jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Tennis Betting IS So Big Now..Players Get Death Threats Daily On Twitter

Today’s top tennis players blame the rise of gambling for the increase in cyber-bullying, saying they constantly receive death threats and are helpless as big gambling companies snatch up huge sponsorship deals throughout the sport.
    A number of women’s players, including Madison Keys, Nicole Gibbs and Eugenie Bouchard, shared their online-troll experiences with CNN.
    “I don’t think people realize,” Keys told the network. “For all these matches, we get death threats.”
    Late last year, the budding American star posted on Instagram a confrontation with a troll, who relentlessly lobbed slurs and derogatory comments at Keys, calling her a “monkey” and saying she’s the “cancer of tennis.”
    “The amount of abuse we get after losing a match is ridiculous,” Keys said in the post, which featured several screen grabs of the troll who commented on over a dozen pictures. “As if we’re not trying as hard as we can to win matches. Maybe stop betting on tennis matches so you can just enjoy good tennis.”

Male tennis players such as Australian Sam Groth and American Taylor Fritz also acknowledged they’ve received abuse on Twitter.
    “Sad this has become the norm for everyone…win or lose,” Fritz tweeted in response to another player’s tweet about trolls.
    In 2015, gambling companies confirmed multi-year sponsorship deals with the International Tennis Federation’s biggest events such as the Davis Cup, Fed Cup and this month’s Australian Open, which created an uncomfortable dilemma within the tennis world. Players told CNN the deals with Betway and William Hill, which now endorses the Australian Open, are encouraging tennis gambling.
    “The irony is not lost on me,” said American Nicole Gibbs, who upset No. 25-ranked Timea Babos in the first round of the Australian Open. “It’s unsettling, to say the least. But what can you do? If those are the sponsors that pay big money, then I’d rather have a job than not.”

Follow

Nicole Gibbs
    @Gibbsyyyy

Warning: not suitable for children. Or anyone, really. This stuff is seriously an epidemic...
    7:35 AM - 18 Oct 2016 · Moscow, Russia

Like Keys, Gibbs posted screen grabs last year of abusive tweets she received following a straight-sets loss in the first round of the 2016 Moscow Open. Trolls berated her and even told her to “kill yourself.”
    Gibbs told The Australian last year that playing in front of signs of betting-company sponsorships is “unsettling.”
    “It is really disturbing to me,” Gibbs said. “When I go to a tennis tournament and it is sponsored by one of these betting sites that I know my social media traffic is coming from after I take a bad loss.”
    Things are starting to turn. Tennis Australia announced it would no longer offer William Hill on-court sponsorship at the Australian Open, and the International Tennis Federation nixed a three-year deal with Betway to move away from betting sponsors.
    “Our aim is to protect players from these sorts of abuses,” ITF president Dave Haggerty said.

w@lt
    w@lt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

Sick fuks.

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

Odds that one of those twitter bullies being an SBR member -750
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: beefcake, and futbolmundial

badgerguy
    badgerguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

I've been known to blast a few tennis players on twitter. Not death threats though.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15111

No wonder tennis pros are throwing matches.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 145

Cry me a river, just don't read the comments and the problem is solved. This cyber bullying thing is funny how they let total strangers ruin their day. The people doing this are a bunch of losers, that none of these players will ever meet, yet cry about it like they are 10.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

people who have twitter accounts are losers

YoungGambler
    repetition is the father of learning
    YoungGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

Seem european cause that are toxic as hell, even in the chatrooms

rankslash
    rankslash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8734

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    people who have twitter accounts are losers
    7777Kal is on Twitter for sure...

rizespor
    rizespor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 707

I've lost my share of tennis bets, many in excruciating fashion like Watson yesterday but never felt the need to berate any of them on Twitter... The way I see it, if you can't handle losses you'll never succeed at gambling.

Irina Falconi though really tested me yesterday. Lost so much money on her. The complete lack of effort from her, fukking indescribable.

Jeff_Black
    Jeff_Black's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5068

Gambling advertising is ridiculous as it is anyway.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

The real JJ Gold doesn't post lengthy articles and screenshots etc

Swerve bro