Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Depressing news...

It looks like the league is operating much more cheaply than in years past regarding player salaries (but still charging the fans just as much). If the below story is true, this league is DOA.

http://www.asylum.com/2010/03/01/jer...eagues-return/

The Arena Football League enjoyed a 22-year run as the NFL's little cousin until, following the 2008 season and spurred on by the recession, the indoor, shortened-field version of the game packed it in. Now it's planning a triumphant return, giving many of the players something that's in short supply these days: jobs. But as we discovered, not all of them are so psyched that the AFL is back.

What we found out is that the resurrected AFL is less of a phoenix and more of a vampire. We spoke to Jeremy Unertl, a five-year veteran of the league and former All-Arena defensive back, who also spent time with the Green Bay Packers, the Baltimore Ravens and the UFL's California Redwoods, about the realities of being an Arena Football League player, and why the new league is thirsty for blood.

"Hearing the AFL was coming back, I had a mixed reaction," Unertl tells us. "I love arena football, but the capacity in which it's coming back is a joke. The average fan just knows that the teams are back -- and they got to keep the names, which is a huge deal for their marketing -- but the players know differently. The league is a shadow of its former existence.

"A lot of guys took a lot of pride in the league," he goes on. "You could make a good living, perfect your craft. We felt a lot of ownership of the league."

So how good is a "good living," and how bad is it now? Unertl warns us that we'll be shocked.

"The numbers are unbelievable. My last year in the AFL, I made $140,000. This year, they're offering $400 a game." He went on to explain that in the new league, players are all offered the same salary -- each team works on that $400 flat pay scale, which means that for a 16-game season, the average AFL player is going to take home a whopping $6,400 a year.

But what about the above-average AFL star?

"Each team gets three franchise tags. Those guys get $1,000 a game," Unertl explains, before mentioning that he's been offered a franchise deal that he's deeply conflicted about accepting. "I'm supposed to play for $16,000 a year? The risk/reward thing is hard to deal with. If you've never been injured, maybe it's different, but it's a brutal game."

It's hard to imagine a high-quality football game being played by guys who make $6,400 a year for their work on the field -- if for no other reason than we reckon that even Peyton Manning would look a little wobbly out there if he had to spend forty hours a week at Radio Shack during the season. So would Unertl describe the new AFL as more of a hobby league? "Most definitely," he says. "A lot of these guys are local, they work day jobs, and they practice at night."

One person who disagrees with that assessment, however, is Jerry Kurz, the new AFL's commissioner.

"Not true!" he insists when asked if the lower salary means that the product on the field is going to be sub-par. "Look at Division I NCAA football. Those kids go to school during the year, right? They're busy, and they still turn in a pretty high-quality product. " He also adds that, while the base salary is low, the league also provides housing and meals, in addition to the salary -- so theoretically, a savvy player could squirrel away his $6,400 until the season's over.

Ultimately, Kurz counters Unertl. "If a player says they can't live on that wage, why are they playing? If they say they can't, with housing and food covered, they need to move on with their life."

Which is exactly what Unertl is considering: He's expecting an offer from the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts, as well as the offer of a higher-paying franchise opportunity with the AFL's Spokane Shock, a small-market team that would allow him the opportunity to pursue some work with his finance degree, and build a resume that doesn't involve football.

"I'm 31 years old," he says. "I need to start thinking about what's next." Still, like the young players he admonishes, he admits that there's still a pull to get back on the field. "Once you're in it, you just want to play and have fun. I'll probably play this year."

waco66
    Canucks -1.5
    waco66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

wow. that is sad.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's somewhat of a throwback to another era, but that era produced plenty of great athletes. Then again, maybe they could move straight on to prison inmates, and call them gladiators.

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

damn... those are af2 numbers.

that sucks.

dcb11
    dcb11's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is maybe a way to get the league back on its feet as Im sure down the road it will be like it used to be or maybe not, Hmmm may hurt players decisions on playing or not as that is a HUGE difference in salary.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1545

So what your saying is, players will be more likely betting their own games?

Watch out for those crazy line moves.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

$400 a game.

Jeez a dishwasher at Taco Bell makes more than that.

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

the local AFL2 team here last yr was paying something like $250 a game per player and $350 a game if they won.
    I dont think it had much impact on how hard most of them played. IMO their not in it for the money but rather playing on dreams of making it to the big leagues still.
    the players got free meals throughout the week from resturants that sponsered the team.

