iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Kings Corner (Mid-Season MLB Power Rankings) June 1st-AllStar Break

Not normally a big stat guy, but going to scan some box scores and see how teams have been playing up till the All Star Break. Going to give teams a quick "score" per game instead of just tracking wins and loses. Teams will score from 6-10 on all wins, and 1-5 on all loses... convincing wins over better teams/starters will obviously score higher than come from behind wins over below average teams/starters..

Going back to June 1st which should be about 35 games for each team..

This is experimental so don't put too much into it...

iifold
    Update your status

Orioles

35 Games

Score:139

Ranking: 3.97

This team is not playing good at all...Think they have lost 12 of their last 13...
    Last edited by iifold; 07-11-11 at 11:27 PM.

iifold
    Update your status

D-Backs

Games: 36

Score: 191

Ranking: 5.31

Going over their games I was surprised how dominate they are at times. Much better then my initial thought.. bullpen has some holes it appears.
    Last edited by iifold; 07-11-11 at 11:25 PM.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

. This is experimental so don't put too much into it...[/quote]

dont worry nobody takes anything you say about sports seriously
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ace_of_Spades, Jrod124, Nats' Fan, and yisman

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quote Originally Posted by nosniboR11 View Post
    . This is experimental so don't put too much into it...
    dont worry nobody takes anything you say about sports seriously[/quote]

iifold
    Update your status

Red Sox

Games: 35

Score: 219

Ranking: 6.26

Everyone knows these guys are good, but even with guys like Wakefield, Miller, and Lackey starting... they still dominate. Check it out for yourselves. They are even better than you probably think.
    Last edited by iifold; 07-11-11 at 11:20 PM.

iifold
    Update your status

Braves

Score: 206

Ranking: 5.72

They don't blow teams away like most top tier teams, but their pitching is so good (especially bullpen) they always seem to pull out the close ones.
    Last edited by iifold; 07-11-11 at 11:22 PM.

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

seriously another pointless thread cluttering up PT

iifold
    Update your status

Whitesox

Score: 176

Ranking: 5.02

Everything about the Whitesox is VERY average right now.. They have won about half their games over the last 35 against rather weak competition. They dont have a dominant starter, but all of them are proven to belong in the Big Leagues. Their bullpen seems to be turning it around so if they start hitting I could see them winning a few more games. But until I see it I'm gonna have to just trust the numbers..

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

how many of these ranking threads are you going to start and not finish

iifold
    Update your status

Cubs

Games:39

Score:167

Ranking: 4.28

Don't take this the wrong way, but the Cubs are actually trending upward. Once the laughingstock of the league, they are at least competing as of late. A.Ramirez has been hot, and M.Byrd is back to round out a respectable lineup. They still make too many errors and have some of the worst starting pitching you'll ever see. Dempster looks to be a solid starter once again and they have a couple guys in the bullpen that can get people out. If Randy Wells doesnt fix things fast he wont be around much longer. Be careful fading this team in the second half, their might be value riding these guys from time to time out the gate...

iifold
    Update your status

Indians

Games:37

Score: 161

Ranking: 4.35

After an unbelievable start, the Tribe hit a wall the last 37 games (15-22) as evident by there shockingly low ranking... Hitting seems to be the problem, as their bullpen and 3 young starters (Carrasco, Masterson, and Tomlin) continue to give them chances to win. I just don't see this team making the playoffs after being so high and dropping so fast.

iifold
    Update your status

Reds

Score: 181

Ranking: 5.02

I really expected to see a higher Ranking from these guys with their powerful offense... Cueto seems to be their only dominant starter, but they never seem to give him any support. the rest of the staff is very average, and has forced them to use their bullpen a ton. Their Pen is deep but has a couple shaky legs, They have been working A.Chapman back into the mix and he seems to be back on track. This team needs another solid starter to go with Cueto, because Leake, Baily, and Arroyo are very average at best. They have a shot at their division if they get themselves another Arm.

iifold
    Update your status

Tigers

Games: 38

Score: 196

Ranking: 5.15

When Verlander starts, this team is championship caliber, the other 4 days they are toss up... Much like the Reds, they can hit and have a couple good arms in the pen, but their inconsistent starting pitching will never let them rack off 7-8 wins in a row.

