Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20513

Shared Wi-Fi leading to account restriction?

I'm not a geek so don't really know, just hoping someone here does.

Recently a friend who's a pretty small time punter, almost exclusively on racing for $5, $10 or $20, was visiting our home and we were watching the tennis.

His mobile was running pretty low on credit so he logged into our Wi-Fi and was using it for a couple of hours and then decided to have a wager on Federer which he placed with Bet365. Only $20 so he won something like $30 I think it was.

A couple of days later he went to place a bet on the races and was astonished to find that he was limited to win $20! That's the same limit which they apply to my account.

Overall he's been a loser and is down something like $900 at Bet365.

Just wondering if somehow his use of my Wi-Fi even though on his phone which has never been used to access any of my accounts could be to blame? Can Bet365 have detected that and linked our accounts?
    Last edited by Hareeba!; 02-09-17 at 03:51 PM.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    I'm not a geek so don't really know, just hoping someone here does.

Recently a friend who's a pretty small time punter, almost exclusively on racing for $5, $10 or $20, was visiting our home and we were watching the tennis.

His mobile was running pretty low on credit so he logged into our Wi-Fi and was using it for a couple of hours and then decided to have a wager on Federer which he placed with Bet365. Only $20 so he won something like $30 I think it was.

A couple of days later he went to place a bet on the races and was astonished to find that he was limited to win $20! That's the same limit which they apply to my account.

Overall he's been a loser and is down something like $900 at Bet365.

Just wondering if somehow his use of my Wi-Fi even though on his phone which has never been used to access any of my accounts could be to blame? Can Bet365 have detected that and linked our accounts?
    They would almost definitely detect that automatically Hareeba. And your guess about the limits sounds correct.

Good news is it was very likely an automated detection and from what you say about the differences in account play a human review might easily see thats the case. Bad news is that if you bet the same market as him for a combined $20 or more, then chances of a reversal are probably slim anyway.

He is best to approach them cap in hand and just say you are friends and he has been told by an SBR rep that making these bets on your wifi is likely the reason for the penalty and this was an innocent error, which should be clear from his betting history, and can they please reverse the limit penalty.

They probably wont, but at least then there will be the explanation on file in case either account is flagged for anything else in the future and not just assumed to be nefarious.

Hareeba!

Thanks Optional.

I knew that sharing a device would lead to detection but didn't think Wi-Fi would have the same consequence.

It's a sad world we live in!

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    Thanks Optional.

I knew that sharing a device would lead to detection but didn't think Wi-Fi would have the same consequence.

It's a sad world we live in!
    Yeah it really does suck. People using university systems or company networks get pinged a lot.

The wifi (IP address) is a lot simpler to log and flag than the device fingerprint stuff that needs iovation type technology btw. If they do detect the same device used for both they might take stronger action than an IP match.

I'm not sure exactly what the books should do differently. As you can imagine, almost every case has a plausible sounding excuse, and a book the size of Bet365 probably gets multiple flags like this a day.

Maybe warn a user or lock them out of the accounts automatically if an IP match is seen at login. Although that idea is probably worse from some players perspectives.
    Last edited by Optional; 02-09-17 at 04:26 PM.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Yeah it really does suck. People using university systems or company networks get pinged a lot.

The wifi (IP address) is a lot simpler to log and flag than the device fingerprint stuff that needs iovation type technology btw. If they do detect the same device used for both they might take stronger action than an IP match.

I'm not sure exactly what the books should do differently. As you can imagine, almost every case has a plausible sounding excuse, and a book the size of Bet365 probably gets multiple flags like this a day.

Maybe warn a user or lock them out of the accounts automatically if an IP match is seen at login. Although that idea is probably worse from some players perspectives.
    Shows you how much of this I understand! I always thought the IP was the device fingerprint, not the Wi-Fi.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Bet365 get multi-accounted more than any other tennis book, so yeah, I can believe this.