the mets just imploded in the 9th inning. i could't believe they brought him in the game with a 4 run lead. i myself was happy with the move, but that was not the right move at all IMO

Notes from Saturday's games
May 20, 2006

ATLANTA: To make room for RHP Travis Smith, who started Saturday night, the Braves optioned RHP Peter Moylan to Triple-A Richmond. RHP Kyle Davies was transferred to the 60-day DL to open a spot for Smith on the 40-man roster. Moylan had a 9.53 ERA in seven appearances for Atlanta. ... After going 3-for-4 with two RBIs in Friday night's 10-9 loss, 3B Chipper Jones has hit safely in 24 of his 29 games this season. He has 10 RBIs in the last three games. ... Entering Saturday night's game, CF Andruw Jones has gone 56 at-bats without a home run.

ARIZONA: Friday night's 10-9 victory marked the fourth time this year that the Diamondbacks have rallied from at least five down to take the lead, but they only won two of those games. ... With his 508th double on Friday, LF Luis Gonzalez needs two to catch Rickey Henderson for 37th on the career list. ... The Diamondbacks lead the NL in hitting at .277, just ahead of Atlanta's .276. ... Arizona turned two double plays on Friday night to boost its major league-leading total to 60. Houston is second with 51.

---

---

---

BALTIMORE: 2B Brian Roberts, on the 15-day DL with a groin strain, went through a regular day of baseball activities before Saturday's game, but manager Sam Perlozzo still isn't sure when Roberts will be activated. ``Could be he's a little longer than we expect,'' Perlozzo said. ``We'll see how he feels tomorrow.'' ... Perlozzo is considering giving DH Javy Lopez a start at catcher in Sunday's finale of a three-game series at RFK Stadium. C Ramon Hernandez has started 12 consecutive games for Baltimore.

WASHINGTON: OF Alex Escobar, recalled from Double-A Harrisburg after Friday's game, played center field and batted sixth against the Orioles. ``We've been watching a lot of outfielders not perform, so we're going to keep giving players opportunities and try to find somebody who wants to have some success up here and stay up here,'' Nationals general manager Jim Bowden said. ... Manager Frank Robinson was awarded an honorary degree at graduation ceremonies at George Washington University on Saturday morning.

---

---

BOSTON: Kevin Youkilis was back in the lineup and made his third start at third base. Youkilis sat out Friday night so David Ortiz could play first base because the designated hitter isn't used in NL parks in interleague games. Mike Lowell wasn't in the starting lineup a night after going 3-for-3 with a homer. ... LHP David Wells is scheduled to make a rehab start Sunday for Triple-A Pawtucket against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. The left-hander has been sidelined with a knee injury. ... Lenny DiNardo (1-1) makes his fifth start Sunday afternoon.

PHILADELPHIA: Asked why he didn't juggle his lineup after saying he was considering making changes, manager Charlie Manuel joked: ``I couldn't find a pen.'' Manuel said he wants to stick with Jimmy Rollins in the leadoff spot even though the three-time All-Star is struggling. ``I don't want to panic. Over the years, I've become more patient.'' Manuel refuses to consider Bobby Abreu for the top spot in the lineup, though Abreu's .450 on-base percentage leads the team. Abreu prefers to hit third and Manuel plans to keep him there. ... Cory Lidle (3-4) tries to even his record Sunday afternoon.

---

---

DETROIT: With CF Curtis Granderson getting a day off, Craig Monroe made just his fifth start of the year in center. The batting order was also juggled with Placido Polanco leading off for the second time this season, while Marcus Thames hit second for the first time. ... LHP Mike Maroth made his 129th start as a Tiger on Saturday, moving him into a tie for ninth among Detroit left-handers with Hank Aguirre. ... DH Dmitri Young (quadriceps) was in the lineup for the first time since May 16.

