RaRhythm24
    RaRhythm24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

$699 for a signed DJ 3000 ball?

Are u kidding me? That poor guy that caught the ball wishes now he sold it to the highest bidder!
    What a moron, the Yanks are making a killing on Jeters 3000 hit and all he has to show for it is some box seats, ohh WOW! Any Thoughts SBR?

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11236

poor kid

wiseguy14
    wiseguy14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I instantly would of kept it and sold it. Box seats and a few autographs wouldnt have been enough for me to give it up.

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Guy couldn't win.

If he kept it and sold it, everyone would be ripping him saying how greedy he is, not a true fan, trying to cash in, etc etc

Instead he gives it back, asks for nothing, now everyone says WTF was he thinking shoulda cashed in.
    Points Awarded:

MoreVodkaPlease gave pattymayo 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by pattymayo View Post
    Guy couldn't win.

If he kept it and sold it, everyone would be ripping him saying how greedy he is, not a true fan, trying to cash in, etc etc

Instead he gives it back, asks for nothing, now everyone says WTF was he thinking shoulda cashed in.
    Sharp post.

The caveat is to keep the ball and sell it and donate an undisclosed portion to a trendy charity like autism. You cash in and look like a good guy. On top of that you can milk interviews and whatnot to try to see if NYY will give you anything for being such a stand up guy. If not, just talk about how "disappointed" you are in the organization.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Can somebody explain the thread title? I have not been following this. $699???

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

I've spoken about this topic until I've lost the ability to type. My avatar says it all

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    real answer below...
    Last edited by Glitch; 07-16-11 at 08:24 PM.

RaRhythm24

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Steiner Sports are selling DJ 3000 Autographed balls for $699, not the actual ball he made the hit with, but replicas. Sorry for the confusion!

mike-dub
    mike-dub's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 530

i heard somewhere that David Price is cashing in on being the pitcher who pitched the 3000th hit too. looks like everyone involved is making money off of it except for one person hahaha

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

OP some ppl are more about substance than money. This guy looks to be that person. Guy has more chance of good karma befalling him later in life...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Does Jeter ever give up with Greed and Money??

davidchong
    davidchong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 697

keep that ball for one year

Stacocakes
    Stacocakes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 538

http://www.steinersports.com/christi...-baseball.html

can buy a signed ball from the guy that caught it for $35 bucks haha

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

NEW YORK (PIX11)—
    Christian Lopez, better known as the guy who caught Derek Jeter's 3000th career hit on Saturday, will have less to worry about if the tax man comes calling.

Modell's Sporting Goods and Steiner Sports have each donated $25,000 to Lopez, 23, who recently found out he could be on the hook for thousands of dollars in tax bills for the Yankee tickets and Jeter memorabilia he received after giving the Yankees captain the historic ball.

"We thought it was so critically important that someone needs to think about Christian so today we are officially announcing that this is Christian Lopez week at Modell's Sporting Goods and at Steiner Sports," said Mitchell Modell, owner of Modell's Sporting Goods.

Lopez, a cell phone salesman from Highland Mills, NY, was surprised when he discovered the Internal Revenue Service might try to collect an estimated $14,000 from him. The government could decide the goodies Lopez received are income that would be taxed according to the fair market value of the items. He says he has not been contacted by the IRS or the State of New York regarding any liability.

Instead, dozens of other companies and people continue to call on Lopez, who has hired a PR representative. Modell called the lifelong Yankee fan a "class act" for only wanting a signed ball from Jeter and nothing else in return for his gesture. Modell gave Lopez a lifetime 20% discount at all Modell's Sporting Goods locations. For the next week, 5% of proceeds from Yankee merchandise sold at the stores will also be given to Lopez.

In addition, Steiner Sports is holding an online auction with items like a dugout visit and second row seats to a Yankees game and a baseball clinic with the Yankee shortstop himself. Special DJ3K baseballs signed by Lopez himself and Jeter will also be auctioned off.

Profits from the auction will also go to Lopez to cover any future costs and existing ones, including a $150,000 college loan.

Overwhelmed by the support, Lopez became most emotional during a press conference in Times Square when Modell gave him his 2009 World Series ring. Modell received the ring because he is an official sponsor of the Yankees.

"I'm absolutely speechless right now. My hand is shaking actually," Lopez said after kissing the ring.

"Something great happened and obviously a great kid, a great guy did something just great and that's what it's all about," Brandon Steiner, chief executive officer of Steiner Sports Marketing Inc. said.

Lopez tells PIX11 he has no regrets for anything he did following the catch of Jeter's home run and 3000th hit. He insists if not him, someone will use the four Champion Suite season tickets he received from the team.

"There is going to be a Lopez somewhere in the seats up there," he added.

Lopez has also been offered money from Miller High Life and will get his own baseball card from the Topps Company. He is not expected to have to pay taxes on the donations because there is reportedly a $5 million exemption on taxable gifts.
    http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-jeter-...0,714079.story

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

guys' getting his own baseball card.

RaRhythm24

Amazing, how the universe is looking out for him?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Quote Originally Posted by RaRhythm24 View Post
    Are u kidding me? That poor guy that caught the ball wishes now he sold it to the highest bidder!
    What a moron, the Yanks are making a killing on Jeters 3000 hit and all he has to show for it is some box seats, ohh WOW! Any Thoughts SBR?
    Thoughts?
    Yes, you are an idiot.

Corporations are lining up to pay the kids college loans, kid is getting goodies thrown his way left and right, he's got the suite for the season so far, all taxes are covered.

He works for Verizon, every interview he gives is "I love Verizon, they are good to me, good company, yadda, yadda, yadda"

You don't think that conglomerate doesn't appreciate him, the nice publicity, you don't think Verizon isn't taking care of the kid?

