Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9181

83% Suspicious Betting on Tennis

It feels like an even higher amount than that from complaints about delayed bet grading due to investigations.

Not sure why ESSA thinks the sport deserves more time personally. Start sledge hammering them and publicly shaming them more I say.

Tennis Linked with Suspicious Gambling Patterns

Raana
    optional is asshole
    Raana's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 478

Investigation report on notorious Davydenko - Vassallo Arguello case
    They found russian and italian syndicate of bettors

captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10711

Remember the game where a female player was winning easily and went up to her coach and forgot her mike was on or a microphone was nearby and picked up her saying should she say she is sick now and let the other girl win? I think it was in German or something. I think it was a well known name who was that.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

thanks for posting that Optional.

Conqueror
    Conqueror's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5662

They always keep the names away from us.

coolguy73739
    coolguy73739's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9574

Please get the HELL OUT OF THAT MESS..I have gone thru the same.. If its fixed you will NEVER EVER I repeat NEVER EVER will come to know..
    SO just follow the normal path and keep betting keeping an eye on the odds..
    I am sure you will achieve success!!

STAY STRONG
    STAY STRONG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Tons of cheaters in tennis.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20513

Quote Originally Posted by captrobey View Post
    Remember the game where a female player was winning easily and went up to her coach and forgot her mike was on or a microphone was nearby and picked up her saying should she say she is sick now and let the other girl win? I think it was in German or something. I think it was a well known name who was that.
    Yes, I recall that incident.
    A most commendable sporting gesture but unfortunately naive and against the rules.
    Not a fix. She was clearly unaware of the betting consequences.

captrobey

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    Yes, I recall that incident.
    A most commendable sporting gesture but unfortunately naive and against the rules.
    Not a fix. She was clearly unaware of the betting consequences.
    Maybe i am missing something lol. She was winning and was going to say she was sick or hurt or something and let the other girl who was losing win. Am i missing something i mean Ok maybe she felt bad for the girl but to throw the match?

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by captrobey View Post
    Maybe i am missing something lol. She was winning and was going to say she was sick or hurt or something and let the other girl who was losing win. Am i missing something i mean Ok maybe she felt bad for the girl but to throw the match?
    She was suffering from an injury/illness and knew that had she won she'd have had to forfeit her next round match, so rather than eliminate her young opponent she elected to permit her to win and progress to the next round.

captrobey

She was suffering from an injury/illness and knew that had she won she'd have had to forfeit her next round match, so rather than eliminate her young opponent she elected to permit her to win and progress to the next round.
    Oh i did not know that.

Optional

If betting was not involved in the equation, is this ethical behavior?

Should it concern the sport if this happens?

I'm not sure.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post

I'm not sure.
    If betting isn't involved I see no issue with it at all.
    At amateur level it would be roundly applauded I think.
    But yes it is a concern and players are required to be trying all the time they are on court.
    If she'd simply retired most bets on the game would have been refunded and no complaints. But her backers ended up out of pocket, not that she would/should have been aware of that.

captrobey

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post

I'm not sure.
    I am not sure if it did happen when they caught her on the mike or she did it and they played it later. But if she did throw the match either way you can imagine how pissed people must have been that bet on her. If it did happen i wonder after it was played if the people that bet on her got their cash back? I wonder if there is a planet with nothing but tennis balls with legs as it's inhabitants.

Optional

It feels like the right thing to do in an amateur event but even then the next opponent is affected by the decision, so not really fair in that respect.

Pro sport I think they should be required to try as hard as they can to win at all times.

But I also think sports 'should not have to' make rules to keep bettors happy. Betting 'should be' a totally separate thing that has zero effect on the actual outcome.