yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by daggerkobe View Post

Man-Ram 50%
    Ryan Howard 51%
    Josh Hamilton 55%
    Jim Thome 53%
    Delgado 49%

40% of his ABs come with runners on. 39% of his homers come with runners on. Figure it out.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by louisvillekid View Post
    now about A.J., being a Braves fan i got to defend him , just a little. yes, he has went to shit since he went to LAD, but he has had injuries and yes the Dodgers were stupid to give that much to someone at the downside of their peak in their career. He put up great numbers in ATL and was a gold glove center fielder, he was always getting guys out, making spectacular catches and throws. He was a clutch hitter, good base stealer. his across the board stats for his years in ATL could rival any top player for that span.
    what's your point? He was mostly a very good player until he got the big contract. Now he's injured and shit.

BadBeatBodog
    BadBeatBodog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by daggerkobe View Post

Man-Ram 50%
    Ryan Howard 51%
    Josh Hamilton 55%
    Jim Thome 53%
    Delgado 49%

Where can you see these numbers? How have those players done in past years? I ask because it is my opinion that hitting home runs with runners on base is not a skill, similar to a high average with runners in scoring position.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Wow, I never expected to see some logic in one of these threads. Good work Element and BadBeatBodog. Unfortunately there are still a lot of people out there who say OMG strikeouts and freak out about meaningless small sample size stats like anything to do with RISP.

He's not the best player in the league, but he's a pretty damn good player.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeatBodog View Post
    Where can you see these numbers? How have those players done in past years? I ask because it is my opinion that hitting home runs with runners on base is not a skill, similar to a high average with runners in scoring position.
    Do you believe there is no such thing as a good clutch hitter?

BadBeatBodog
    BadBeatBodog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    This is a tricky thing in baseball. Clutch hitting IS a skill, but it is rarely reproduced in baseball and is about as important as base running. If you look at key 'clutch stats' you will find there is little to no consistency among players.

Refer to my posts in this thread:

"http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstat...on=DESC&page=1

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/st...ossary/#clutch

As the definition says, that's just one way of looking at 'clutch.' 'Clutch' in baseball probably exists, but it's more of a year-to-year thing than a skill, and it matters about as much as base-running.

BA/RISP regresses just like BAbip does, i.e. if a player has a very high BA/RISP one year it will probably drop the next.

Only three players Blalock, Teixeira, and G. Anderson have appeared in the top five more than once since 2004 (as far back as the stat goes), and it was only twice each."

"To further drive home the point that clutch is not really a consistent skill set, ARod is last in that clutch stat I showed this year. Last year he was fifth best.

Want more proof? David Ortiz, widely considered one of the 'clutchiest' players in MLB, was 11th best in 2004, 33rd best in 2005, 17th worst in 2006, and 40th best in 2007 (he doesn't qualify for this year)."

There are numerous excellent articles on the subject.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Not really. Studies have been done showing it doesn't really exist. It's more down to small sample sizes than anything.

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Moving on up the all time list:
    Dunn's homer was his 374th, tying Rocky Colavito for 69th on the career list.

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Dunn breaking records;

Dunn has 220 strikeouts, three away from the major league record set by Mark Reynolds with Arizona in 2009

First 12