ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

Brewers get K-Rod

Rodriguez and cash to Milwaukee for two players to be named.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...waukee-brewers
    Points Awarded:

CanuckG gave ZetaPsi808 4 SBR Point(s) for this post.

CanuckG gave ZetaPsi808 8 SBR Point(s) for this post.

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

good trade, but i dont think the brewers will use him much since he has a clause that pays him 17.5mil if he pitches in 55 games

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why?

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

Quote Originally Posted by moses millsap View Post
    good trade, but i dont think the brewers will use him much since he has a clause that pays him 17.5mil if he pitches in 55 games
    i agree. except the clause is a little different.

Rodriguez has a contract clause that guarantees him $17.5 million in 2012 if he finishes 55 games this year. K-Rod is currently on a pace to finish more than 60, though he may not get ample chances to do that with the Brewers.

he has closer stuff but i think he will be the 8th inning guy

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Less pressure in mil than in nyc. Good move. Guy can be a good help in spots.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

I am so pumped right now, Axford in the 9th K-rod in the 8th, and Saito in the7th. Saito had to miss basically all of the first half with an injury just came back, so basically its like we are getting two top tier bullepn guys. Then closing it out with the most underrated closer in the game.
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOT
    Look for the brewers to have a huge second half, once Gallardo And Greinke get going. Can see a large winning streak coming from them.

neverstoppers23

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Less pressure in mil than in nyc. Good move. Guy can be a good help in spots.
    Mets have been pretty bad the last few years I don't think he was under that much pressure.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57541

Hawkins and Saito pitch the 7th, KRod the 8th, and Ax the 9th. No more of this Loe and Estrada highwire act. These two have cost us a healthy division lead at the break. Get the playoff ticket printer ready boys, here we come!

neverstoppers23

estarda was good for a time period, great I should say. He looked really good, he will still be a nice piece in the bullpen as a long relieve guy and an emergency starter, if a guy goes down early. You would think Loe has to be optioned, who else would we send down?Maybe we just send down Mark Kottaras?

RibbedTrojan
    RibbedTrojan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Will definately be a better team!

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Mets could not afford to let the option clause happen. Also he just signed Scott Boras as his agent. K-Rod is not the pitcher he was, fastball down about 5 miles per hour. That said, good pickup for Brewers as a 8th inning option.

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Making a run

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's a good move on the part of the Brewers

Sportsbetting123
    Sportsbetting123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

You could see this coming...no way the Mets could let him finish 55 games and be liable for that payout.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Quote Originally Posted by gafl View Post
    K-Rod is not the pitcher he was, fastball down about 5 miles per hour.
    Inside word out of NYC was 'roids. That's the reason why heater was off, and the reason why he went off on his father in law.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Inside word out of NYC was 'roids. That's the reason why heater was off, and the reason why he went off on his father in law.
    well thats because in baseball when ever anything happens people blame steroids ...his fastball velocity down, but like just about every pitcher is has been slowly declining since he was about 24

i kinda get the trade, but it still doesn't fix the fact that the Brewers are going to lose the divsion because they have the worst starting SS and 3B in baseball/

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    i kinda get the trade, but it still doesn't fix the fact that the Brewers are going to lose the divsion because they have the worst starting SS and 3B in baseball/
    Ooof, McGhee and Betancourt having f'ugly seasons, both can't hit and both can't get on base, BUT Brews are still 9th ranked out of 30 in offense in the majors, as a matter of fact, Brews are in the upper 50 percent in all the core offense categories

I had Phillips in Feb. rated slightly ahead of Weeks at second, he's disproving that, but the core of Weeks, Prince and Braun are more than offsetting the lack of production from the left side of the infield.

Lucroy is one of the best hitting cathers in the NL.

I agree Betancort and McGhee are having ugly seasons, but if Brews miss the playoffs, they won't be the reason why.

Pitching wins, pitching has won championships (with rare exceptions) since the beginning of time.

305GURU
    305GURU's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nice trade for the brewers, dont think they'll use him Alot but he'll have his chances and their second half will def be better with him in the bullpen!

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post

Rodriguez has a contract clause that guarantees him $17.5 million in 2012 if he finishes 55 games this year. K-Rod is currently on a pace to finish more than 60, though he may not get ample chances to do that with the Brewers.

