Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 857

Became vegan. Amazing results.

I was 60 lbs overweight (roughly 6'3/258). I read about the benefits of a vegan diet. I decided to try it on 5/20. I've lost 48 pounds, cleared up my skin, Ibs, brain fog,sinuses and chronic cough. I'm running 3-5 miles per day for the first time in 18 years. This lifestyle is the real deal.
    Points Awarded:

Canuckdave gave Johnnythunder 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

onemoregoal
    twentysixblack
    onemoregoal's Avatar Become A Pro!

hope u taking b12 supplements....

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

3-5 miles no fukkin way pal

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythunder View Post
    I was 60 lbs overweight (roughly 6'3/258). I read about the benefits of a vegan diet. I decided to try it on 5/20. I've lost 48 pounds, cleared up my skin, Ibs, brain fog,sinuses and chronic cough. I'm running 3-5 miles per day for the first time in 18 years. This lifestyle is the real deal.
    running 3-5 miles a day at 6 foot 3 and 210 pounds????

i call bullshit on the running. 3 miles maybe but aint running 5 miles a day if u 6"3 and 210.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

the real question is what were you eating bfore going vegan?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Johnny please post example of 5 days worth of meals...

I tried to go vegan but its almost impossible. How do u get protein?

are you eating soy fake meats?

what do you get at Bojangels, McDonalds, Wendys and Taco Bell?

eating vegan is hard unless u got a personal chef.

Johnnythunder

Big bear...almost everything has protein...i get enough protein with 2 bowls of oatmeal, raw nuts and seeds, hemp/almond milk, soy burgers etc...

i probably have years worth of b12 stored up from all the dairy consumption...we store b12...but i will supplement...

used to run 50 miles a week...3-5 a day is not hard for me.

will post meals this weekend

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

your pen will get smaller if you become vegen.

meat = testosterone

Men Eat Meat.
    Veg is for girls.

Johnnythunder

Sawyer - sad to see such a callous and sophomoric statement.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

All different ways to live a healthy lifestyle

Vegan not my style at all but sure as shit beats most Americans' daily diets of pure garbage

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6495

Vegans are pussys

Wtf do you eat when you go to a bar with friends?

Eat meat, drink beer, lift weights. Don't be a bitch

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hear ya man!

Do you like your purse with or without a strap?

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Congrats on the weight loss!

Keep in mind it's entirely possible you lost weight because of your own mental decision to eat a certain way which restricted the availability of easily accessible calories, which possibly can be done including meat also with similar results

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13200

48 lbs in 2 months? That seems dangerous.

leeloo
    leeloo's Avatar Become A Pro!

That's a lot of weight to lose in such short time, be careful and make sure you're consuming enough calories. Most of your weight loss is probably from your excercise and not the diet but you are doing the right thing, keep it up and you will reduce your chances of getting cancer, diabeties and your heart will love you. Most important, good for you for not supporting the meat/dairy industries.
    As for the protein, you are right, as long as you have enough fruits, veggies & nuts, no need to supplement. But do keep an eye on the b12 long term.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

I guess it's more the fact, that all sweets and shit are a no-no for you now (because of the vegan lifestyle) and not the fact, that being vegan is the "real deal" at all.....

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    48 lbs in 2 months? That seems dangerous.
    Yeah, this is how you get loose skin, which looks worse that fat.

Happy you've made a change and it's working though. A vegan lifestyle is really healthy, and there is protein in a lot of those things, we've just been told different for most of our lives. I'm too much of a food person to willingly give up animal, I respect those who can. Just don't be a pain in the ass at restaurants.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Yeah, this is how you get loose skin, which looks worse that fat.

Happy you've made a change and it's working though. A vegan lifestyle is really healthy, and there is protein in a lot of those things, we've just been told different for most of our lives. I'm too much of a food person to willingly give up animal, I respect those who can. Just don't be a pain in the ass at restaurants.
    He prolly has a toxic gas situation that takes the paint off the walls.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14368

I think I would be weak and lethargic .

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

Nothing better than a 3 meat salad for your health.

Beef, chicken and pork or lamb should all be a part of each healthy meal.

Grrrrrrrrrr

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Do some research of vegans. You won't find one conclusive study that shows vegans are healthier. However, you will find study after study that shows when people with non-vegan diets of any sort are compared to vegans, the non-vegan group has noticeable fewer health complications every time. Being vegan is extremely unhealthy if you don't do it right and doing it right is a daily routine.

Plus, it's been shown when you reach 40+ your brain craves animal protein as it does when you're very young. In the middle it's healthier to eat more plant and less meat.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

And if you think the China Study means much you would know the data is completely useless if you have ever taken an intro statistics class. You can't compare numbers like that and then draw conclusions on them. All the china study did was reconfirm that processed foods will kill you and low calorie daily diet will make you live longer.
    Last edited by brooks85; 07-18-14 at 08:21 AM.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    Maybe that first week. I dated a vegan, and she didn't even smell after a three day camping trip. Veggies do make you fart, but dairy is what usually makes everything smell bad.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

You are now more unhealthy than you've ever been and are dangerously deficient in a number of vital vitamin and mineral requirements. Seek medical help.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by Boner_18 View Post
    You are now more unhealthy than you've ever been and are dangerously deficient in a number of vital vitamin and mineral requirements. Seek medical help.
    You don't have the first clue on his health status. Talk about shooting from the hip.

