dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Jayson Starks NL Mid Season Cy Young

Good stuff Starks hopefully 3 of the top 4 are still sitting there after this weekend series

Jayson Starks Ballot: 1) Halladay, 1-A) Jurrjens, 2) Cole Hamels, 3) Cliff Lee, 4) Clayton Kershaw, 5) Tommy Hanson.

NL CY YOUNG OF THE HALF-YEAR
    Roy Halladay, Phillies

Roy Halladay
    #34 SP
    Philadelphia Phillies

Before the Jair Jurrjens Fan Club starts typing the first of its 188,000 emails that announce, "Stark is an idiot," here's the deal with this pick: What we have here is, essentially, a tie between Cy Halladay and a shooting star who's having a phenomenal season (i.e., Jurrjens). "Here's the way I'd put it," one longtime NL scout advised Half-Year in Review. "You've got 1 and 1-A, and Halladay is 1. And the reason Halladay is 1 is that he's more feared." Another scout told me basically the same thing, saying: "Halladay is a guy you can match up with the toughest teams and anybody's No. 1. Jurrjens is on a hell of a roll, but it's not the same level of dominance." But even after listening to four scouts give virtually identical arguments, I wasn't sold. This award is about performance -- not history, not reputations. And fortunately, we now live in a world overstuffed with fabulous information to help us evaluate performance. So here's what that information tells us: Jurrjens is 12-3, with an incredible ERA (1.87) more than half a run lower than Halladay's (2.44). Ten years ago, that would have been the beginning and end of this discussion. But if you look beyond those columns on the stat sheet, you find it isn't that simple. Halladay is No. 1 in the NL in wins above replacement (4.7), according to FanGraphs. Jurrjens is 12th (2.3). Halladay leads the league in FanGraphs' Fielding Independent Pitching rankings and ESPN.com's Defense Independent ERA. Jurrjens sits way behind him, at 14th and 13th, respectively. According to Baseball Info Solutions, Halladay has thrown the most "Gems" (starts of six-plus innings pitched, with a 65-plus game score) in the league, with 10. Jurrjens is tied for 20th, with five. Halladay also leads Jurrjens in WHIP, strikeout ratio, walk ratio, average game score and team won-lost record. And Halladay tops him in all those departments even though he's faced 98 more hitters, made nearly twice as many starts that lasted seven-plus innings (15-8) and thrown 416 more pitches. So you tell me which of these guys has "pitched" the best. Those numbers tell me it's Roy Halladay -- barely. But you know what I'd tell anybody who would argue otherwise? This is one debate in which there's no wrong answer.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Halladay is a shoo-in in the NL; but Stark, as usual, shows how big a tool with his 1 & 1a crap.

the AL provides a much better race for the Cy young

pittmatt80
    pittmatt80's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Halladay should win if he keeps it up and winning, Jurrejens has a chance the way he has been pitching but I kinda think he is like Ubaldo. We shall see after the rest of the season

BigDan
    BigDan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pittmatt80 View Post
    Halladay should win if he keeps it up and winning, Jurrejens has a chance the way he has been pitching but I kinda think he is like Ubaldo. We shall see after the rest of the season

Dude that is way off base. i mean Doc probably win but jair is no jimenez.

dlunc3

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    Halladay is a shoo-in in the NL; but Stark, as usual, shows how big a tool with his 1 & 1a crap.

the AL provides a much better race for the Cy young
    Here is his AL if you havent already seen it:

AL CY YOUNG OF THE HALF-YEAR
    Justin Verlander, Tigers

Justin Verlander
    #35 SP
    Detroit Tigers

All righty, here we go again. Yes, Jered Weaver has a sub-2.00 ERA. And Josh Beckett has been a dominator. CC Sabathia just keeps on winning. And James Shields has lived up to his "Big Game" nickname. Want to start preparing your passionate campaign for one of those fine twirlers? Go right ahead. But friends, I'm here to argue this has been Justin Verlander's year. The pitchers around him in Motown have done such an exemplary job, they just got their pitching coach fired. So you can't underestimate what it means to a team like this to have a guy on the payroll who embraces ace-hood like Verlander does. In a year in which he's pitched into the eighth inning more times (12) than any other pitcher in either league and in which he's launched at least 115 pitches in more starts (10) than any other pitcher in baseball, he's still breathing exactly the same five-alarm fire in his last inning as in his first. "The thing I love the most about him," one scout said, "is that he can smell a win. He actually gets stronger late in the game. He actually throws harder. He just smells it." Hey, it's true. Despite all those innings and all those pitches, Verlander leads the league in WHIP and quality starts (18, out of 19 starts). He's thrown a no-hitter, taken another one into the eighth and taken yet another into the sixth. He's coming off one of the most dominating months in AL history (6-0, 0.92 ERA in June). And if you stack him up against Weaver, who has a great case for this award, here's what you find: Verlander beats him in strikeout ratio, walk ratio, opponent average and WHIP (among other things). Not to mention Verlander has gone eight innings or more in twice as many starts as Weaver (10 to five). So once again, the heck with that ERA column. I know a Cy Young when I see one.

My ballot: 1) Verlander, 2) Weaver, 3) Beckett, 4) Shields, 5) Sabathia

BigDan

Is Stark the same asshole that put Berkman as 7th in nl mvp for 1st half? whoever it was is flat out retarded.

dlunc3

na he had him at 3rd.... here are his MVP votes..

NL: 1) Reyes, 2) Prince Fielder, 3) Lance Berkman, 4) Matt Kemp, 5) Joey Votto, 6) Ryan Braun, 7) Andrew McCutchen, 8) Brian McCann, 9) Roy Halladay, 10) Justin Upton.

AL: 1) Gonzalez, 2) Bautista, 3) Miguel Cabrera, 4) Curtis Granderson, 5) Asdrubal Cabrera, 6) Paul Konerko, 7) Mark Teixeira, 8) Michael Young, 9) Justin Verlander, 10) Jered Weaver.

BigDan

right on, some assclown had Puma 7th! How is that fukkin possible? I know im a homer (not like you but still a homer,lol) but that dude has been huge for stl, and probably the biggest reason they still at top of nl central. Cant argue with Prince but Reyes will fade/stay hurt plus plus his team is shit so it be tough for him to win.

dlunc3

Quote Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
    right on, some assclown had Puma 7th! How is that fukkin possible? I know im a homer (not like you but still a homer,lol) but that dude has been huge for stl, and probably the biggest reason they still at top of nl central. Cant argue with Prince but Reyes will fade/stay hurt plus plus his team is shit so it be tough for him to win.
    haha no your right... berkman is single handedly gonna cost me my stl under bet crazy the difference between how bad he was for the yanks last yr, and what he is doing for the cards now. Jose Bautista must have given him some of his "secret stuff" in the off season. No way he is less then #3. I might honestly put him at #2 behind prince just bc his team is still in contention unlike the mets.

BigDan

that total gonna be close. Im on the over and stl so hoping we can get a few more before Loshe has his 1 bad inning in the 5th or 6th. If Loshe keeps cruising you win, but i can usually count on him to have one rough patch and give up 2 or 3.

dlunc3

Quote Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
    that total gonna be close. Im on the over and stl so hoping we can get a few more before Loshe has his 1 bad inning in the 5th or 6th. If Loshe keeps cruising you win, but i can usually count on him to have one rough patch and give up 2 or 3.
    My bad, I meant my under 86.5 on the year... I actually have a decent amount on them tonight, so hoping that Loshe keeps on cruising

BigDan

Quote Originally Posted by dlunc3 View Post
    My bad, I meant my under 86.5 on the year... I actually have a decent amount on them tonight, so hoping that Loshe keeps on cruising

oh yea 4got about that, your year under is toast!! as long as they make a move or 2 which i cant see why they wouldnt. honestly dont even know their pace just being a homer in this thread
    Loshe rarely cruises all the way thru, now the over is looking great hopefully Cards can find a way to win it. Really like them with Carp 2marro.

dlunc3

before tonights game, they are on pace for 85.5... so should be close.. like you said, its all gonna depend on what moves they make

dlunc3

wow big ariz error there... woulda ended the game