nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE
    nobs's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why are the Yankees getting no respect this year ?

Team is up 2 1/2 games and can be found at +200 or better to win Al East.

The Red Sox are 2 1/2 back and are -250 most places.

What gives ?

Usually if anything, the Yankees are given too much respect, this year they seem to be getting none.

In years past, it seems if the Yankees were 5 games out right now they would still be the favorite to win the division.

I dont get it. The Red Sox offense looks anemic. Only Gonzalez hitting over .275 and Sutton and Reddick dont count these guys have less than 40 AB's.

The Yankees will get Jeter back soon. Texeria, Cano, Posada, Jeter, Jones, Swisher. Add that too pretty strong pitching from Sabathia, Burnett, Garcia, Nova.

Also 4 guys in the pen with Era's in the 1's. Ayala ( ERA 1.48) Robertson (ERA 1.15) Rivera ( ERA 1.78)

Who knows what happens here, but I will take the Yankees + 200

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Ortiz is hitting like .315 i think but not playing much in interleague

rm18
    Update your status

and ellsbury over .300 too

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Yankees have to beat the Rangers & Redsox first to win the AL playoffs. Then they would have to face either Phillies, Braves or Giants which all three have superior pitching compared to Yankees. Other than CC Sabathia all other Yankee pitchers are not playoff material.
    Last edited by pavyracer; 07-01-11 at 12:41 PM.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Ok you got me on Ellsbury. Still Drew, Youkilis, Pedroia in the mid .200's. The Red Sox big names arent hitting that well. And I think the Yankees have better bats, better starting rotation, and a better bullpen. I just dont see how the Red Sox can be justified at -250 to win the division when they are 2 1/2 back right now. That suggests that the Red Sox are much better team than the Yankees, and they just arent.

The teams are even at best, and with the Yankees up 2 1/2 they should be a small favorite, not +200.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Yankees have to beat the Rangers & Redsox first to win the AL east playoffs. Then they would have to face either Phillies, Braves or Giants which all three have superior pitching compared to Yankees. Other than CC Sabathia all other Yankee pitchers are not playoff material.

I am talking about AL East odds. This has nothing to do with playoffs.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by nobs View Post
    I am talking about AL East odds. This has nothing to do with playoffs.
    OIC...never mind

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Yankees have to beat the Rangers & Redsox first to win the AL east playoffs. Then they would have to face either Phillies, Braves or Giants which all three have superior pitching compared to Yankees. Other than CC Sabathia all other Yankee pitchers are not playoff material.

Good point though. In years past +200 for the Yankees would be their price to win the AL. This +200 is to win the AL East

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Once the Red Sox are done with this inter-league nonsense they will regain top spot in the AL East. They have been playing great ball since their 2-10 start aside from this away inter-league crap.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Well Yanks are older
    Pitching is really not that great
    They easily can lose in playoffs like they normally do

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Possibly because nobody likes NY or maybe it is because the Yanks have been ass raped by Boston 8 times all ready this season.

james4512
    james4512's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 139

i agree but its not a good spot to take the yankees to win division, the red sox will regain the division within 2 weeks. The yanks are redic hot (mainly because of long homestand) and the red sox are cold due to interleague play and loss of big popi. So red sox will get it back together shortly and the yanks will slump a little on the road so red sox should regain control of first place shortly

legendmatt34
    legendmatt34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 83

Because the'v been beating up on all the cellar dwellers while playing at Yankee Stadium every game.. Try beating a real time like the Red Sox! 1-6 vs them.... Yankees SUCK!

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

Pitching

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Well Yanks are older

alling
    alling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

because just like last year they aren't going to win the world series this year

no way jose

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Quote Originally Posted by nobs View Post
    Ok you got me on Ellsbury. Still Drew, Youkilis, Pedroia in the mid .200's. The Red Sox big names arent hitting that well. And I think the Yankees have better bats, better starting rotation, and a better bullpen. I just dont see how the Red Sox can be justified at -250 to win the division when they are 2 1/2 back right now. That suggests that the Red Sox are much better team than the Yankees, and they just arent.

The teams are even at best, and with the Yankees up 2 1/2 they should be a small favorite, not +200.
    I think that's part of the reason the Sox are still faves... they started the season playing terribly, they aren't hitting well as they should, Lester hasn't pitched to his potential, and they're still only 2.5 back. If they can play even decent ball, they should take over first by the end of the year.

