gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Quote Originally Posted by zizoudane10 View Post
    Ha great man How old are your kids if I might ask? Cool idea to take them to Germany, if you decide to do that and have any question: I'll be glad to help if I can!
    both are under 10 so we will likely be focusing the travel around sight seeing/historical stuff. Might try to make it to Spain as well. I'll hit you up when we get closer with any questions.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Ha yeah I do For example: Entschuldigen Sie bitte, ich hätte bitte gerne noch einen Kaffee und ein Glas Wasser. (Excuse me, I'd like to have another coffee and a glas of water please) Most of the time when someone says it, he is not actually asking for forgiveness or anything, it's more a polite form you use when you have a question or a wish. Like: Entschuldigen Sie bitte, macht es Ihnen etwas aus wenn ich ein Fenster öffne? (Excuse me, do you mind if I open a window?)

Nazi memorabilia? Well, yes and no. It's not like my family keeps things because it is from that time. But we sure do have lots of stuff from both world wars stored. Simply because it belonged to the family and was never given away. We have a quite interesting photo album from my dads granddad f.e., with loads of interesting pictures from both world wars. I might take a few pics and show them here when I get my hands on it next time if you want to. We have some weapons from the war as well (when the soldiers came home, they brought loads of stuff with them). I'll see if my grandparents have anything real interesting when I visit them next time if you want to.
    Ok I thought maybe it was a phrase that isn't used much anymore, because when I used it in a bar in Freiburg to order a beer from the barmaid she looked a bit amused. Maybe I used it wrong

Yeah post some pics of some artifacts that you come across. I have a WWII luger that's in great shape

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    both are under 10 so we will likely be focusing the travel around sight seeing/historical stuff. Might try to make it to Spain as well. I'll hit you up when we get closer with any questions.
    Cool man
    Hit me up when you have any questions or want/need suggestions for your trip, what to do, what is cool to see, whatever!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Ok I thought maybe it was a phrase that isn't used much anymore, because when I used it in a bar in Freiburg to order a beer from the barmaid she looked a bit amused. Maybe I used it wrong

Yeah post some pics of some artifacts that you come across. I have a WWII luger that's in great shape
    You've been to Freiburg? Sweet little city. Only been their once (till now) but my dad is there quite often because he has business partners in this area.
    It was and is absolutely normal and fine and polite to use "Entschuldigen Sie bitte". Either the girl didn't really understand you (because of accent, noise, whatever), or she didn't expect a foreigner to speak German OR she was just being an asshole. Whatever it was, you did nothing wrong.
    Will do. Might take a month or so until I find the time to do so, remember me if I forget it. In one week I'm going to Spain for 2 or 3 weeks, so I think I won't make it till the end of August to visit my grandparents.
    Ha, the Luger P08, a wonderful weapon, great design as well. I have a short funny story about it: The house of my parents was build by my family in 1903. My great-grandparents were the owners of a cigar factory in our town (which is very famous for it's cigar and cigarillo industry). In 1945, when the War in our region was over, the British sequestrated the house because it was one of the nicest buildings with a big beautiful garden as well, so their commander-in-chief of this area could live there while the Brits were there. My great-grandparents only had 2 hours to get their stuff ready and out of the house. Before the Brits came into town, my great-grandfather already did hide all the weapons of his family, silver and gold, expensive paintings, jewels. (silver and gold and jewels were put in a new wall in the cellar, that wasn't there before and came back to light in 1954, 9 years later!) The weapons were put in preserving jars, and were buried behind the garden, near a river (they didn't find all of them 9 years later). So when they knew, they had 2 hours to get out of the house, my great-grandfather had quite a shock when he remembered that there was still a weapon in the house which he forgot. It was hidden in a cellar with charcoal. So he told his son (my godfather), to run and get the weapon and bury it. His son (9 or 10 at the time) did get the weapon, covered it in a flag and buried it in the back of the garden, under the compost heap. About 12 years ago, my dad and I were doing some garden work there, and suddenly my shovel hit something. I unearthed it and - it was the totally rotten, rusted Luger that my godfather did hide there in 1945

TheCentaur

Cool man
    Hit me up when you have any questions or want/need suggestions for your trip, what to do, what is cool to see, whatever!

