No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Pelfrey

Holy batting practice.

I've said it before Met fans: how do you follow this gutless, heartless team? Collins goes nuts in the press conference last night and this is how they respond?

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30318

If it were only that easy to turn it on when they wanted to. They just aren't good, and no amount of yelling is going to change that.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

pay for performance and you'll see a major change

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by thebestthereis View Post
    pay for performance and you'll see a major change
    I agree with this to a certain extent.

If I owned an MLB team, I'd follow the Florida Marlins model. They put a lot of effort into scouting and make sure they always have young talent. Then when the young talent gets to the point where they are in line for a big, guaranteed contract, you trade them for more prospects. Mix in a few veterans who provide the leadership, and it's amazing how successful you can be.

The Cubs and Mets are basically the exact opposite of this. They have a bunch of has-been rotting carcasses who are making tens of millions of dollars and really don't give a shit either way. Do you think Mets like Beltran, Wright and others with monster contracts actually care if they win or lose at this point in their careers?

BrigadierPudding
    Update your status
    BrigadierPudding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1809

I like the Marlins model too, but the one mistake they made was trading Miggy. They traded one of the three best hitters in baseball just entering his prime for Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin. He's the type of player you pay.

Dumping Uggla looks smarter by the day.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by BrigadierPudding View Post
    I like the Marlins model too, but the one mistake they made was trading Miggy. They traded one of the three best hitters in baseball just entering his prime for Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin. He's the type of player you pay.
    Agree.

As a Tiger fan, we raped them on that deal -- even with Dontrelle being a bust. I could tell Miller was destined for nothing. Still think Maybin can be a decent MLB outfielder, but that's about it.

With that being said, Miggy was in line for a huge contract and that just isn't the Marlins' style.