rankslash
    rankslash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8734

Why does the MLS suck so bad?

Just wondering The US national team is pretty solid, but the MLS is just awful. I know that the championship is still new (1996) compared to most European leagues but still. Most MLS teams play attacking football but fail to score their chances and some of the misses are just shockingly bad.
    There are other football/soccer leagues without history that are doing much better in my opinion like the Australian's A-League.

sjm5122
    sjm5122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11867

Two goals 30' in and I lose another over

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Content. Everything they do is for the sake of spreading/selling the game to the US. They worry too much about marketing.

CDub03
    CDub03's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1577

The main reason is that most of the talent that is premier plays overseas in Europe. If your a great soccer player in the US your goal is to play in England, Spain, etc, not play in the MLS. I doubt it will ever get to that level because in the US soccer is a second tier sport compared to NFL and the NBA. In most every other country on the planet soccer or futbol is the top sport and if not very close, here in America this isn't the case.
    On the national level we compete due to the talent that is spread out around the world coming to play for their home country.

rankslash

Quote Originally Posted by CDub03 View Post
    The main reason is that most of the talent that is premier plays overseas in Europe. If your a great soccer player in the US your goal is to play in England, Spain, etc, not play in the MLS. I doubt it will ever get to that level because in the US soccer is a second tier sport compared to NFL and the NBA. In most every other country on the planet soccer or futbol is the top sport and if not very close, here in America this isn't the case.
    On the national level we compete due to the talent that is spread out around the world coming to play for their home country.
    I agree 100%, but still MLS teams can easily buy players from Europe and Asia (at least second-tier players) and improve their quality. Money are definitely not a problem here.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 804

Quote Originally Posted by rankslash View Post
    I agree 100%, but still MLS teams can easily buy players from Europe and Asia (at least second-tier players) and improve their quality. Money are definitely not a problem here.
    They can earn the same money in Europe where most of them call home and be in the biggest competitions in the world. I'd rather play in a champions league group stage game than win an MLS cup if I had the choice, the noise, the emotion is truly something and I'm just watching on a little screen on the other side of the world.

MLS is tenfold better than it was 10 even 5 years ago, it's a league on the up.

Really enjoy watching Portland Timbers games what a fantastic fan base that is.

Mase of Base

Although I will say that it seems like 95% of the league goes in with a 'don't lose' approach to every away game, which is sad in a salary capped league. That carry on should only happen when smaller sized clubs take on the big boys in the famous leagues.

I'm a kiwi and the A League is similar to that of MLS where the sport is regarded as a small sport compared with the other sports in the country (AFL, NRL, Rugby compared with NFL, NBA, MLB etc). But pretty much every team goes out to win and play football every week, results in plenty of goals and action. MLS sides love to park the bus and play on the counter, which doesn't work when the teams are evenly matched and the the team you're trying to hit on the break have plenty of numbers back.

I recall watching the new side for the first time from Orlando play Vancouver, Vancouver were by far the better side but just let Orlando do what they wanted and parked the bus as they were away, think they ended up winning it late but it shouldn't of even been a contest. This game summed up the league for me.

rankslash

Quote Originally Posted by Mase of Base View Post
    Although I will say that it seems like 95% of the league goes in with a 'don't lose' approach to every away game, which is sad in a salary capped league. That carry on should only happen when smaller sized clubs take on the big boys in the famous leagues.

I'm a kiwi and the A League is similar to that of MLS where the sport is regarded as a small sport compared with the other sports in the country (AFL, NRL, Rugby compared with NFL, NBA, MLB etc). But pretty much every team goes out to win and play football every week, results in plenty of goals and action. MLS sides love to park the bus and play on the counter, which doesn't work when the teams are evenly matched and the the team you're trying to hit on the break have plenty of numbers back.

I recall watching the new side for the first time from Orlando play Vancouver, Vancouver were by far the better side but just let Orlando do what they wanted and parked the bus as they were away, think they ended up winning it late but it shouldn't of even been a contest. This game summed up the league for me.
    Great post man! MLS should find a way to motivate teams to play for the win in every game especially when they are on the road. That 'don't lose' mentality should go.

Mase of Base

Quote Originally Posted by rankslash View Post
    Great post man! MLS should find a way to motivate teams to play for the win in every game especially when they are on the road. That 'don't lose' mentality should go.
    There's plenty of motivation in three points surely! An way win and three points it's huge, it's worth more than three points in the long run.

