bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mets trade for Orlando Hernandez

and this is suppose to help them

Mets trade for Orlando Hernandez from Diamondbacks

May 24, 2006
    FLUSHING, New York (Ticker) - Orlando Hernandez is headed back to the Big Apple.

The New York Mets bolstered their ailing starting rotation on Wednesday, acquiring Hernandez from the Arizona Diamondbacks for righthander Jorge Julio.

Nicknamed "El Duque," Hernandez established himself as a big-game pitcher while helping the New York Yankees capture three consecutive World Series titles from 1998-200. The Cuban righthander went 2-4 with a 6.11 ERA in nine starts with the Diamondbacks this year.

"This is the life of baseball. You never have control of your situation, but I'm happy," Hernandez said. "I have a good relationship with Omar Minaya. I have a good relationship with Willie Randolph."

Hernandez, 36, is a much-needed addition to a Mets rotation which is currently without injured righthanders Victor Zambrano and rookie Brian Bannister.

Julio, 27, went 1-2 with a 5.06 ERA in 18 relief appearances with the Mets. Acquired in the offseason trade which sent righthander Kris Benson to Baltimore, the hard-throwing Julio struggled with his command throughout the campaign, allowing 21 hits and 10 walks in 21 1/3 innings.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great trade. He has struggled this year, but the Mets will get him the run support he needs.