bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

How do the Mariners have a closer with a 6 ERA?

I mean wtf, at the end of a 0-0 incredible pitcher's duel it ends in the 9th with this piece of crap, why not just leave in the original pitcher?

Unreal

thejrichshow85
    ban
    thejrichshow85's Avatar Become A Pro!

unreal bases loaded no out.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Brandon League is their closer. He has 20 saves and nowhere near a 6 era.

thejrichshow85
    ban
    thejrichshow85's Avatar Become A Pro!

seattle gave up its over

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Brandon League is their closer. He has 20 saves and nowhere near a 6 era.
    Well who the **** was that guy they pulled out of the stands to pitch in the 9th inning 0-0 with a 6 ERA, they called him Chris Gay

He proceeded to immediately load the bases no out and game over, I was typing up this thread before hed even give up the first hit, I just couldnt believe that shit

Not-A-Kid
    Not-A-Kid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8134

Tough way to lose a game. Pineda was dominant. Neither team could get the big hit when they needed it. Seattle had plenty of chances to win the game and couldn't come through.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

He's just a middle relief Guy I guess. Definitely not throwing well.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Yeah....that wasn't their closer.

solid152
    solid152's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

bad team is bad. **** seattle.

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    He's just a middle relief Guy I guess. Definitely not throwing well.
    Middle reliever with an over 6 ERA in the 9th inning of a tie game? I mean wtf, this is why I hate baseball, watch an incredible game then just throw the game at the end, 9th inning was a 1.6 ERA pitcher for Washington vs a 6.6 ERA pitcher for Seattle, just a waste of time watching that whole scoreless battle between Pineda and Marquis to pull that shit at the end

Reminded me of the ending to No Country for Old Men, just ruined a great thing

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    Yeah....that wasn't their closer.
    I think he was a pitcher for the Nats they put in a Seattle uniform and the Mariners coach was too drunk to care

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

Haha, sorry you lost your wager-funny thread though. "Guy from the stands..." classic. In a way I feel bad for some of these pitchers-seem literally made to throw away. Cheers

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

i liked it, i kept betting the under live as the game progressed you could just tell it was a pitchers duel. then top of the 9th seattle got a man on 2nd and i bet WAS ML live @ +120 to win. loved what happened in the entire game... cashed a bunch of bets

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    i liked it, i kept betting the under live as the game progressed you could just tell it was a pitchers duel. then top of the 9th seattle got a man on 2nd and i bet WAS ML live @ +120 to win. loved what happened in the entire game... cashed a bunch of bets
    Where at, when I saw the Mariners manager offer a kid in the stands with downs syndrome the "ultimate baseball experience" to be a closer in the 9th inning of a 0-0 game I woulda gone all in on the Nats as well

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Where at, when I saw the Mariners manager offer a kid in the stands with downs syndrome the "ultimate baseball experience" to be a closer in the 9th inning of a 0-0 game I woulda gone all in on the Nats as well
    live MLB betting for BetOnline

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    live MLB betting for BetOnline
    Ohhh okay you bet at BetOnline

Well I'll give ya 20 cents on the dollar to buy your balance, probably more than its worth at that place

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

What kind of a closer has no saves after appearing in 25 games and only pitching the 9th inning once?

shaq diesel 75
    shaq diesel 75's Avatar Become A Pro!

Managers have no feel anymore, they just go righty vs righty and lefty vs lefty in the late innings. The owners might as well save the money they pay the managers and let the stats and computers make late inning pitching changes.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by shaq diesel 75 View Post
    Managers have no feel anymore, they just go righty vs righty and lefty vs lefty in the late innings. The owners might as well save the money they pay the managers and let the stats and computers make late inning pitching changes.
    Not all managers do that. Braves always pitch Kimbrel on 9th inning if the game is tied after 8 innings.

shaq diesel 75

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Not all managers do that. Braves always pitch Kimbrel on 9th inning if the game is tied after 8 innings.
    90% of the managers bring out their closer in the top of the 9th in tied games, which is another example of the managers having no feel or understanding of pscychology. Bring out the guy who makes his $ closing out a game to pitch when all they can do is keep it tied. Most of the relievers hate this situation because they don't have a chance to get a save out of it, then they come out and throw fastballs down the middle cause they don't care. I'd say the closer in the top of the 9th is a prime example of poor managment since they're bringing. In a guy to do something he's not used to. IMO

bettilimbroke999

I completely agree, a baseball manager should make no more than 50k a year, you could give a random Joe off the street with a computer program a job as baseball manager and he would outperform the guys in the majors. The Mariners manager should be fired for putting that trash on the mound in the 9th of a 0-0 game and throwing the game, no wonder they had to ban Pete Rose from the hall of fame if you want to cash your bet just put in a 7 ERA to close your tie games, no doubt the Mariners manager was all in on the Nats today

southmadejd
    southmadejd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 830