To me it seems the coaches/managers whatever you call 'em in the States will take a point if offered before kick off. I mentioned a game above but watch any LA Galaxy game at their place it's a joke, sure they were a really good team a few years back but now? C'mon get real they are just the same as everyone else, scared of Keane?! The guy wasn't that great in his prime let alone now. Will be even worse the Gerrard turns up next year, at least he's used to teams parking the bus against him without any chance of scoring themselves.

Could be wrong as I haven't watched too much this season (I'm an unders bettor so LOVE MLS! I don't watch games where I play an under and don't have a vested interest in the league) but it seemed like Toronto and RSL, were fun teams to watch away (excluding the 'big clubs' LA & NY).

rankslash

Philly vs Toronto is another MLS classic. Toronto with three players 2 metres infront of goal and the striker shoots can't hit the target. :X

AceChampion
    AceChampion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3122

Betting on this shit makes one realize how strong the addiction has become

AceChampion
    AceChampion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3122

Can't believe I continue to bet these matches..never again. Lol

sjm5122

MLS is such garbage

Nova99
    Nova99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

July and August are the month that MLS really turn into garbage... Injuries fatigues euro clubs visiting plus transfers will flip everything youve learned upset down... Even at the amateur level here the focus is physical play rather than skill... Hope it will change with the new gen

DRB
    DRB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1278

I agree with that point Nova even though the season lasts into mid-
    October and plenty of teams make the playoffs ( PLAYOFFS ????).
    They want to expand by 6-8 teams in the near future and continue to dilute the product
    but it will end up being more and more international players
    How would you compare MLS to the Mexican top league ?

rankslash

Do you guys agree that big part of the problem are head coaches/managers? There is something seriously messed up in the system, cause I see a lot of talented young guys playing soccer/football.

TrojanMan8
    TrojanMan8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3054

Quote Originally Posted by DRB View Post
    I agree with that point Nova even though the season lasts into mid-
    October and plenty of teams make the playoffs ( PLAYOFFS ????).
    They want to expand by 6-8 teams in the near future and continue to dilute the product
    but it will end up being more and more international players
    How would you compare MLS to the Mexican top league ?
    As of right now, Liga MX is clearly better than MLS. In the current iteration of the CONCACAF Champions League, Liga MX has won all 7 competitions, including 5 all Mexican finals. MLS has only been in the finals twice. In that same time frame, Liga MX has placed 18 teams in the semis and MLS has placed only 5 (Costa Rica has placed 4).

There is an argument that the timing of the MLS season hurts its teams chances of having CCL success since the knockout stages of the CCL are during the middle of Liga MX season/calendar and the beginning of the MLS season (i.e. MLS is not in form). There may be some logic in that, but MLS teams do not consistently get 4 teams to the knockout stage (held during the end of the MLS season) despite having 5 berths (4 US, 1 Canada) compared to Liga MX's 4.

TL;DR version: CONCACAF Champions League results show that Liga MX is clearly and consistently better than MLS.

DRB
    DRB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1278

Last week I saw the final leg of the CCL final with Montreal and Club America.
    With Montreal having a 1-0 lead at halftime at home and the trophy on the line, it seemed like Club America flipped a switch into a higher gear and scored 4 goals in the 2nd half. They looked really sharp. I would agree that league MX is stronger overall and I would like to get a better handle on it for wagering purposes as soccer gets really thin after May and most European leagues finish up. We get to enjoy the semifinals of the Champions League next 2 weeks starting tomorrow.

Good luck with your bets !

sjm5122

1 sog combined in the first half. how can anyone have interest in this league??

bosigga
    No Sleep Gang
    bosigga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3706

MLs teams move the ball so slowly compared to the top leagues. Less technically gifted players so slower decision making and more turnovers. Just seems sloppy.