The Yanks injury concerns will haunt them all yea IMO. Going to be tough for them to get healthy

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by RubberKettle View Post
    Once the Red Sox are done with this inter-league nonsense they will regain top spot in the AL East. They have been playing great ball since their 2-10 start aside from this away inter-league crap.

Maybe, Maybe not. But do you think -260 is a decent price considering they are chasing the Yankees and the Rays are also a contender.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Well Yanks are older

Again, playoffs have nothing to do with this.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Could have tacked on another game to the lead last night, but The Red Sox came back from 5-1 down in the 7th inning. Still Yankees win again today, so another chance to gain a game. Yankees now 50-31, on pace to win exactly 100 games. I dont know how it will turn out, but I cant pass up +200 on a 50-31 first place team like the Yankees.

rm18
    Update your status

Jeter is back Monday then they will start losing again

doylfish
    doylfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9805

freddy garcia and the word 'strong' to describe his pitching is a bit of a stretch i think..nova does look promising, but the main reason is that the yanks are gonna have to work a lot harder to turn around their pitching and a lot hinges on hughes, much moreso than the sox, sox offense will turn around if crawford can ever turn himself around when he gets off the DL and crawford off the DL = much better than jeter off the DL

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Everyone talks about the Yankees pitching being so weak. I dont get it.

The Red Sox have given up more runs this year then the Yankees have.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

nobs maybe it has to do with the fact that the yankees have lost something like 7/8 to the sox this year
    no idea

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Yankees to win Al East +200

Yankees to win AL +205

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

bartolo colon looks really good, been making some money when he pitches. whip 1.06

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

nobs the yanks arent winning the east. books are baiting you to take them. books have had bos the favorite to win the east before the season began. the yanks might not even make the playoffs. they dont have the pitching that will last the next 3 months. they have been on a good run and are playing okay but they will collapse down the stretch. red sox to win the east at -137 is a steal. see what price you can get on the yanks 30 games from now.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Phil Hughes will be back tomorrow. The Yankees slide to .500 will start soon.

rm18
    Update your status

If the Yankees fix their order they might be better than Boston but not with Jeter leadoff and Cano 5th

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Because you've had a weak ass schedule so far. Your offense is the best in baseball against average pitching but it's atrocious vs. good pitching. Cano is the only hitter on your team who doesn't get owned vs. solid pitchers. Our offense hits good pitching AND pedroia and youkilis are having the shittiest years ever. They'll probably come around whereas all of your hitter are running wayyyyy above expectation. You think texiera is going to continue hitting hr's at this pace(btw he only has like 15 hrs if he doesn't play in Yankee stadium)? Granderson is running wayyyy hotter than his true skill(he's good, but not that good). Martin is the biggest luckbox of all time hahaha his pussy is so tight and he thinks he's so hard. Bullpen variance is hilarious. Your bullpen is nowhere near as good as they're pitching. Ours is nowhere near as bad as they've been pitching. Your starting is atrocious. CC is tremendously overrated and he's your ace by a mile. Thanks for the easy division victory pussydolls. The RAYS are better than you.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Beckett + Lester + Buchholz > Sabathia

I know that Colon and Garcia have been surprisingly good, but that won't last.

Yankees do have the better bullpen though, which may be most key

himeshforex
    himeshforex's Avatar Become A Pro!

boston are mlb's this seasons miami heat !!

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

2-1 odds to win the division isn't exactly not giving any respect. I mean unless the Blue Jays get more consistent starting pitching this is just a 2 team race.

What are the odds for the Yankees to win the world series?

Can anyone honestly see any team besides the Red Sox, Yankees, or Phillies winning the World Series this year?

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

If you look at Boston and Yanks head to head. First Offense who would you take, I would take Boston. Starting pitching I would take Boston no question. I don't think the Yanks starting pitchers are going to hold up all season, its pretty amazing when you think about it, that they got so much quality from waiver wire guys. The bullpen i will give a slight edge to the Yanks.
    Boston offense is one of the best we have ever seen IMO. From top to bottom, their top top 6 in their line up is amazing. Not only can they hit the long ball they are very disciplined hitters. Wait in till Carl Crawford gets into his stuff, because he was starting to in till he got hurt. Then Boston is going to be that much better.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

too bad they got jeter back off the DL. he has been one of the worst players in baseball this season. he will hurt the team. look to boston to take a big lead now.

12 Last