weatherhawg
    weatherhawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 470

How do you cap poor officiating?

Disappointing call just happened in Florida. Punt returner (uninterfered with) fumbled punt and Arkansas recovered inside Florida 5. Ref throws flag for kick catch interference even though the kick returner wasn't touched. Florida scores a td 6 plays later.

SEC officiating at its finest.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24890

It's a basic part of my handicapping regimen actually. First, I acquire a list of officials and potential backup officials that will be working a particular game. Then I perform a comprehensive background check, including grade school report cards. I know how many parking tickets these guys have, their credit score.....hell, I know what they had for lunch. I call neighbors, acquaintances, job references. Sometimes I'll hire a private investigator if I'm strapped for time. That my friend, is how you handicap bad officiating.
    Points Awarded:

beringeyy gave Eddy Munny 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: weatherhawg, and beringeyy

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6858

Florida was a stay-away game

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Quote Originally Posted by weatherhawg View Post
    Disappointing call just happened in Florida. Punt returner (uninterfered with) fumbled punt and Arkansas recovered inside Florida 5. Ref throws flag for kick catch interference even though the kick returner wasn't touched. Florida scores a td 6 plays later.

SEC officiating at its finest.
    The PR doesn't have to be touched, just interfered with. Was the defender too close to the PR?

I didn't see it, so I couldn't tell you.

weatherhawg

Defenders were ~1 yard away from the punt returner...

It was bad and blatant...I'm sure there will be a YouTube video of it coming out sometime soon...

Jago2008
    SoCal Living
    Jago2008's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    It's a basic part of my handicapping regimen actually. First, I acquire a list of officials and potential backup officials that will be working a particular game. Then I perform a comprehensive background check, including grade school report cards. I know how many parking tickets these guys have, their credit score.....hell, I know what they had for lunch. I call neighbors, acquaintances, job references. Sometimes I'll hire a private investigator if I'm strapped for time. That my friend, is how you handicap bad officiating.
    Haha!

AchillesTG
    AchillesTG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6000

I really do not think there is a way in NCAAF and NFL to cap poor Refs ; it is so objective.

Now, in MLB, Umpires make a big difference and they post the Umpire Stats.
    Apparently the Ref scandal in the NBA also has some validity.

For NFL and NCAAF, I have never seen Ref stats. In the NFL, one penalty can change the entire game because the lines are so tight. Not quite so much in NCAAF, but I did watch the nightmare of the TX/ISU game.

In Football, make your play, have a really big drink, and hope for the best!

weatherhawg

The penalty I referred to in the Florida game swung the entire game. Rather than giving Arkansas the ball at Florida's 5, Florida scores a TD 6 plays later. Potentially a 10-14 point swing in a game that was only 17-7 at half. Huge...