Wonder if he he might be pissed if they do that to him, cost him a ton of dough.

donkdown
    donkdown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Hawkins and Saito pitch the 7th, KRod the 8th, and Ax the 9th. No more of this Loe and Estrada highwire act. These two have cost us a healthy division lead at the break. Get the playoff ticket printer ready boys, here we come!
    Id of went and got a starter if I was them!! Pirates got the best pitching in this division!!

zr2786
    zr2786's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

He is not as electric as he was when he was in LA

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Ooof, McGhee and Betancourt having f'ugly seasons, both can't hit and both can't get on base, BUT Brews are still 9th ranked out of 30 in offense in the majors, as a matter of fact, Brews are in the upper 50 percent in all the core offense categories

I had Phillips in Feb. rated slightly ahead of Weeks at second, he's disproving that, but the core of Weeks, Prince and Braun are more than offsetting the lack of production from the left side of the infield.

Lucroy is one of the best hitting cathers in the NL.

I agree Betancort and McGhee are having ugly seasons, but if Brews miss the playoffs, they won't be the reason why.

Pitching wins, pitching has won championships (with rare exceptions) since the beginning of time.

Im not referring to just their offensive suckitude .. Yuni has been one of the worst defensive shortstops in baseball iver the last 4 years. And Mcghee, while d-metics show him having an okay year, is a hack at 3rd base. Add in the fact they send out two terrible of'ers ( braun and hart) on a nightly basis as well as a bottom dweller defensively at first at least those 3 bring plenty of positives with the bat.

Running out two players who kill the team in the field and at the plate will shoot the pitching staff in the foot.

Dukebluejms
    Dukebluejms's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I think this is a good move by the Brewers. K-Rod isn't his old self, but he is still dominant at times. It will be good to have a veteran who can step into the closer role if Axford starts to struggle in the 2nd half. Good move as long as the Mets are paying a big chunk of his salary.

rthoughton
    rthoughton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2101

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post

but what if he does reach the innings... and i kinda think he will. Brewers "go for it" as they did with CC. They have an opportunity to win this division, and should, and should have last year... My only question is, tho, you're gonna put yourself on the hook for hotdog-rod but let Prince walk? doesnt make a whole lotta sense to me.
    itll be interesting to see what they do here.

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

The Mets sent $5m in cash, about what's left in salary. Mets just want to get out from under the option clause.

PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10667

I hope that the bold above holds true and that the Brewers and Bucs battled for the pennant.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    Im not referring to just their offensive suckitude .. Yuni has been one of the worst defensive shortstops in baseball iver the last 4 years. And Mcghee, while d-metics show him having an okay year, is a hack at 3rd base. Add in the fact they send out two terrible of'ers ( braun and hart) on a nightly basis as well as a bottom dweller defensively at first at least those 3 bring plenty of positives with the bat.

Running out two players who kill the team in the field and at the plate will shoot the pitching staff in the foot.
    Defensive position players are overvalued. Your best defender is your pitcher. Overall it starts and stops there. 8 guys behind him, he is dealing with guys that hit the ball 20-30% of the time, and 90% of out are hit directly towards position players.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

The Mets sent $5 million to the Brewers so he is free for the rest of this year. Would be equivalent to $12.5 million next year worst case even if he finishes enough games for his contract to vest. Without knowing the players involved it is tough to tell who got the better end of the deal.

clonecat

As a Brewer fan, I hope they trade for Furcal. If they pay the rest of his salary wouldn't need to give the Dodgers much more than a bag of balls.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

What kills the Brewers is shitty middle relief, and Walk-Rod is not a stopper. For the most part the ball is in play for too many of his outs.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

And my opinions are exclusively based upon empirical evidence. No stats or other backing.

Come to think of it.. Nl Central probably has the worst bullpens collectively.

clonecat

Hopefully Saito will help with the middle relief if he can stay healthy. Loe has thrown way too many innings this year.

Another good point by Ken Rosenthal. K-Rod just hired Boras as an agent. Boras won't get a commission if the option vests but would get a commission if he became a free agent. If he makes waves in Milwaukee, it will hurt his value as a free agent.

KC
    KC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Great pickup, unexpected because Boras just said he will not go to a team to setup

ji03
    ji03's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Hope that solidifies the back end of the pen for the Brewers as I would like to see them in the playoffs.

12 Last