These rankings are based on regular season play, and as we all know, the Playoffs are a whole different animal. If they were to add a top-flight starter to go with Verlander you couldn't help but consider this team a dark horse in the playoffs. Might be a good time to look into Tigers Futures to win the World Series.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Cubs should be buried in the rankings, with the Padres/Orioles.

iifold
    Update your status

Rockies

Games: 37

Ranking: 4.89

The Rockies have to many holes to contend... U.Jimenez isn't what he was last year, and the rest of their pitchers are either too young or not talented enough to be consistently solid. Even their closer H.Street isn't very good.

They are in the middle of the pack in runs scored, and just traded for Mark Ellis.. dont think he'll be the answer to their hitting problems. I don't see this team doing anything special at all in the second half.

If Jimenez can find his old form they might be able to finish around .500, but as far as making the playoff... they are done...

iifold
    Update your status

Royals

Score: 155

Ranking: 4.19

Holy fukk this team is bad... They have a couple good young hitters, but they lack a dominant starter and the rotation as a whole is a fukkin disaster. Bruce Chen and Francis are their best starters.... You heard me right, those are their BEST pitchers... they back these studs up with Hochevar, Paulino, and K.Davies... Venditto could make this rotation after about a month of training...

13-24 since June 1st... Nobody is this bad, but expect to see these guys continue to lose...

iifold
    Update your status

Marlins

Games: 38

Score: 166

Ranking: 4.36

For a team that has went 12-26 since June 1st without their best pitcher, a Ranking of 4.36 is pretty good...but the facts still remain that the Marlins are out of playoff contention and are in the bottom third of MLB in runs scored..

They should get J.Johnson back in August and J.Vazquez has shown much better results of late so I'm pretty sure they wont go on any massive losing streaks the rest of the way. The bullpen is pretty solid so if they can fix their hitting problems, you can probably bet on this team at a good price in the second half...

iifold
    Update your status

Angels

Score: 192

Ranking: 5.48

20-15 in there last 35.. The Angels are establishing themselves as one of baseballs best. With J.Weaver and D.Haren at the top of the rotation, Losing streaks wont last long... Pinero, Chatwood, and Santana round out their rotation to give them a solid starter night in and night out.. This is what I think will lead them to win the AL West..

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

At last count there are 30 teams in MLB

iifold
    Update your status

Astros

Score: 134

Ranking: 3.62

My apologies to the Royals, They are a juggernaut compared to this compilation of wasted air miles.. They have won 9 of their last 37 games!!! If it wasn't for the little munchkin Wandy they would probably have won about 2...

I have a feeling we will be seeing some -300 lines soon...

iifold
    Update your status

Twins

Score: 202

Ranking: 5.61

24-12 over their last 36 games... what a run... are they for real?? As I looked over these games I had to keep double checking to make sure what I was reading was correct... Is this run just things evening themselves out after the Twins horrid start?? Or is this team truly deserving of this ranking that almost equals the Atlanta Braves??

Is S.Baker really this good? He has been pitching like a Cy Young Candidate... Will C.Pavano keep pumping out quality starts?? and what about B.Duensing??

They are only 6.5 games behind the Tigers and seem to have the best all around team in the division. 36 games can't be some lucky streak or fluke... This team is for real!!

Gonna be fun watching things shape up in the AL Central...

iifold
    Update your status

Dodgers

Score: 164

Ranking: 4.55

What a shame it is to see this team 10 games under .500.. With proven Stars like Kershaw, Either, and Kemp this team should contend every year. I dont know if Mattingly is to blame or the ownership problems are the reason..

One thing is for sure, whoever brought in guys like Juan Uribe and Ted Lilly should be fired...