God, the kid is a cash cow to Verizon.

Modell's is giving the kid 5 percent of all Yankee merchandise sold in a week, people are tripping over themselves to give to this kid...................

Those of you who don't know, Modell's is the first sporting goods/clothes chain in this country, with over 130 outlets in the nation in 10 states, with revenue over 600,000K a year, you know how much Yankee, Jets, Giants, Mets merchandise they move.
    Tons.

Yeah, the kid is an idiot, idiot like a fox.

He's got TV and radio interviews set up for the next 2 weeks.

You guys that claim "I would have held the ball for ransom, bled Jeter and the NYY, maybe, maybe would have gotten 175K max, and then would have been tossed aside like last yesterday's newspaper that you used to line the parrot cage with.

This kid, when all said and done, based off of his gesture, is going to make out so much better when the dust settles.

Duby
    Duby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4602

Once everything is done he will have all his loans paid off.

NBA_Brosuf
    Fade me to Become A Pro LOL
    NBA_Brosuf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

The ball has a price tag because it is a homerun ball.

Had it was a grounded ball for a hit, I wonder what would happen. Would the defensive player(s) cash in on this opportunity or give that ball back? I don't think players are allow to keep them ball unless given to the by the league right? Like game winning ball, they get to keep but only if earned. I play baseball so I can steal all them fly out balls.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Duby View Post
    Once everything is done he will have all his loans paid off.
    His loans are already paid off, like last week.

The OP starts a thread and says "and all he has to show for it is some box seats"

OP hasn't been reading the newspaper, or listening to sports shows, or following the story, or just likes making ignorant posts.

RaRhythm24

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Thoughts? Yes, you are an idiot. Corporations are lining up to pay the kids college loans, kid is getting goodies thrown his way left and right, he's got the suite for the season so far, all taxes are covered. He works for Verizon, every interview he gives is "I love Verizon, they are good to me, good company, yadda, yadda, yadda" You don't think that conglomerate doesn't appreciate him, the nice publicity, you don't think Verizon isn't taking care of the kid? God, the kid is a cash cow to Verizon. Modell's is giving the kid 5 percent of all Yankee merchandise sold in a week, people are tripping over themselves to give to this kid................... Those of you who don't know, Modell's is the first sporting goods/clothes chain in this country, with over 130 outlets in the nation in 10 states, with revenue over 600,000K a year, you know how much Yankee, Jets, Giants, Mets merchandise they move. Tons. Yeah, the kid is an idiot, idiot like a fox. He's got TV and radio interviews set up for the next 2 weeks. You guys that claim "I would have held the ball for ransom, bled Jeter and the NYY, maybe, maybe would have gotten 175K max, and then would have been tossed aside like last yesterday's newspaper that you used to line the parrot cage with. This kid, when all said and done, based off of his gesture, is going to make out so much better when the dust settles.
    Hey Buddy, Why are you so mad at life, are things not going good for you that you have to make stupid comments. Grow up!!!

mp5070
    The Michael Scott Company
    mp5070's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7789

He should have sold it to the Yankees for at least $500,000....Yankees would have bought it.....Thats America, GET RICH OR DIE TRYING.... Its not about being greedy at all......Its all about making $$$

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

He's an idiot for giving it back but he got like $4k in memorabilia items from the Yanks

hornsrgrt
    hornsrgrt's Avatar Become A Pro!

He did the right thing and is collecting more than what he would have sold the ball plus he looks like a good guy. What more is there to say?

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10464

if you need one to play with your kids, its worth $1.99 thats all and thats a little high to me

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by RaRhythm24 View Post
    Hey Buddy, Why are you so mad at life, are things not going good for you that you have to make stupid comments. Grow up!!!
    I'm happy as a pig in shit.
    I brought home my weekly 827 dollar paycheck Friday, made 3 hundy yesterday betting the bases, and I got some from my wife Saturday.

Why do you start ignorant threads is my question.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I'm happy as a pig in shit.
    I brought home my weekly 827 dollar paycheck Friday, made 3 hundy yesterday betting the bases, and I got some from my wife Saturday.

Why do you start ignorant threads is my question.
    I guess what you're failing to realize is he gave up something that is considered "wealth" for nothing. That's idiotic beyond belief.

HauntingTheHoly
    HauntingTheHoly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 483

Quote Originally Posted by Powderguy View Post
    He's an idiot for giving it back but he got like $4k in memorabilia items from the Yanks
    Which means he LOST (price of the ball) - 4k. I hope he mentally recovers from his mistake and isn't haunted the rest of his life. Poor kid.

Delbert14
    Delbert14's Avatar Become A Pro!

stevenash 175,000, i think your way off there buddy. there was only oneother 3,000 hit for a home-run, and so many wealthy yankee fans that ball would of gotten at least a million, at least!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 175k what are you retarded.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    I guess what you're failing to realize is he gave up something that is considered "wealth" for nothing. That's idiotic beyond belief.
    For nothing?

He got his tuition paid for, he got the suite for the rest of the year, taxes paid, he's making 5 percent from Model's sales..........

You're just as an idiot as the OP

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert14 View Post
    stevenash 175,000, i think your way off there buddy. there was only oneother 3,000 hit for a home-run, and so many wealthy yankee fans that ball would of gotten at least a million, at least!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 175k what are you retarded.
    auction experts say 1/4 million is a big stretch, if the ball went up at Sotheby's they say between 160 and 200K

mart59a
    mart59a's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13553

All in all the guy had a good day at the ballpark...would you not agree?

stevenash

Been following the story here, he made out very well with all the corporations tripping over themselves giving all sorts of stuff to that kid.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

What confuses me is that now won't he have to pay taxes on the donations for his taxes?

12 Last