Now we've got some backwoods league taking their place since no more AFL2

cappinthepigs
    cappinthepigs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

There are some cheapscates around, thats' for sure.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Jerry Kurz is a typical high up businessman that is buried in the numbers and spreadsheets. He is so far removed from his product it's ridiculous.

"Not true!" he insists when asked if the lower salary means that the product on the field is going to be sub-par. "Look at Division I NCAA football. Those kids go to school during the year, right? They're busy, and they still turn in a pretty high-quality product. " He also adds that, while the base salary is low, the league also provides housing and meals, in addition to the salary -- so theoretically, a savvy player could squirrel away his $6,400 until the season's over.
    That must be one of the poorest justifications for something I've ever heard.

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

lol $6400 for a season? Wow

Leverage
    HURR DERP DEEP DURP
    Leverage's Avatar Become A Pro!

They are keeping the same financial model as the af2, which I have mixed feelings about. My reaction right now is a combination of +. I'm going to take a wait and see approach to this. The player union dissolved after the league folded so I can see how this is happening, but at the same time the nfl network thing is a big deal. Guess its time to go back to working on the NHL probability map and black box model...

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

you wanna hear depressing news? i just found out my ex got engaged recently. for years i wanted to fukk her one last time and do shit i never got to do. now i'll have to wait till she's divorced in 5 years and 50lbs heavier.

Dutzbot5000
    Use your JORTS
    Dutzbot5000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 227

I guess they just don't get the marketing crowd that other major sports get.

blanda
    blanda's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 580

This league will be done for good in two years.

julio_cat
    julio_cat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Justin I have a question: what happens to medical insurance/services for the players?
    A concussion or a broken bone can be more expensive than the year salary.

dcb11
    dcb11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by julio_cat View Post
    Justin I have a question: what happens to medical insurance/services for the players?
    A concussion or a broken bone can be more expensive than the year salary.
    I pretty sure the team will cover this

Justin7

No idea. There's probably health and disability coverage though (considering they are getting paid peanuts).

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I believe the above financial arrangement was in place before they brought in NFL network. So it may not be final.

Leverage
    HURR DERP DEEP DURP
    Leverage's Avatar Become A Pro!

There was a guy on our team that broke his collarbone. The team covers the ambulance and ER fees but after that its all on the player. That was the af2. IDK what the new deal is but without a player association I assume its similar.

Justin7

Quote Originally Posted by Leverage View Post
    There was a guy on our team that broke his collarbone. The team covers the ambulance and ER fees but after that its all on the player. That was the af2. IDK what the new deal is but without a player association I assume its similar.
    wow, that's crazy. No worker's comp? Or aftercare?

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

brutal

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Poor quality will do in the league, they might as well fold. The only players they will get are players trying to re-live their high school days.

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

WOW

Cappy
    Cappy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 880

Yeah, I don't see how this can work in a money making way if you pay your players so little.

It seems ridiculous

knightof7
    knightof7's Avatar Become A Pro!

$6400 a season maybe a reasonable amount for a kicker...but any other position player deserves more than that

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33480

Well, AFL went bankrupt under the old pay structure, so something had to change. $400 a game does seem pretty low, though. I think a better model would be to start at $400 and add incentives based on performance and attendance.

julio_cat
    julio_cat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Wow, sad indeed.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

lines out

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

games start TOMORROW! this snuck on me like crazy!

need some lines on sbrodds too! let's get this party started!

ojs69
    ojs69's Avatar Become A Pro!

chi-2
    iowa

milwaukee pk
    spokane pk

fri nite games

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Its fair to say that these Arena football players are being underpaid.

However, the degree that they are being underpaid isn't anywhere near the degree that players in the NBA, MLB, NFL are overpaid.

The fact that these Arena players are being so poorly paid will make the games FAR MORE COMPETITIVE NOT less competitive.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

I've had more money at risk in one day then what the average AFL player is making in a year. Scary.

ijrod21i
    ijrod21i's Avatar Become A Pro!

Some of these guys are playing for the chance to play in the NFL, too. That can be some incentive to play in the league but they're getting paid soo little that I don't see how the performance won't dwindle.

cracho
    cracho's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ojs69 View Post
    chi-2 iowa milwaukee pk spokane pk fri nite games

12 Last