unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 684

Refs taking over the tournament

How do you first let a team goal tend a layup and then T up a coach, after you just missed the biggest play of the game, for being upset? I mean there has been some stupid flagrant fouls, imo, so far that may have cost a few teams wins or at least a chance to win but this was by far the worst. Zags completely fall apart and they are bailed out by not only 1 play but then to give them 2 points when you just took 2 away from NW? Just embarrassing. I can't wait to see the "head of officials" post game in the CBS studios to try to talk his way through this one.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

That call was an abortion.
    Points Awarded:

thedenthead gave ChalkyDog 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

RobbieStacks
    RobbieStacks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

Tbh though, if the refs called that correctly, I still think Gonzaga would have eeked out a 2 point win. Whenever Gonzaga was inspired to score, they could do what they wanted on the overmatched NU team.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieStacks View Post
    Tbh though, if the refs called that correctly, I still think Gonzaga would have eeked out a 2 point win. Whenever Gonzaga was inspired to score, they could do what they wanted on the overmatched NU team.
    If Zags could get whatever they wanted then why did their 22 point lead turn into nothing? You take that call away and give NW a bucket there to cut the lead to 3, with all the momentum, and they have more than a good chance to win. Zags were deer in headlights just like the last time they were challenged. Whether NW wins or not isn't the point, refs shouldn't be the ones that end up deciding games. If you aren't going to call the goal tend then you can ignore the coach as you jog by.

ChalkyDog

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20256

College refs usually suck. I'm not sure you can make the refs better, but one thing we can change is the rules. Make goaltending reviewable.

RobbieStacks

You sound like you're afraid that Gonzaga's gonna thump UNC or something lol

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

The only reason we saw it was because of instant replay, slow-motion, and HD.

The referee missed the call. It happens. Did Chris Collins even see it? It looked like he was crying about there not being a foul.

RobbieStacks

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post

That kid had me cracking up. He was cheering for them as if Northwestern was destined for a championship. That kid really thought Northwestern was gonna beat everybody and win it all!!

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

He's doomed to degeneracy.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post

The referee missed the call. It happens. Did Chris Collins even see it? It looked like he was crying about there not being a foul.

While I generally agree with your sentiment, the net moving so significantly usually triggers that call automatically one way or another.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

happens every game

Refs cannot get everything right

unde0087
    Did we win?

You might want to watch the replay on the technical, it was obvious he was motioning for a goal tend. In real time you can see the net moving all over the place.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

That kid had me cracking up. He was cheering for them as if Northwestern was destined for a championship. That kid really thought Northwestern was gonna beat everybody and win it all!!
    I guess you would be the bully in the schoolyard on Monday laughing at him....That would really toughen him up all right

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7357

Human error

BigOrange
    BigOrange's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5164

The reason it got close was several terrible calls in the first place. The Big Lurch got hammered on three straight possessions that caused missed shots or turnovers and there wasn't a single foul called. I turned it over to the other game because it was easy to see the refs wanted to make it a game.

I didn't have either side and I don't give two shits about either team so this is an unbiased observation.

unde0087
    Did we win?

You sound like you're afraid that Gonzaga's gonna thump UNC or something lol
    Ya, really scared. If they met it wouldn't be anything different from what happened to that panzy ass team in 2009, a straight curb stomping.

The Giant

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    You might want to watch the replay on the technical, it was obvious he was motioning for a goal tend. In real time you can see the net moving all over the place.
    Please provide a gif to support your argument.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Unde relax...a couple thoughts....the lead (baseline) official on that play is not going to call a goal tending...its not his call as he's too close to the play...the official in the slot (C) position has to get any goal tending calls...in any event, the guy missed the call....it happens....I blame Collins for not keeping his composure and coming into the court....You have no choice but to T him up at that point

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25256

RobbieStacks is what SBR wants...gets everyone fired up with the dumbest posts on the thread right along side TPowell

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9870

That was a shame all the way around. Not sure it changes ultimate result but was bad miss for sure and certainly had impact on game which is never what you want. Collins knew how big that was. I blamed him initially as well but looking at replay - he was right to be that adamant!!

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I can't believe some of these coaches. How do they hold it all in? (They must know the sh#$ is rigged.)