CINCINNATI: Ken Griffey Jr. was considering drastic action in order to attend Sunday's Game 7 between the Detroit Pistons and Cleveland Cavaliers, which will be played at the Palace of Auburn Hills, about 30 miles north of Comerica Park. ``They start at 3:30, so I'll have to get thrown out in the first inning,'' joked Griffey, a Cavaliers fan. ``I'll just argue about the first pitch, even if it's a ball. That'll give me enough time to shower, change and get to the game.'' ... The Reds activated LHP Eric Milton (knee) from the DL in time to start Saturday's game, and designated LHP Dave Williams for assignment.

---

---

PITTSBURGH: 1B Sean Casey took batting and fielding practice for the first time Saturday since going on the DL with two broken vertebrae. ``I felt good and everything really went well,'' Casey said. Manager Jim Tracy said how Casey feels Sunday will tell whether the veteran is ready to progress to a minor league rehab assignment. ... RHP Kip Wells threw 70 pitches in the bullpen in his first workout since injuring his shoulder in late February and undergoing surgery. ``His progress is amazing and he's chomping at the bit, but we can't rush it,'' Tracy said. ... C Ryan Doumit, who has battled hamstring problems all season, was the DH for the second straight game. ``He can't get down and catch, but he's the perfect guy to be the DH right now,'' Tracy said. ``This is a good way to get him some at-bats.''

CLEVELAND: Lou Merloni started at third base Saturday night in place of Aaron Boone, who rested a sore back. ``He's better today, but we want to give him a rest so it doesn't get worse,'' manager Eric Wedge said of Boone, who left Friday night's game in the eighth inning. ... LHP C.C. Sabathia ``caught'' the ceremonial first pitch from Negro Leagues legend Buck O'Neil, 95. O'Neil ran the ball from the mound to the plate, plopping it into Sabathia's mitt. ... C Tim Laker, 36, was called up from Triple-A Buffalo and the Indians sent down 25-year-old rookie C Kelly Shoppach, who had played in only eight games, hitting .250 (4-for-16) with two RBIs.

---

---

YANKEES: Joe Torre recorded his 1,900th win as a manager. He needs one more victory to tie Gene Mauch for 11th on the career list. ... The Yankees made an error in their eighth straight game. That's their worst streak since making miscues in 10 consecutive games in May 2000, the Elias Sports Bureau said. ... This was the 26th time in Yankees history that they won a game when they trailed by four or more runs in the ninth inning or later. The previous time was last Aug. 27 against Kansas City. ... Miguel Cairo made his first start in LF since 2003. ... OF Richard Hidalgo worked out at the Yankees' complex in Tampa, Fla. Baltimore signed the 30-year-old Hidalgo in February and cut him in March. He is a career .269 hitter with 171 home runs for Houston, the Mets and Texas.

METS: Pedro Martinez and Mike Mussina faced each other for the ninth time in regular-season games, tying for the most head-to-head matchups among active pitchers, the Elias Sports Bureau said. The others: Greg Maddux vs. Curt Schilling, Maddux vs. Terry Mulholland and Brad Radke vs. Kenny Rogers. Including a duel in the 2004 AL championship series, Martinez and Mussina have started against each other 10 times. The overall records: Martinez is 3-4 with a 3.47 ERA, and 80 strikeouts in 70 innings; Mussina is 3-3 with a 2.22 ERA, and 77 strikeouts in 73 innings. ... The Mets released RHP Bartolome Fortunato. He was 1-0 in two games despite a 27.00 ERA.

---

---

FLORIDA: OF Jeremy Hermida (right hip flexor strain) could be activated from the 15-day DL Monday or Tuesday. He has been taking part in a minor league rehab assignment with Single-A Jupiter. ``The at-bats will do him good,'' manager Joe Girardi said. ... SS Hanley Ramirez (left shoulder strain) was out of the lineup for the fourth straight game. He took part in pregame drills. ... 2B Dan Uggla was the designated hitter. Miguel Cabrera, who was the DH Friday, returned to third base. ... LHP Dontrelle Willis will pitch for the first time at Tropicana Field on Sunday.