You've been to Freiburg? Sweet little city. Only been their once (till now) but my dad is there quite often because he has business partners in this area.
    It was and is absolutely normal and fine and polite to use "Entschuldigen Sie bitte". Either the girl didn't really understand you (because of accent, noise, whatever), or she didn't expect a foreigner to speak German OR she was just being an asshole. Whatever it was, you did nothing wrong.
    Will do. Might take a month or so until I find the time to do so, remember me if I forget it. In one week I'm going to Spain for 2 or 3 weeks, so I think I won't make it till the end of August to visit my grandparents.
    Ha, the Luger P08, a wonderful weapon, great design as well. I have a short funny story about it: The house of my parents was build by my family in 1903. My great-grandparents were the owners of a cigar factory in our town (which is very famous for it's cigar and cigarillo industry). In 1945, when the War in our region was over, the British sequestrated the house because it was one of the nicest buildings with a big beautiful garden as well, so their commander-in-chief of this area could live there while the Brits were there. My great-grandparents only had 2 hours to get their stuff ready and out of the house. Before the Brits came into town, my great-grandfather already did hide all the weapons of his family, silver and gold, expensive paintings, jewels. (silver and gold and jewels were put in a new wall in the cellar, that wasn't there before and came back to light in 1954, 9 years later!) The weapons were put in preserving jars, and were buried behind the garden, near a river (they didn't find all of them 9 years later). So when they knew, they had 2 hours to get out of the house, my great-grandfather had quite a shock when he remembered that there was still a weapon in the house which he forgot. It was hidden in a cellar with charcoal. So he told his son (my godfather), to run and get the weapon and bury it. His son (9 or 10 at the time) did get the weapon, covered it in a flag and buried it in the back of the garden, under the compost heap. About 12 years ago, my dad and I were doing some garden work there, and suddenly my shovel hit something. I unearthed it and - it was the totally rotten, rusted Luger that my godfather did hide there in 1945
    Awesome story

As far as the barmaid, I think surprised or charmed would be more accurate than amused. She didn't know I was foreign before I spoke, it seemed like a reaction you would get if you said "Please excuse me my darling" to a waitress at Applebees

TheCentaur

Correction it's a 1918 9mm DWM p-08 Luger

I think that was the most common issued weapon and after looking online it seems retail is $1500-2500

Wouldn't sell it though

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Correction it's a 1918 9mm DWM p-08 Luger

I think that was the most common issued weapon and after looking online it seems retail is $1500-2500

Wouldn't sell it though
    Did you ever shoot it? It is seriously a great weapon. While I was in the Bundeswehr, we had some nice classics there (normally just for the museum, not for normal use of course) and from time to time me and a few friends took them out with our boss too shoot them. Great memories.

TheCentaur

Did you ever shoot it? It is seriously a great weapon. While I was in the Bundeswehr, we had some nice classics there (normally just for the museum, not for normal use of course) and from time to time me and a few friends took them out with our boss too shoot them. Great memories.
    No never have

Everything feels really solid though

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

No never have

Everything feels really solid though
    Was a great gun without a doubt. Pure genius for that time.
    Beautiful piece of art, too - never sell yours pal!

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly
    Rudeboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

Neuer or Kahn

Reasoning also...

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
    Neuer or Kahn

Reasoning also...
    Wow, that's a good one

First of all: I like them both. Kahn (the one little moment in the WC Final excluded) was one of the best to ever play this position. A monster. They didn't call him Titan for nothing. Especially what he did in the years between 98 and 2002 was simply great. There is no other word for this. You gotta be a little maniac if you play his position (same in hockey) and he certainly was a total maniac. When it comes to motivation and total passion for your job - it is hard to beat Kahn. And he was a person that said: "Complaining and arguing will not help". And he lived everyday of his career exactly like that. Even in practice, he was extremely pissed when he managed to keep a clean sheet the whole day and the last shot was in - he was a 100% pissed and the day was done for him. (Neuer begins to act like this as well now: against Brazil, every single German player + the coaches didn't give a fukk about the last goal. But have a look at Neuer and his reaction.... He was PISSED AS HELL) Kahn was a great keeper, but not a great player Everytime the ball came back to him and he had to play the ball with his feet, you're heart as a fan of the team stopped for a moment....

Neuer has superfast reflexes. The game against France was the best example. He has it all. He is big, he is fast, and: he could be a player as well. He makes the game fast when the ball comes back to him.
    But the most important part when it comes to Neuer is this: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...eper.html?_r=0
    He covers a third of the field. He is like a modern day libero.

And here is why I can't make a real decision: For an offensive team, a team that has the ball most of the time and keeps possession and puts massive pressure on the opponent for 90 minutes plus - there is absolutely no better goalie these days than Manuel Neuer.
    But the game was different a few years ago. I wouldn't want to have Neuer in the Germany team of 2002 for example. In this team, Neuer would have been a liability with his style of playing. Kahn was defense first. Keep your goal clean. That's it. That was the way he saw his job. Offense? Fukk the offense, not his problem. But Neuer is different. Neuer isn't satisfied with simply clearing a ball. When Kahn had to leave his goal and he reached the ball he shot it in the stands. And that was it. Safety first. When Neuer comes out, he will never shoot a ball in the stands. Because to him, that is a lost ball. If he shoots it in the stands, his team lost possession. Kahn reacted - Neuer acts. And this is the major difference.
    So all in all, with the way the game is today, I would choose Neuer. Without a doubt. But ONLY because the game changed.
    Points Awarded:

Rudeboy gave zizoudane10 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

onemoregoal
    twentysixblack
    onemoregoal's Avatar Become A Pro!

favourite meal?

