looking injury.

WvGambler

Damn.

Arsenal
    Arsenal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Apparently he fractured his ankle.

Here is the video. I just grabbed it from a replay off mlb.tv and uploaded to youtube.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Extra Innings

POTVINSUX
    POTVINSUX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 602

Feel bad for the dude, looked painful as fuk

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

YEAH, it wasn't pretty that shit was facing the wrong way!

Mr. Peepers
    Mr. Peepers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Here we go brewers, here we go!!!

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

That last shot of it is nasty!

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

baseball players and injuries, not saying Drew's wasn't bad but when you have all these skirts going on the shelf non stop, its kind of hard to take any of them serious.... boy that cried wolf to a T when it comes to this... fk I wouldn't be surprised if there are more reported MLB injuries than in NFL or NHL, which clearly shouldn't be the case but baseball players are soft

70kgman
    70kgman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1895

Quote Originally Posted by iceminers26 View Post
    baseball players and injuries, not saying Drew's wasn't bad but when you have all these skirts going on the shelf non stop, its kind of hard to take any of them serious.... boy that cried wolf to a T when it comes to this... fk I wouldn't be surprised if there are more reported MLB injuries than in NFL or NHL, which clearly shouldn't be the case but baseball players are soft
    It is amazing. Any time you see a collision in MLB, you know it is guaranteed DL time for someone. If these soft baseball players had to play a game of hockey, the entire team would be on the DL by the 2nd period.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

baseball players are not wearing pads, or helmets. when you get hit in the NFL on a tackle, the pads create a lot of impact but they also absorb it.
    In Baseball injuries are caused by freak stuff like this, where you are going from all out and having to slide. He slide wrong and he ****** him self up.
    Running on dirt can be different from running on grass, when you have to go from 1 to 100 which baseball players have to do all the time.
    Anther terrible injury was the gomez injury where he dove for the ball and broke his collar bone.
    I am not quite understanding your comments.... They are just different type of injuries. Just because one was caused by a great tackle and one was caused by a guy going all out diving for a ball, going all out running into a wall, or sliding into home, I am not quite understanding it.
    And I would be willing to bet, the impacts at home plate where the running has to padding at all, and the catcher still doesn't have the level of padding an NFL player does hurt worse then a lot of tackles in the NFL.
    Not sure, though but good look at the Prince Fielder collision at home plate, it ended the catchers career.
    Rickie weeks also had a huge collision at home plate where he just ran over the guy.
    This macho man stuff of Rar Rar I play Hockey and Football we are more manly and raring then you. You guys should never get hurt, you are just hitting a stick to a ball is bull shit.

neverstoppers23

Quote Originally Posted by 70kgman View Post
    It is amazing. Any time you see a collision in MLB, you know it is guaranteed DL time for someone. If these soft baseball players had to play a game of hockey, the entire team would be on the DL by the 2nd period.
    If only both players were wearing this.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_equipment

iceminers26

Quote Originally Posted by neverstoppers23 View Post
    baseball players are not wearing pads, or helmets. when you get hit in the NFL on a tackle, the pads create a lot of impact but they also absorb it. In Baseball injuries are caused by freak stuff like this, where you are going from all out and having to slide. He slide wrong and he ****** him self up. Running on dirt can be different from running on grass, when you have to go from 1 to 100 which baseball players have to do all the time. Anther terrible injury was the gomez injury where he dove for the ball and broke his collar bone. I am not quite understanding your comments.... They are just different type of injuries. Just because one was caused by a great tackle and one was caused by a guy going all out diving for a ball, going all out running into a wall, or sliding into home, I am not quite understanding it. And I would be willing to bet, the impacts at home plate where the running has to padding at all, and the catcher still doesn't have the level of padding an NFL player does hurt worse then a lot of tackles in the NFL. Not sure, though but good look at the Prince Fielder collision at home plate, it ended the catchers career. Rickie weeks also had a huge collision at home plate where he just ran over the guy. This macho man stuff of Rar Rar I play Hockey and Football we are more manly and raring then you. You guys should never get hurt, you are just hitting a stick to a ball is bull shit.

I don't even know where to start so just going to pass

neverstoppers23

neverstoppers23

Go ahead...... You obviously have your opinion set on how much more 'manly' hockey and NFL players are even though they wear 10 times amount of the padding. And you wonder why players end up on the DL when their are collisions at home plate?
    You got a guy coming at you who weights 300 plus pounds in the case of fielder, coming full speed trying to take you out.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57693

That was nothing. Later in the same game, Carlos Gomez fractured his clavicle making a tumbling catch in center - Much more impressive video than Drew's injury.

iceminers26

Its not my opinion, its my experience that forms my views on this particular topic. Having played high school and legion ball, high school foots, and pro hockey, I have come to the conclusion that baseball players are softer than the other two. The amount of players on the DL in MLB on a yearly basis is just flat out ridiculous, no way should there be that many injuries in a non contact sport. Obviously you are a baseball fan and I not so there is no need to get into a debate about it because neither will change their minds.

neverstoppers23

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    That was nothing. Later in the same game, Carlos Gomez fractured his clavicle making a tumbling catch in center - Much more impressive video than Drew's injury.
    yes, sir, that is one of the most painful injuries you can get. But when you are going at the speed gomez was diving for a ball, with no padding on. .... injuries happen.