TAMPA BAY: 22-year-old LHP Scott Kazmir (6-2) will try to extend his career-best four-game winning streak Sunday against 24-year-old Florida LHP Dontrelle Willis. ... LHP Casey Fossum (mild groin strain) might not be ready for his next scheduled start Wednesday. A decision will likely come after a bullpen session Monday. ``Hopefully I'll be ready,'' said Fossum, who was hurt during his start Friday. ``It's too soon to tell. It feels a little better today.''

---

---

CUBS: The Cubs have been shut out six times in the last 20 games and couldn't score Saturday despite nine hits. ``We need something. We are looking for some offense, but it starts with starting pitching,'' manager Dusty Baker said, noting that the Cubs have been giving up big innings like Saturday's five-run second that featured a brawl. ... LHP Rich Hill still doesn't have a major league victory. But he has received just one run of support in his last four games. ... After John Mabry was ejected and with Todd Walker at DH, the Cubs had to move starting second baseman Jerry Hairston to first base in the second inning, his first career appearance at the position. ... Aramis Ramirez, who was supposed to pick the Cubs up after Derrek Lee broke his wrist, was dropped to sixth in the batting order, entering the game with just a .213 average and six homers. He went 2-for-3.

WHITE SOX: The White Sox have won 24 of their last 30 home games dating to last season, including the playoffs. ... Freddy Garcia won his seventh straight decision, a career best for a single season. He also did not walk a batter for the third time this season. Garcia is 4-0 in four starts against the Cubs with a 0.60 ERA and has been an very effective pitcher in interleague play, going 16-6 with a 2.29 ERA. ... Tadahito Iguchi's six RBIs were a career high. He hit his first career grand slam and also had his first multihomer game. Iguchi is enjoying the interleague series. ``When I look at the fans I can see everybody is into it,'' Iguchi said through a translator. ``And when I look at the benches, I can see everybody is into it, too.'' ... Jose Contreras, who has won 13 straight regular-season decisions, will return from the DL Sunday to start the series finale against Carlos Zambrano.

---

---

MILWAUKEE: Geoff Jenkins is excited about the new talent in the Brewers' lineup this season. ``It's great, it gives us more ways to win than we've had in the past,'' Jenkins said Saturday of newcomers like Prince Fielder and Corey Koskie. ... LHP Chris Capuano (4-3) makes his 10th start of the season Sunday. He got the win in his only previous start against Minnesota, a 3-1 victory last season. ... RHP Rick Helling threw 30 pitches off a mound Saturday. It was his first time working off a mound since going on the DL April 26 with a right elbow injury.

MINNESOTA: RHP Boof Bonser will make his major league debut Sunday against the Brewers. He has played in the minor leagues since 2000. This season he was 3-2 with a 2.01 ERA in eight starts with Triple-A Rochester. ... OF Shannon Stewart will see a team doctor Monday about his sore left heel, which has been bothering him since spring training. Despite the injury, he has played in 35 games and hit .298 with two home runs and 17 RBIs.

---

---

TEXAS: Rangers manager Buck Showalter hopes that reliever Scott Feldman's sprained left ankle won't land him on the DL. Feldman was injured on Friday after chasing down speedy Willy Taveras on his way to first base, but Showalter said he would wait a couple of days to see if he'll recover. ``He's walking pretty good,'' Showalter said. ``There's not a whole lot of swelling.'' ... 1B Mark Teixeira moved ahead of Ruben Sierra for second place on the Rangers' career list of consecutive games played with 326 on Saturday. The mark is also the second-longest currently in the majors behind first place Miguel Tejada (961). ... The Rangers will make up one of the two rainouts from last week in Boston in a split doubleheader on June 10.