I agree that closers don't normally have the mindset for pitching in non save situations but I don't agree with "they don't care"....of course they care, it is their job to care.

southmadejd
    southmadejd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 830

Also, Venters should have been the closer for the Braves a long time ago....I am sick of Kimbrel making games "interesting".

bettilimbroke999

90% of the managers bring out their closer in the top of the 9th in tied games, which is another example of the managers having no feel or understanding of pscychology. Bring out the guy who makes his $ closing out a game to pitch when all they can do is keep it tied. Most of the relievers hate this situation because they don't have a chance to get a save out of it, then they come out and throw fastballs down the middle cause they don't care. I'd say the closer in the top of the 9th is a prime example of poor managment since they're bringing. In a guy to do something he's not used to. IMO
    So bring in a 7 ERA pitcher to load the bases no outs instead? Of course you bring your closer in a tie or close game, thats just natural, that's what they're paid to do, sure they cant get a save but they can keep their team from losing, if you think a closer would just fire belt high fastballs to throw the game bc he cant get a save you're an idiot. Nats brought in their closer Clippard who pitched like gold in top of the 9th with a 1.6 ERA, Mariners brought in their bat boy who loaded the bases no outs

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

I think the managers want to end the game as quickly as possible. So they bring the closer to pitch the 9th in a tied game and their best reliever to pitch the 10th if is still tied. Then they want a guy who can pitch at least 3 innings to pitch after the 11th.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    So bring in a 7 ERA pitcher to load the bases no outs instead? Of course you bring your closer in a tie or close game, thats just natural, that's what they're paid to do, sure they cant get a save but they can keep their team from losing, if you think a closer would just fire belt high fastballs to throw the game bc he cant get a save you're an idiot
    That's the best post you made since you started posting here.

bettilimbroke999

I was enjoying a perfectly good pitcher's duel on my new big screen and sweatin my Mariners bet...until the 9th inning. I must say when I saw the 7 ERA reliever coming into the game I became a little frustrated and disagreed with the managers decision, now I dont know exactly what happened but my TV malfunctioned, I will be taking the TV back to Wal-Mart as it was clearly defective

shaq diesel 75

I'm not saying closers throw the game in non-save situations, I'm saying they have a different approach than when it's a save situation. When it's a non-save they throw strikes because everyone knows walking a batter is a no-no in middle or late inning relief, when it's a save situation it doesn't matter if you let runners on as long as they get the save.

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    That's the best post you made since you started posting here.
    I may seem biased but thats the best post you've made since posting here

Just jokin, thank you for the compliment sir
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 06-23-11 at 04:44 PM.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

League isn't the closer either. He is for now until Aardsma is healthy again. League isn't a world class closer, still probably better than the guy they brought in.

But really, ERA for closers/short relief guys isn't really a very accurate statistic to go on.

Cappinpicks
    Cappinpicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

why would they use the closer if it was a tie? Rookie bettors shouldn't complain.

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by Cappinpicks View Post
    why would they use the closer if it was a tie? Rookie bettors shouldn't complain.
    I completely disagree with this, basically you're closer is just your best reliever why would you bring in your worst reliever in a tie game 9th inning? If not the closer at least bring in a reliever that doesnt give up 2/3 of a run per inning

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy
    dudekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Cappinpicks View Post
    why wouldnt you use a closer in a tie in the 9th on the road?? saving your best reliever for some hypothetical save situation that you may never get to is idiotic...speaking of rookie bettors...

shaq diesel 75

Closers will never come in during a tie game in the 9th for a road team, never happens and never will. Only time a closer comes in during a tie game is for the home team. This is fact and not subject to debate.

bettilimbroke999

Closers will never come in during a tie game in the 9th for a road team, never happens and never will. Only time a closer comes in during a tie game is for the home team. This is fact and not subject to debate.
    Do u support bringing in a 6 ERA reliever in bot 9th of a 0-0 tie, I mean this is a fuckin epic pitcher's duel, 2 shutouts being pitched and bring in this load of crap reliever, its disrespectful to the game, disrespectful to the fans and most importantly disrespectful to my wallet since I was on that pos 6 ERA reliever

Meanwhile those on the Nats must've thought they won the fuckin lotto when they saw that bum walkin to the mound, I never knew in a tie game the road team just gives up and puts in their worst reliever while the home team puts their closer on the mound, fuckin rigged ass shit
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 06-23-11 at 06:38 PM.

12 Last