Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

The WTF line of the day

I am posting here a line that is way off of my model line. Most of the days I find a line so off that I believe my model is broken. But it still give the correct line in 80% of the games, so there has to be another explanation.

For example, yesterday LAD - CWS. The line was +144 / -154, while my model said it was a pick'em game. Both teams have about the same power rating; Lilly has been a solid starter for years, while Humber is an untested starter (40 unremarkable IP in MLB last 4 years, converted to starter this year with mixed success in 45 IP). So, the starter advantage more or less compensated the HFA. So, why was White Sox so heavy favorite?

The WTF line of today is TB - FLA. In team power ratings TB has a very small advantage (.530 vs .527). The issue is the starter. Price is a quality starter, while Vazquez is projected as average. I guess the line is influenced by Vazquez bad numbers this season, but 37 IP should not weigh so heavily in the big picture. Besides, most of the advantage should be neutralized by the HFA, so my model says TB is barely favored. But the line is -156 / +147. Could someone explain?

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

Whose hitting hotter right now?

VicVega91
    VicVega91's Avatar Become A Pro!

best of luck with the Marlins today !!

kernssca
    kernssca's Avatar Become A Pro!

I see TB being the hotter more consistant team, the line may be a little off but TB is definately a good play in my opinion

greva
    Update your status
    greva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

I already locked my play in on FLA earlier..

Think is has some value!

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Public perception.

Books can get away with this type of line B/c bettors will side with Tampa no matter the Price, no pun intended.

5 minutes worth of handicapping reveals that the Marlins are better against Lefties, than Righties.

I am on the Marlins myself. I will have fun watching Price being the 3rd out multiple times, with bases loaded.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Over is the play here.

I'd love to back Price because Vaz flat-out blows. No play on the side, but I definitely wouldn't lay that kind of road chalk. I think there will be plenty of runs scored.

pacocn
    pacocn's Avatar Become A Pro!

how about tampa -1.5 at +110,
    I could see Vaz can getting lit up

jim
    jim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2362

the american league has dominated interleague play over the years, pretty well all their lines are inflated.

not to mention ''chase'' bettors going for one win on the al side.

------------------------------------------------------------------

no points for you, jobu! - sbr management

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

line is about right, with obvious shading towards tampa because of price, their road record and vasqueline sucking so bad. marlins +150 at home is the only way to look at this game. to me a decent bet might be marlins and over, two bets. marlins can hit, have been getting guys on base, and one clutch hit gives them 4 runs in this game. marlins muster 4 runs you cannot lose money. good luck!

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Vazquez is projected as average. I guess the line is influenced by Vazquez bad numbers this season, but 37 IP should not weigh so heavily in the big picture.
    Small picture or big, the guy sucks and really has no business being in baseball.

He's given up 135 runs and 206 hits in his last 196 IP. Pitching for good teams.

Just awful.

keel44
    Update your status
    keel44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12276

Simple. The public loves David Price and HATES Vazquez.

Bswitz32
    Update your status
    Bswitz32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 364

I dont know if only the public hates Vazquez!

I am looking Over for this one....the Marlins won last night and the Rays are the hotter team so just go over and call it a day

BOL