bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lima time for the mets sunday

Jose Lima will get the start on sunday for the mets

Lima time: Mets call up veteran right-handerAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- The New York Mets placed pitcher John Maine on the disabled list with an inflammation of his right middle finger Saturday and promoted reliever Bartolome Fortunato from Triple-A Norfolk.

The team also said veteran Jose Lima would be called up to start Sunday's game against Atlanta, taking Maine's place. The team will make another roster move to make room for Lima.

Fortunato appeared in 15 games with the Mets in 2004 but missed all of last season with a lower back strain. He reported in time for Saturday's game against the Braves.

Lima signed as a free agent with the Mets before spring training. He was 5-16 last season with Kansas City and has a lifetime major league record of 89-98 with the Royals, Houston, Detroit and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"He'll help us as needed," manager Willie Randolph said. "Lima's been in the league. You hope he'll come in, locate his pitches and work a little Lima magic."

Maine was injured Tuesday night as he warmed up for his first start with the Mets against Washington.

"It happened on the last curveball I threw," he said. "I felt something pop."

Maine said he threw only one more curve during the game. He worked into the sixth inning, allowing six hits and four runs.

"It's disappointing," Maine said. "I've never been hurt before. I want to pitch. This was an opportunity for me."

The Mets had called up Maine to replace rookie Brian Bannister, who went on the DL with a strained hamstring.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Does anybody have a link to that Sportscenter piece a few years ago where they called Lima "the worst player in the history of baseball" Do you guys remember that show?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i don't remember that one owned.