I'd tell the ref to fuk off during the 1st half. Enough of this sh#$!

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    That was a shame all the way around. Not sure it changes ultimate result but was bad miss for sure and certainly had impact on game which is never what you want. Collins knew how big that was. I blamed him initially as well but looking at replay - he was right to be that adamant!!
    I'm kind of glad Collins went berserk. As an official you can't blow a call like that. It's right in front of your face. How do you miss that?

What a fukking a$$hole.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Unde relax...a couple thoughts....the lead (baseline) official on that play is not going to call a goal tending...its not his call as he's too close to the play...the official in the slot (C) position has to get any goal tending calls...in any event, the guy missed the call....it happens....I blame Collins for not keeping his composure and coming into the court....You have no choice but to T him up at that point
    philly, i don't really care either way, its just a terrible way to end a comeback by a team. In the whole scheme of things it probably doesn't matter, we will never know who would have won but still if you miss that call then just play on and run by the coach, don't let the other team tack on another 2 on a play after you miss a call. I mean come on, the whole net was rim level, you didn't need replay to see that. It just looks bad when we finally have an exciting game with the first actual huge upset playing out in this tournament then the refs end the comeback in a matter of seconds.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by funnyb25 View Post
    RobbieStacks is what SBR wants...gets everyone fired up with the dumbest posts on the thread right along side TPowell
    sharpest post of the day

unde0087
    Did we win?

Please provide a gif to support your argument.

The Giant

I saw the replay. You were right. It looked like he knew there was interference.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

philly, i don't really care either way, its just a terrible way to end a comeback by a team. In the whole scheme of things it probably doesn't matter, we will never know who would have won but still if you miss that call then just play on and run by the coach, don't let the other team tack on another 2 on a play after you miss a call. I mean come on, the whole net was rim level, you didn't need replay to see that. It just looks bad when we finally have an exciting game with the first actual huge upset playing out in this tournament then the refs end the comeback in a matter of seconds.
    I'm assuming the official who was almost ran over by Collins thought he made the right no call....as a head coach of a division 1 program you know what responsibilities each official has....a goal tending is not a call that guy would be in position to make as he's not looking that high up....the C or trail official has to make that call......

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    I'm assuming the official who was almost ran over by Collins thought he made the right no call....as a head coach of a division 1 program you know what responsibilities each official has....a goal tending is not a call that guy would be in position to make as he's not looking that high up....the C or trail official has to make that call......
    I would of lost my job because of that official. In the emotions of everything.... I would of got right in that refs face. You would of had to pull me away.

You can't miss a call like that down the stretch. That's not even human error. It's Human Ass.

These kids work too fukking hard for a ref to miss an obvious call like that.

I'm still hot about it.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25256

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I would of lost my job because of that official. In the emotions of everything.... I would of got right in that refs face. You would of had to pull me away.

You can't miss a call like that down the stretch. That's not even human error. It's Human Ass.

I'm still hot about it.
    Spot on...Posted about this a while ago...I didn't even have a wager on that game and it pissed me off more than a lost wager

3 guys out there....even in real time you could completely see it...

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 170

NCAA could be pushing for Gonzaga to get to final 4

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Gamblers always blame the refs

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I saw the replay. You were right. It looked like he knew there was interference.
    I had no clue what he was doing with that hand motion until the replay. But, if he can see it than a ref should. It was tough to see, but he was on point. The ref is behind the basket, and probably couldn't see it. He's watching contact. Another ref should have been watching up high.

The refs have been a disgrace. It's not an easy job, but they let these old timers stay around way too long. Train some younger guys who can actually get up, and down the court. Also, should have good vision.

These old guys are wearing contacts probably because they can't run with glasses. If not, then they should be.

The game is too fast for them, and it's penetrating over teams who work all year for this shit. While they just work on getting a paycheck, and as many games as possible. A nice hotel comped with the mini bar, travel, and whatever else these fools get.

The NCAA is a joke. By the end, we will have a dozen teams screwed. At least 5 already of a chance to win.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Gamblers always blame the refs
    We do, but that was bad. The refs get older, but the players stay the same age.

RobbieStacks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

I'm still hot about it.

Dude, quit acting like a tough guy, the ref would have kicked your ass!

12 Last