navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

How close is Djokovic to being the greatest ever?

Not saying he's the best ever yet, but I think he's at least starting to enter the conversation. He's 3 behind Nadal and 6 behind Federer. You have to think he'll get at least 2 more now this year. Then you look at competition and he's winning many of these in the Federer-Nadal-Murray era. I love Federer to death but he won a lot of his majors in between the Sampras/Agassi and Nadal/Djokovic eras.

Step 1: He needs to win the French. Almost did it the last couple years. Needs to do it this year. Gonna be 29 this summer so you have to assume he's got about 2 years of playing in his prime left before the tires start treading. If he were to get to 15 plus the French, he'd be above Feds in my book (of course assuming Feds doesn't win any more).

Punchy
    Punchy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1380

Yep win French once, add three more grand slams to the total from Wimbledon and US Open (2+1 or 1+2 either way) to balance out the huge Australian Open total imo

FreddieUFC
    FreddieUFC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

I reckon the French Open is his for the taking this time round. Nadal will come up short again, Fed won't pose a realistic threat. Who's left? Stan played out of his skin last year but I really can't see him repeating it and Murray's least successful surface is clay. Djokovic all the way, methinks.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by FreddieUFC View Post
    I reckon the French Open is his for the taking this time round. Nadal will come up short again, Fed won't pose a realistic threat. Who's left? Stan played out of his skin last year but I really can't see him repeating it and Murray's least successful surface is clay. Djokovic all the way, methinks.
    Maybe, but he should have won it last year but put up an unusual performance out of nowhere at the French.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

okay but don't forget federer, while still the 2nd best player in the world, isn't the player he was at 28 either. he won a lot of his majors during a time without great competition, true, but i think Fed is still the best player I've ever seen. I would like to see if djokovic can do what federer is doing at 34 years old, pretty much a lock for every grand slam semi.

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

with Joker being the gate keeper for Nadal and Feds, looks like he will be the all time Major leader in a few years. He's at 11 now

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Things can change fast, real fast. But yeah, who can stop him from dominating for 2-3 more years ? Nadal with his knees, Andy his back, Roger with his age ? More importantly, will Novak finally win @RG this year ? I just hope he does not play too many clay tourneys, like he did last year.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Andy Murray will win a couple more for sure. he can play with djokovic. federer can play with djokovic for sure. nadal, i'm not so sure. nadal's best chance is the french obv. i don't think djokovic will win the french open this year... it'll be nadal or federer

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

I can play with Novak too, does not mean I will win.

RyanMozambique
    RyanMozambique's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1682

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Andy Murray will win a couple more for sure. he can play with djokovic. federer can play with djokovic for sure. nadal, i'm not so sure. nadal's best chance is the french obv. i don't think djokovic will win the french open this year... it'll be nadal or federer
    Nadal or Federer to win the French open? Oke I understand a little bit that you think Nadal is gonna win even though he will not but Federer??? The guy is taking a 3 months break after Indian Wells during the clay season. His only clay tournament will be Roland Garros with no practice. He is taking a break to focus on Wimbledon and the Olympics. So Federer winning the French Open is the same as me banging Eugenie Bouchard

SCI
    SCI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5766

It's not all about Grand Slams. Federer's consistency in his career has been unreal (On all surfaces). Most weeks at #1, Most match wins etc etc.

23 straight semis or better in GS's will pobably never be close to touched in our lifetimes.

Plus, to my eyes, Federer has the most talented skillset to ever play the game. He is a joy to watch. One of the most versitile athletes in any sport.

SCI
    SCI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5766

The game has changed in recent years. The courts are slower and now all the top players are grinders (except Fed and Wawrinka). Even Ferrer has been top 5 for the longest. 30 years ago, in different conditions, Ferrer wouldn't be top 10.

With most of the courts so slow, Tennis is now a game of "who can last the longest without spaying an error." It's no suprise that Djokovic, Murray, Nadal, Ferrer are all at the top.

Jeff_Black
    Jeff_Black's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5068

The discussion is a tough one until he completes the collection. Otherwise IMO he will be in the top 10 of all time but maybe not top 5.
    This is a big call and without a doubt Djokovic at the current moment has one of the highest if not highest tennis IQ in the ATP. I think it is the big thing in measuring his success. It was so obvious what his plan was against Murray involving shrinking the court and forcing him to hit bad shots off the wings and forcing errors off of the forehand.
    His passing shot backhand is also almost impossible to counter when it's on song, it works against federer because his backhand can break down when he's not on song. It works against Nadal because Nadal can't turn defense into attack off of his forehand from it because Djokovic hits it so deep which then makes Nadal a sitting duck for Djokovic to hammer his weaker backhand side.
    But that said compared to other players who don't have a plan b when plan a doesn't work (see Murray Nadal even fed at times) Djokovic seems to adjust the way he plays and try different things.

Chaz22
    Chaz22's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17185

Think Djoker is in his peak at the right time. If he had to battle 2010 version of Nadal and Federer he wouldnt be so dominant as Rafa would still be king of clay and Fed would beat anyone in Wimbledon. So it leaves us and ausie where most likely he would snatch the smallest share. So to answer your question - djokovic greatest ever? Absolutely not. He could probably get greatest mover in the game or the greatest error-less player in the game. Bu not much more.