iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Hanley Ramirez is No Longer a Shortstop...

Move him to 3rd already..

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Totally correct. Has anyone tested the dude lately? Looking beefy. His glove antics are killing me tonight

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

According to UZR, he's never been a good SS. In his 5 years, he's been average in two, and the other 3, he's been much worse than average.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

As thick as he is, he'll be at a corner IF spot before too long.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

What is UZR?

Do you think defense is overrated? I heard a stat that said a very good outfielder has the opportunity to turn a non-catch into a catch maybe once every 4 games. Think about the old addage that the best players "make it look routine". They get a good read on the ball and make plays. Sometimes the guys making diving catches have to do so because they read the ball poorly.

With that said not only could Jim Edmonds "make it look routine", but the guy could also make highlight reel catches.

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!
    LVBOUND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 119

I love my Margins but Damm their defense and closer are hard to watch.

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Just got thrown out stealing second, was not even close, this guy is a joke.

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!

That was fukkkkkkkkkkkking ugly. Lazy ass Hanley

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    What is UZR?
    http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/defense/uzr/

Can't wait for Field F/X, which will complete the holy grail of sabermetrics (defensive stats).

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

Quote Originally Posted by dfberger23 View Post
    Just got thrown out stealing second, was not even close, this guy is a joke.
    berger i watched that play on tv and it was a pitch out

C-Gold

Brett Gardner is the best fielder and Matt Kemp is the worst?

Funny how losing Johnny Damon's bat was going to be a huge loss for the yankees while the experts ignored he throws like a girl and can't field.

Funny how Matt Kemp is a "5 tool" player but is the worst fielder in the league. The media just loves hyping up black baseball players because the major leagues is getting less and less of them.

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6495

hanley will still fukk up at 3rd

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

What is UZR? Do you think defense is overrated? I heard a stat that said a very good outfielder has the opportunity to turn a non-catch into a catch maybe once every 4 games. Think about the old addage that the best players "make it look routine". They get a good read on the ball and make plays. Sometimes the guys making diving catches have to do so because they read the ball poorly. With that said not only could Jim Edmonds "make it look routine", but the guy could also make highlight reel catches.
    if that stat is the same for every position then that's 2.25 plays per game so yeah that's a big deal

where does it say he got moved to 3rd? box score says ss

C-Gold

Yeah but if the average fielder is making 2.25 plays per game, how many more plays are good fielders making than average fielders. If it's 1 every 4 games then is that really worth it? Would you sacrafice hitting for the chance ( not lock) of 1 extra play an auto average fielder can make?

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!

Ill tell you guys a Hanley story. 2 Spring trainings ago he was ,my favorite player. So when he was in town (Jupiter) for spring training, I ended up hanging out with him in Abacoa right next to Roger Dean Stadium. An friend of mine a cop in Jupiter was very good friends with Hanley. When I met him, the first thing I noticed was his English was beyond poor. Then as I began to talk to him I could tell #1 he didnt have any desire to talk about Baseball. I kinda understood that, but then when it did come up he had no about past or current players. I mentioned Eric Davis and he had no idea who I was talking about LOL. He also was cocky and ignorant. My friend was so on his nuts, it was crazy. I mean the girls that flocked to him were sick, but he was stupid with some of his requests to the girls and comments.

He told my friend he was going for his third threesome in 3 nights???? Really is it like that? Guy seemed to careless about the game (which hurt being a fan like I am) and the people around him. Did I mention he tipped 10 on a 150 tab, where we got a hook up to start with.

Just a joke.

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Does he have the "Bonds Big Head" syndrome?

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!

No really just an uneducated idiot, who doesnt care

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Yeah but if the average fielder is making 2.25 plays per game, how many more plays are good fielders making than average fielders. If it's 1 every 4 games then is that really worth it? Would you sacrafice hitting for the chance ( not lock) of 1 extra play an auto average fielder can make?
    No what I'm saying is that there are 9 guys on the field....1 extra play made per 4 games for every player on the field = 2.25 extra plays made for the team per game

a lot of variables depending on the make up of a team....a team with great pitching can probably mask some of those plays that aren't made....i dont think you can make a lineup of hitters that are good enough (whether due to salary restrictions or pool of available player limitations) to make up the difference on offense on a consistent basis and of course some great offensive players are excellent defensive players too so it's not quite black and white

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO

Brett Gardner is the best fielder and Matt Kemp is the worst?

Funny how losing Johnny Damon's bat was going to be a huge loss for the yankees while the experts ignored he throws like a girl and can't field.

Funny how Matt Kemp is a "5 tool" player but is the worst fielder in the league. The media just loves hyping up black baseball players because the major leagues is getting less and less of them.
    Yup, these statistics hate Matt Kemp's defense. Sure he's super athletic and can make some highlight reel plays...

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO

He has a good arm but he's pretty large for a SS. He will definitely be moved off SS to 3B, I think.

GOB
    GOB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3770

Quote Originally Posted by LVBOUND View Post
    No really just an uneducated idiot, who doesnt care
    It was definitely clear that he didn't care when he was jogging after that ball that he kicked down the line last year. Definitely not a shortstop anymore either. He's lazy and is getting too big physically for the position. His range is shrinking year after year.

oChRoNiCo
    DON'T TALK ABOUT IT, BE ABOUT IT SON!
    oChRoNiCo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12049

damn what is up with all the hateration of Han Ram here he is one of the best players in the majors. However I will tell you the next great shortstop is Manny Machado for Baltimore he is going to be a BEAST just like Han-Ram!