Salary cap killing the game. Anybody worth a damn is playing overseas. The top 6-7 players earn 30% of the income in MLS. You can't buy one 5 star player and have the rest of players average. That equals average product.

rankslash

What's your opinion on last night match - RSL vs LA Galaxy? rough match...

sjm5122

I think of the last 10 mls matches, only two have had over 2.5 goals.

rankslash

I was on the Under 2.5 last night, but man that was a horrible match. These guys can't score a goal from two meters without a keeper, then a penalty out of nowhere in 92nd minute and another horrible miss I'm going to bet a lot of unders there, until some miracle happens and these losers start scoring.
    btw I feel sorry for the fans who bought tickets to watch that crap. :X

rankslash

Worst offside ever at NYC/Chi game. I guess MLS refs suck too

sjm5122

MLS, still terrible

sjm5122

Every game going under, this is the most boring fvcking league there is

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

The MLS will continue to suck per se until teams get some strikers who can score.

I have watch many games and guys right in the box and just sail a shot in the stands

couple weeks back...timbers play the sounders and the timbers had like 3 chances to score including a breakaway counter and just smash it right into the post.

until they get that fixed and guys just standing around and playing for draws it will always be a second tier sport here

rankslash

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    The MLS will continue to suck per se until teams get some strikers who can score.

I have watch many games and guys right in the box and just sail a shot in the stands

couple weeks back...timbers play the sounders and the timbers had like 3 chances to score including a breakaway counter and just smash it right into the post.

until they get that fixed and guys just standing around and playing for draws it will always be a second tier sport here
    This is 100 % true. Unfortunately, they need a lot of money to make that possible.

sjm5122

these teams couldnt score if you removed the goalies

Mase of Base

Still getting a hard time the 'ol MLS aye!

To be honest haven't watched as much as previous years this season but if you pick you spots I think there's some good teams to watch. Best thing to happen was getting rid of Chivas that fake team was a disgrace. Now the league has a bunch of teams that imo want to be there and win titles (although not sold on Montreal even if they did fluke the CCL).

A New York derby is a huge event to build on and throw in international football fans faces, so if that fake arse sky blue team can make something of it it can only be beneficial. As mentioned I'm from down under and support the Wellington side in the A League where the rich folk just made the second Melbourne side sky blue (what's with these guys and trying to buy teams in huge cities to topple the 'big brother'?! Man City/United, Melb Victory/Melb City, NYRB/NYCFC).

Steven Gerrard turning up will be interesting though. Obviously not going to be the histeria of that Manc douche turning up but that will put plenty of bums on seats. LA look like they're playing some top quality football at the moment also, watched that hammering they dished out tonight it was impressive.

sjm5122

That texas derby was a shitshow. Houston should have stayed on the bus.

Killer2121
    Killer2121's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2099

Just wanted to ssy something. The US national team isn't good at all. Massively overrated by US soccer analysts and "fans". They'll only ever win the Gold Cup in a region filled with sub par teams, apart from Mexico. Their best players (Donovan, Dempsey) were considered average squad players at Everton and Spurs. The MLS sucks because there isn't a big focus on soccer, plain and simple. Average coaching, average training etc leads to sub par results. Players really develop from a young age. Look at Holland for example. Small population, but they've produced a plethora of world class players. It ccould happen within the next few decades, but not now or even in the near future. The MLS also needs to change, big time. Eliminate the stupid draft and playoffs and not only will youth be given more opportunities, but the league will also attract more players. It's just a big joke, a retirement league.

cogiditopapa
    The happy one!
    cogiditopapa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9965

The league is young, there perspective to rise their level is in place but this will take really long time.
    MLS is a golden market for punters, low liquidity means better odds adn more stable. Lots of information available. I do agree that watching a lot of the games in this league can be somewhat boring and even frustrating but it is only because we are so used to comparing and watching games in Europe where the best futbol is played. We just cannot compare European top leagues futbol vs MLS. That is like comparing Euro Basket to NBA...there is no comparison.

Holland produce good players, but when was the last time they won anything worth mentioning? Wikipidia states 1988 EC. Probably a better example will be Uruguay.

igilad
    igilad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 210

VERY VERY well said..

Quote Originally Posted by cogiditopapa View Post
    The league is young, there perspective to rise their level is in place but this will take really long time.
    MLS is a golden market for punters, low liquidity means better odds adn more stable. Lots of information available. I do agree that watching a lot of the games in this league can be somewhat boring and even frustrating but it is only because we are so used to comparing and watching games in Europe where the best futbol is played. We just cannot compare European top leagues futbol vs MLS. That is like comparing Euro Basket to NBA...there is no comparison.

Holland produce good players, but when was the last time they won anything worth mentioning? Wikipidia states 1988 EC. Probably a better example will be Uruguay.

12 Last