I can promise you although he COULD have a vitamin deficiency, that pales in comparison the benefits his entire body just reaped from losing 60 pounds. He also just decreased his risk of stroke and diabetes. His pecker probably looks bigger too.

And this is coming from a guy that absolutely hates scales. But there is no denying there's a major benefit to the heart and entire cardiovascular system by losing 60 pounds, assuming you're at least 60 pounds overweight to begin with.

Why do you not think he's supplementing with a multivitamin daily? That plus a vegan diet is plenty to keep vitamin levels up just fine.

Most importantly, he feels great. You don't feel great when you're deficient of all sorts of vitamins and minerals.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    Do some research of vegans. You won't find one conclusive study that shows vegans are healthier. However, you will find study after study that shows when people with non-vegan diets of any sort are compared to vegans, the non-vegan group has noticeable fewer health complications every time. Being vegan is extremely unhealthy if you don't do it right and doing it right is a daily routine.

Plus, it's been shown when you reach 40+ your brain craves animal protein as it does when you're very young. In the middle it's healthier to eat more plant and less meat.
    You're one those guys, needs a study to tell you what to think. You guys always crack me up because you're the least likely to even know how to interpret a study and determine it's usefulness .

Find me a study that says if You jump out of a plane and don't open your parachute, you're 99.9% likely to die. You won't find one. So maybe that means it's safe and you could try it.

Now that I'm done being a dick, I'll say this. He didn't say he was following the diet because studies showed it to be healthiest, he tried it and felt better, so he stuck with it. Sounds logical to me.

The AHA is the biggest running joke when it comes to dietary recommendations based off of studies. And they have some of the largest studies to pull from.

Here's my health tips from working in ICU's, ER's, Cath Labs and With cardiologist for the last 15 years. And no, I don't need to read a study to see the obvious correlations between the following and better health.

Don't smoke, it's wreaks havoc on your coronary arteries and entire peripheral vascular system in general.

Do everything you can to not become a diabetic, this includes eating healthy carbs that digest slow and don't spike your glucose levels very much. This could very well include a vegan diet. Cut out sodas and desserts loaded with sugars altogether (there are a few exceptions to the dessert one)

When trying a new diet like Paleo or Vegan, call up a local PCP, tell me what you're doing and get your labs checked at 3 and 6 months, just to see what's going on inside your body and don't make too many assumptions. Get your cholesterol levels, liver and A1C checked at both visits.

Don't do hard drugs. They straight fukk your heart up.

Move. Move a lot. Being sedentary is terrible for our bodies.

Pick your parents wisely.

Beyond this list, I've never really noticed a correlation in health complications and lifestyle. I hear a lot of noise and chatter but it's mixed. These things above, more likely than not will put you in bad health, guaranteed.
    Last edited by The Kraken; 07-30-14 at 02:41 PM.

Johnnythunder

Kraken - illuminating post.
    I live with someone who cooks very well so she can make any pie/cookie/cake/muffin taste great and she'll use coconut sugar, good tasting stevia (some suck) and/or honey to sweeten them. She made a blueberry cheesecake with tofu and it was amazing. Tofu is packed with protein. I took in over 100 grams of protein the other day (far too much and counting the protein in green supplements). We get far too much protein in this country. She also made rice with peas, some egg substitute and seitan. The meal tasted so much like pork fried rice. She added a fresh pineapple sauce. I've now lost 66 pounds and I benched 135 (24 times) and played 2+hrs of tennis yesterday. I would never use dairy (not made for humans) or meat (cancer and heart attack causing and filled with toxins/steroids/feces etc) again. It's a destructive lifestyle and I want no part of it. I take about 20 supplements and i'll list them:

Marine Phytoplankton
    Chlorlla GF
    Spirulina
    3000 mgs of Vit C
    Brewers Yeast
    Msm
    Curcumin
    Green Tea Extract
    Alpha L Acid
    Aloe
    Pomegranate Extract
    Coconut Oil
    Bilberry
    Chia
    Purple (eggplant etc)
    Chromium
    B 12 sub 1000 ** 2x a week
    Quercatin
    Acai freeze dried
    Barley Grass

Johnnythunder

No need for a multi...only eat nutrient dense foods and healthy deserts and the best supplements.
    Last edited by Johnnythunder; 08-14-14 at 10:19 AM.

Johnnythunder

I hear ya man!

Do you like your purse with or without a strap?

You are trash. Very sad person.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Most posters in this thread can never go Vegan; the like raw rooster too much. Kraken's ugly ass cannot get enough.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

And Bateman brings the thread full circle

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    And Bateman brings the thread full circle
    We were all just waiting for it.

hurricane1091
    hurricane1091's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6469

OP do you have the handle onionsack on another site?

Johnnythunder

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane1091 View Post
    OP do you have the handle onionsack on another site?

no, sir

12 Last