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!

I fukking Love The O's They are so dangerous and not to be underestimated.

Jnas
    Jnas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8549

definately needs to move to 3rd.

HotStreak
    Smokin'
    HotStreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 901

Put the bats in the line up. Good defenders are for late inning replacements unless they can hit. Just look at the Mariners and their great defense. Hows that working out?

HotStreak
    Smokin'

Also. Your #1 defender is your pitcher.

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ill tell you guys a Hanley story. 2 Spring trainings ago he was ,my favorite player. So when he was in town (Jupiter) for spring training, I ended up hanging out with him in Abacoa right next to Roger Dean Stadium. An friend of mine a cop in Jupiter was very good friends with Hanley. When I met him, the first thing I noticed was his English was beyond poor. Then as I began to talk to him I could tell #1 he didnt have any desire to talk about Baseball. I kinda understood that, but then when it did come up he had no about past or current players. I mentioned Eric Davis and he had no idea who I was talking about LOL. He also was cocky and ignorant. My friend was so on his nuts, it was crazy. I mean the girls that flocked to him were sick, but he was stupid with some of his requests to the girls and comments. He told my friend he was going for his third threesome in 3 nights???? Really is it like that? Guy seemed to careless about the game (which hurt being a fan like I am) and the people around him. Did I mention he tipped 10 on a 150 tab, where we got a hook up to start with. Just a joke.
    Haha nice story. Guy seems like a douchy prick, but I think I might respect him more now...

billyboy73
    billyboy73's Avatar Become A Pro!

He really ****** me last night on my bets, I had the Marlins and the under large.

HotStreak
    Smokin'

blackeyeshamus
    swampdog stomp!
    blackeyeshamus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2224

Ill tell you guys a Hanley story. 2 Spring trainings ago he was ,my favorite player. So when he was in town (Jupiter) for spring training, I ended up hanging out with him in Abacoa right next to Roger Dean Stadium. An friend of mine a cop in Jupiter was very good friends with Hanley. When I met him, the first thing I noticed was his English was beyond poor. Then as I began to talk to him I could tell #1 he didnt have any desire to talk about Baseball. I kinda understood that, but then when it did come up he had no about past or current players. I mentioned Eric Davis and he had no idea who I was talking about LOL. He also was cocky and ignorant. My friend was so on his nuts, it was crazy. I mean the girls that flocked to him were sick, but he was stupid with some of his requests to the girls and comments.

He told my friend he was going for his third threesome in 3 nights???? Really is it like that? Guy seemed to careless about the game (which hurt being a fan like I am) and the people around him. Did I mention he tipped 10 on a 150 tab, where we got a hook up to start with.

Just a joke.
    totally disrespectful to johnson, who pitches lights out through six, only to have ramirez throw the game, and cost me a nickel. doesn't surprise me at all about him acting the fool up in jupiter. I attend quite a few marlins games, and if I get my shot to smooth him out with some straight talk express, I will certainly take it! he dogs it on the infield, and his batting has been uninspired (at best).

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

what do you expect?? they paid him 88 million for his bat not the glove...it has improved over the years but he remains awful in regards to the other natural SS in the league, he's got a cannon so 3rd could work, but he can barely make clean throws from ss when he has time, and you think he can get it done at the hot corner...nope....

improving the D was the point they preached ALL OFF SEASON yet this team has had an error every game and 2 on several occasions and we're only in the 7th fuckin game!.....the pen seems a bit better minus the 1 leo blow up which was further destroyed by ryan webb.....i like that dunn kid, has a cannon but has control problems once in a while...best arm in the pen is brian sanches and that's been the case now for ATLEAST 2 years....

plus everyone is already injured...hopefully coghlan stays healthy and same goes w stanton who has the stupid hammy which could last all year.....as after those 2 are we really gonna have to settle for bonisuckio playing RF like he did last night??? HE IS SIMPLY TERRIBLE in EVERY ASPECT of the game, but they say he's so fast YET it doesnt matter as he's NEVER ON BASE!

COME ON FISH...JUST GET IT DONE THIS YEAR AND MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS...AND NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS THIS YEAR, ONCE WE'RE IN THE NEW PARK NEXT YEAR...I WANT THAT PAYROLL UP TO ATLEAST $75 MILLION....ya cheap **** loria!

and hopefully we get ozzie next year as that is EXACTLY what this team needs, a pyscho who will whip some ass and doesn't care if you don't liek him, he just wants to win..i think bobby v woulda been a great pick up too...plus ozzie would bring cooper and he could finally get FULL RESULTS from our staff and pen, as edwin knows jack shit and st.claire is awful too...last night showed again why as jj goes 6 innings again and gets another ND....does he ever throw 8 innings anymore?? and don't say well his pitch count...thats all bullshit, ask nolan ryan
    Last edited by FrozenMAN; 04-08-11 at 05:39 PM.

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love Hanley. Great player, fun to watch.

Betting Guru
    Bookie Busting!
    Betting Guru's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

I agree that he needs to be somewhere other than SS. He doesn't have what it takes to be a gold glove SS.

GOB
    GOB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3770

Quote Originally Posted by The Bet Master View Post
    I love Hanley. Great player, fun to watch.
    He certainly is a great player, but I think he's extremely frustrating to watch. So much talent, so little desire.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

if he moves then he loses all his fantasy value. not a good idea for fantasy players

12 Last