But since it[his injury] wasn't caused on a super duper cool collision hes not a man, he is a pussy obviously.

neverstoppers23

Its not my opinion, its my experience that forms my views on this particular topic. Having played high school and legion ball, high school foots, and pro hockey, I have come to the conclusion that baseball players are softer than the other two. The amount of players on the DL in MLB on a yearly basis is just flat out ridiculous, no way should there be that many injuries in a non contact sport. Obviously you are a baseball fan and I not so there is no need to get into a debate about it because neither will change their minds.
    Baseball is a different type of sport then most. Where a broke finger for a pitcher could ruin his season, in football you could care less. Even a ****** up nail could **** a pitchers delivery or finger pressure on the ball effecting his pitches.
    When you look at the NFL, the Oline can basically play no problem with broken hands, broken fingers, broken wrists, arms, noses, it doesn't matter. It doesn't effect their skills.
    It really isn't too hard to figure out why so many players end up on the DL.
    Everything for a pitcher needs to be perfect, believe it or not it is a lot harder then it looks.

When you look at players on the offensive side who end up on the DL, it usually is not the 1st basemen, he doesn't have to cover a lot of ground. But when you got a nagging hamstring injury and you are playing the out field, its going to dramatically effect your game. You also have to factor in every time you move for that foul ball, every time you move on the defensive shifts, every time you move covering balls. You are just not standing in place just because the ball is not near you. When you are on the bases you are going to have to around hard when their is two strikes, and sometimes the batter could foul off what 5-10 balls. You are not jogging, you are going all out. Because if you are not your team may not score that winning run.

You have to be perfect on each play.

For an WR, you can try to go out there, and play, if you are aint 100 percent its cool. It doesn't matter there are 4 other receivers on the field at the time. Then if all else fails just take them out.

Baseball is an every day event, esp. in the NL. Where if you are going to be out for even a week, a team has to make a choice on weather to put you on the D.L because they need all the bench spots they can. Or if its a bullpen arm you need all the arms in it. A MLB roster you use EVERYBODY, throughout the season. Again more in the NL. IN football again, you don't. So there is no need to worry about injuries as much.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Call ballplayers soft if you want to, but id like to see anyone on this forum get up and walk away after your foot bends the opposite way its supposed to. That was bad.

iceminers26

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    Call ballplayers soft if you want to, but id like to see anyone on this forum get up and walk away after your foot bends the opposite way its supposed to. That was bad.

When I was 22, I broke my ankle first shift of a game, had it tapped up and played the rest of the game... it was the Saturday game so we were off until following Friday, sat out practice all week until pregame skate, played that weekend and didn't miss a game.

20 broke my wrist, again had it tapped, didn't miss a game.

Stitches several times in the face, again no time missed.

Stains, pulls, tightness, etc. no time missed.

Yes its sucks playing injuried, but its something that must be done for not only your team, but to keep your job.

neverstoppers23

When I was 22, I broke my ankle first shift of a game, had it tapped up and played the rest of the game... it was the Saturday game so we were off until following Friday, sat out practice all week until pregame skate, played that weekend and didn't miss a game.

20 broke my wrist, again had it tapped, didn't miss a game.

Stitches several times in the face, again no time missed.

Stains, pulls, tightness, etc. no time missed.

Yes its sucks playing injuried, but its something that must be done for not only your team, but to keep your job.
    That's because your injuries do not effect your skills as much as an injury will effect a baseball players.
    I am still not getting your point, on how baseball players are 'soft'. Because the injuries, are not gruesome? cause there is not caused by a collision?
    What is it?

kidkonggolf
    Update your status
    kidkonggolf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2559

Just saw the slide into home and that ankle was bad! The Gomez injury was pretty bad too.

iceminers26

Quote Originally Posted by neverstoppers23 View Post
    That's because your injuries do not effect your skills as much as an injury will effect a baseball players. I am still not getting your point, on how baseball players are 'soft'. Because the injuries, are not gruesome? cause there is not caused by a collision? What is it?
    1. How the heck are my injuries not going to effect my skills as much as you put it? I'm I going to be able to shoot, stickhandle, pass, etc. the same with a broken wrist as without one. And broken ankle, this won't have any effect on my skating ability?

2. Baseball players are soft because the majority do not play injured, has nothing to do with collisions or how it happens (which in baseball its pretty sad the way some guys go down, like they were shot or something when in reality, nothing severe happened).

Here is an idea, hockey players train harder in the offseason than baseball players, their bodies are in better physical condition and can withstand more pain, it helps them heal faster and stay in the lineup. Last time I checked there are not 30lb overweight guys playing hockey.

GemSportsPicks
    GemSportsPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I will say as a whole baseball players are a little bit softer then other sports, alot of that has to do with them not being true althetes, and rather being extremely skilled... Don't get me wrong baseball has some terrific althetes but again im speaking as a whole... That being said, this Drew injuries is the real deal and trust me it hurts... I used to play Basketball at pretty elite level... Was playing in pickup game when I was around 19, now just to put it in perspective, I'm 5'10 white and was dunking with no problem... Came down on someone foot rolled ankle complete over like drew then big man fell on top of it... It was dislocated, grade 3 sprain... Not only was it literally ****** up for 6 months, now I'm talking I hopped around on 1 foot for 3 months and limped for a while after... It is now 9 years later and it still is nowhere near healed... An injury like this messes your ankle up for life, granted I'm sure Stephen Drew will have better medical then I did, but it doesn't matter, when those ligaments in your ankle stretch more then there supposed too... and you hear a loud popping sound, that is the ligament and tendon fibers popping.... Thats it your never the same again.