HOUSTON: Astros reliever Russ Springer, who had been with his wife while she recovered from surgery since Tuesday night after hitting Barry Bonds with a pitch, was back in Houston on Saturday. The 16-year veteran, who was suspended four games for the incident, said he didn't like the spotlight that came with his plunking of Bonds. ``I've never liked publicity,'' Springer said. ``Obviously I got a little here and it's a little uncomfortable. I like being the guy nobody knows in the bullpen. Hopefully since Barry hit his homer today I can get back into my anonymous lifestyle.'' ... Brad Lidge was glad to return to his position as closer in Houston's 5-3 win on Friday night. He hadn't recorded a save since May 4 after being temporarily removed from the spot following early season struggles, but retired three batters in the ninth on Friday. ``I was not happy with not being in the closer's role,'' he said. ``I was real happy to get an opportunity as early as I did and I was real happy with the result.''

---

---

ST. LOUIS: RHP Sidney Ponson, who went on the 15-day DL May 9 with an elbow strain, is scheduled to throw a simulated game on Monday, which is the next step in returning to the rotation. Ponson has been throwing primarily fastballs in his bullpen sessions, but manager Tony La Russa said if he wants to pitch in games, he has ``got to throw something besides fastballs.'' Ponson was 3-0 with a 2.81 ERA in six starts before the injury. ... Since 1997, when interleague play began, Cardinals designated hitters have a .314 average with 11 home runs and 51 RBIs.

KANSAS CITY: SS Angel Berroa, who was in 0-for-15 skid to drop his average to .238, was not in the starting lineup for the first time this season, as he was replaced by Andres Blanco, who was promoted Friday from Triple-A Omaha. ``We need to give Angel a day off, not so much to give his body a day off, but his mind as well,'' manager Buddy Bell said. ... RHP Mike MacDougal, who went on the DL in spring training with a right shoulder strain, threw off a flat surface on Saturday. He is scheduled to throw off the mound next Saturday for the first time since the injury. Bell said MacDougal is on target to return in early July. ... The Royals have only three wins from their starting pitchers in the first 40 games.

---

---

TORONTO: Right-hander Ty Taubenheim made his major league debut Saturday night and surrendered a 402-foot homer to the second batter he faced, Garrett Atkins. Taubenheim, who didn't allow more than one run in seven of his eight starts at Triple-A Syracuse, joined the team Friday night to get a look at the Rockies' hitters. ``I don't know them, but they don't know me, either,'' he said. ... The Blue Jays will end their 10-game trip Sunday at Coors Field. Their travels through Tampa, Los Angeles and Denver covered 5,494 miles.

COLORADO: The Rockies must make a decision soon on RHP Sun-Woo Kim (bruised right shin) who has had two solid rehab starts at Colorado Springs but could find it hard to crack the rotation in Denver. He's been on the DL since April 15. ... It's still early, but manager Clint Hurdle said four of his players deserve strong All-Star consideration: pitchers Aaron Cook and Brian Fuentes and outfielders Brad Hawpe and Matt Holliday. ``In my eyes, Hawpe has been the best right fielder in baseball,'' Hurdle said.

---

---

SAN FRANCISCO: Jason Ellison finally made his first start of the season for the Giants, in LF. His teammates had a little fun with it, too, subbing his name on the lineup with ``Sweets.'' Sweets is Greg Oliver, Barry Bonds' trainer. ``Everything is perfect for him to get in there,'' manager Felipe Alou said. ... 1B Lance Niekro was expected to return Saturday from a right shoulder injury, but sat out again after having trouble Friday. ``Hitting and throwing didn't go too well,'' Niekro said. ... Closer Armando Benitez blew his second save of the season, but picked up the win in the 10th. He was scheduled to pitch Saturday regardless of the score.

OAKLAND: The A's starting pitchers are 5-0 over the last six games after Brad Halsey's strong effort against the Giants. They've allowed two runs or fewer in each of those games, lowering their collective ERA to 1.23. ... RHP reliever Jay Witasick, on the 15-day DL since April 14 with a severely sprained left ankle, will not make the A's upcoming seven-game road trip to Chicago and Texas. He expects to be sent to Arizona for rehab for the week then likely be close to starting a rehab assignment. ``I'm getting really close,'' he said. ``We're strengthening it up.'' Witasick threw his third bullpen Saturday. ... 1B Dan Johnson, who had two hits Saturday, is batting .333 during his five-game hitting streak.