If you look down their lineup you see promise, you look at the results of the boxscores and you see tragedy...

They will probably go on some nice win streaks in the second half...If you pick your spots you might be able to find some nicely priced winners...

iifold
    Update your status

Yankees

Score: 201

Ranking: 5.74

These aren't Goerge's Yankee's, but they are still pretty damn good...They just quietly go about bashing peoples faces in....

went 23-12 over their last 35 games..

Arod is gonna have surgery, so they could stumble a bit if their Starters don't pick up the slack... Even so, they should have no problem cruising into the playoffs while they construct a playoff roster to make a run..

iifold
    Update your status

Brewers

Ranking: 4.89

Was very surprised by this ranking... For a team that is currently 6 games over .500 and tied for first place in the NL Central, I was expecting a ranking in the mid-five area... Maybe my ranking system is flawed? Or maybe this is why they just traded for K-Rod...

I think this team is going to need more than K-Rod... Their starting pitchers are more name than substance, and their bullpen is just OK..

They rely heavily on their offense, and in the year(s) of the pitcher, I'm not so sure this is a good thing...

iifold
    Update your status

Athletics

Score: 167

Ranking: 4.63

When I saw this ranking I had to double check, thought I gave them special treatment because I grew up an A's fan... How could a team that lost 24 of their last 36 games have such a "high" ranking? Of those 24 loses, 16 of them were by 2 or fewer runs.. They played some of the Leagues best teams (Yankees, RedSox, Phillies, Rangers) and even swept the first place Giants..

By no means am I saying the A's are a top tier team, but they are much better than their record (14 games under .500) would show. Their rotation has been rocked by injury and they have one of the worst offenses in the league, yet they still play teams tough..

Be careful fading this team in the second half... they are not as bad as their record would indicate...

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

Fold are you bored son

iifold
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by rfr3sh View Post
    Fold are you bored son
    Not at all Fresher,

Do you want me to be like the rest of these fruitloops? Watching a bunch of broads kick a ball around? Trying to impress some bald jew to become poster of the month?

iifold
    Update your status

Mets

Score: 197

Ranking: 5.32

What they have done since June 1st is pretty amazing... they weren't playing the Astro's every day either... Shhhh

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Quote Originally Posted by nosniboR11 View Post
    . This is experimental so don't put too much into it...
    dont worry nobody takes anything you say about sports seriously[/quote] Post Nomination
    You may not nominate a post by the same author today.

iifold
    Update your status

Mariners

Score: 164

Ranking: 4.43

The Mariners are just good enough to lose.. Their rotation is their strength, King Felix and Pineda are a solid 1-2 punch.. Fister and Vargas eat up innings and allow them to keep guys like A.Laffey in the bullpen as long as possible. If only they could score runs...

They have scored a league low 301 runs (3.3 a game)

Youngster D.Ackley has been a bright spot of late, if he could help jump start their offense, they will go on some nice winning streaks simply because their starters are solid.

iifold
    Update your status

Phillies

Score: 209

Ranking: 5.80

No big secret here... Halladay--Lee--Hamels

and it looks like their offense is picking up...

iifold
    Update your status

Rays

Score: 189

Ranking: 5.25

Very confusing team.. can be very, very, good... and very, very, bad...

They will need to become way more consistent to make up the 5 games they are behind the Yanks...

iifold
    Update your status

Pirates

Score: 195

Ranking: 5.27

Nice ranking for the Bucco's!!! Too Bad it isn't going to last much longer...

They played a cream puff schedule and their starting pitchers are coming back to earth. "Sharps" going to get crushed by this team in the second half... I will be fading them as much as I can until this "secret" comes out...

I do Love their bullpen so most of my "Fading of the Pirates" will involve first five inning wagers...

Sorry Pirate Fans, they aren't ready to make the Playoffs just yet....

iifold
    Update your status

Rangers

Score: 202

Ranking: 5.45

We all know they hit, but will they pitch??

12 Last