---

---

ANGELS: RHP Bartolo Colon, last year's AL Cy Young Award winner, threw off a mound for the first time since going on the DL April 19 because of inflammation in his pitching shoulder. He'll pitch in a simulated game Tuesday, and might work in a minor league game next weekend if there are not setbacks. Colon, a 21-game winner last season, is 0-2 with a 7.07 ERA in three starts. ... The Angels placed INF Edgardo Alfonzo on waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release, and recalled RHP Jason Bulger from Triple-A Salt Lake. Bulger allowed three runs in two-thirds of an inning in his debut with the team. ... INF Erick Aybar made his first big league start and got his first hits - singles in the fourth and sixth innings.

DODGERS: Manager Grady Little faces a dilemma when C Dioner Navarro (injured right wrist) is ready to come off the DL because Russell Martin has played so well in his absence, both offensively and defensively. ``As we sit here right now, I don't know how in the world you ever could,'' Little replied when asked if the 23-year-old Martin would return to the minors. ... Little said closer Eric Gagne, who pitched batting practice Friday, will throw another session Monday. ``Then we're going to look to send him to the minors for a couple games,'' Little said. ``From what we saw out there (Friday), it will be short.'' Gagne had surgery to remove a nerve from his pitching elbow last month and hopes to return around June 1. ... The Dodgers scored the final seven runs Saturday for an 8-4 victory over the Angels, marking the first time this season they rallied from a three-run deficit to win.

---

---

SAN DIEGO: Manager Bruce Bochy again took advantage of playing in an AL park and gave 37-year-old C Mike Piazza a second consecutive start at DH. ``We said before the season he'd get more days off than he's accustomed to,'' Bochy said. Last July with the Mets, Piazza became the 26th major league player to catch 1,500 games. Bochy said Piazza will ``roughly'' remain on the same rest schedule he's had so far in his first season with the team. Piazza had started 27 of the first 41 games at C. ``If he catches three days, he'll get a day off. He'll get two days off occasionally,'' Bochy said. ``A lot depends on Mike. I will always check with him.'' Piazza hit his fifth home run on Friday and entered Saturday batting .257 ... Two reasons Bochy doesn't mind resting Pizza: Josh Bard and Rob Bowen. Bard, who started again at C on Saturday, was hitting .360 (9-for-25) in 10 games and five starts since being acquired from Boston in the Doug Mirabelli trade on May 1. Bowen, claimed off waivers from Detroit on April 3, was 10-for-23 (.435) before he went on the DL May 12 with a sprained left thumb. ``I told Mike we've got two other catchers who could be everyday catchers somewhere else, that's how good we think they are,'' said Bochy, a former major league catcher. ``It's a nice commodity.''

SEATTLE: Mike Morse returned to the Mariners when they designated veteran OF Matt Lawton for assignment. Morse looked like a rising prospect last season when he hit .278 (3rd among AL rookies) in 72 games. But this spring, the former shortstop struggled as the Mariners tried him at 1B, 3B, SS and LF. He acknowledged he may have pressed too much. But after playing all four of those positions - plus DH - and getting hot recently at Triple-A Tacoma, Morse got the call for a much-needed righty batting infielder off the Mariners' bench. ``I loved it,'' Morse said of playing everywhere in Tacoma. ``I never saw the game this way. Everyday was different. It was pretty cool.'' ... RHP Julio Mateo (shoulder tendinitis) arrived off the 15-day DL, and RHP Emiliano Fruto was optioned back to Tacoma. Mateo has a 7.11 ERA in nine games. ... INF/OF Willie Bloomquist was available Saturday, after missing one game with a sore left hand. Bloomquist was hit by a pitch in Oakland on Thursday.