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Totally agree with the concept of how the game has evolved which pips Neuer over Kahn shame really, goalkeeping should be about goalkeeping therefore Kahn was overall the better goalie in terms of goalkeeper skills only.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by onemoregoal View Post
    favourite meal?
    I'm pretty sure Ziziou mentioned "Muschi" as his fav. meal....but I can be wrong

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by onemoregoal View Post
    favourite meal?
    My girl makes the best Lasagna ever.
    Made by myself: fresh gambas a la plancha.
    In a restaurant: can't decide. Too much great food. I love to try new things and especially in Spain you have so many great restaurants. It's funny how often the little cheap ones that you almost didn't notice make the best food. Best thing is: I can eat a lot and don't get fat.

Muschi.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Russian Rocket

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

My girl makes the best Lasagna ever.
    Made by myself: fresh gambas a la plancha.
    In a restaurant: can't decide. Too much great food. I love to try new things and especially in Spain you have so many great restaurants. It's funny how often the little cheap ones that you almost didn't notice make the best food. Best thing is: I can eat a lot and don't get fat.

Muschi.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Totally agree with the concept of how the game has evolved which pips Neuer over Kahn shame really, goalkeeping should be about goalkeeping therefore Kahn was overall the better goalie in terms of goalkeeper skills only.
    Yes, agreed. In this case Kahn is better.
    But Kahn would have/cause major problems in todays Bayern München or Germany team. When you choose a style like that, you can't have a goalie that can't play ball.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post

Good to see you back pal

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Good to see you back pal
    likewise buddy

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Yes, agreed. In this case Kahn is better.
    But Kahn would have/cause major problems in todays Bayern München or Germany team. When you choose a style like that, you can't have a goalie that can't play ball.
    LOL Kahn would demand they change there style! Bayern/Germany would be wise if they listened

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

LOL Kahn would demand they change there style! Bayern/Germany would be wise if they listened

Absolutely
    Can't say no to a guy like him

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

crazy mofo

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I always thought Hogan's Heroes was extremely far fetched, what do you think?

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I always thought Hogan's Heroes was extremely far fetched, what do you think?
    Be happy that at least you were able to watch it in English.... It's German name was "Ein Käfig voller Helden" (a cage full of heroes) and boy was the whole translation bad A bunch of the jokes aren't funny when you translate them, lots of stuff doesn't make sense and worst of all: I hate it when shows change the whole subject of a discussion. For example let's say they mention the name of an actress of that time or whatever (a person that might not be that well known in Germany) and the translation just mentions a German person that has some similarities, just so that the German viewers might get the joke. (they did one funny thing though: "The German version also introduced new unseen character, "Kalinke", who is Klink's cleaning lady and perennial mistress. Colonel Klink describes her as performing most of her cleaning duties in the nude." That was a running gag that really worked well)
    Historically it was absolutely laughable of course and when they speak "German" it is just a bunch of gibberish and makes no sense at all, lots of the words don't even exist. In the pilot it says it starts in 1942, a time when US soldiers were practically non-existent in German camps. And don't get me started about the cars they use in the series.... Most of them are right-hand drives, wtf In one episode they even had a VW Käfer from the 60's in it!! The guards are using Thompson guns.... Schultz uses a gun from Norway..... The vegetation is often quite funny as well because the series was filmed in California The whole geographic content that is mentioned makes no sense at all, the structure of the camp is laughable etc etc etc
    BUT: despite all this, I only have the best memories of it. I think it came out here in 1991 or 1992 (these idiots had been afraid to publish it earlier) and I used to watch it with my granddad when I was there when Mom was working and he always laughed and laughed and laughed. He didn't give a shit about the authenticity, he just thought it was brilliant. So I naturally laughed with him and we always had a great time.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1482

why do you live in germany?

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    why do you live in germany?
    Because I am German
    German parents, grandparents, great-grandparents etc etc etc. (In the 15th century or so, we had some ancestors from Denmark and the Netherlands)
    So it's not a big surprise, that I'm living here.

But if you already knew that I am from Germany, and your question was more like "Why are you still living in Germany" or so: I like it here. When it comes to wheather etc, I am born in the wrong country and instead of being in Spain 4 weeks a year or so, I should emigrate there permanently. But when we are talking about the things that really matter, I am really happy here in Germany: healthy economy, overall great infrastructure, streets, bridges etc are in a great condition, health care system (compared to most other countries is really good), security is great, my girlfriend is a lawyer here and wouldn't be able to start in Spain tomorrow without having to have advanced training, and so on and so on. I am absolutely sure, that one day I'll move to Spain permanently - but right now, it isn't the right time for it. Don't get me wrong: I have a lot of things to moan and complain when it comes to Germany and we are far from being perfect - but at the same time, the is no country that is better when it comes to the overall standard of living and security right now. I am happy here.

(Sorry for the late response, normally I try to answer within a few hours. But this weekend, my brother and his girl are visiting us and I didn't have much time because we are always busy and out.)

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Do you know how many jelly beans I can hold in my mouth at once?

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by pronk View Post
    Do you know how many jelly beans I can hold in my mouth at once?
    No. 48?

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

No. 48?
    I'll get back to you on that one.
    Points Awarded:

zizoudane10 gave pronk 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

will Kings 3peat

No we don't count that half season cup win

CountNo_Account
    The Man, the Myth,the Legend, the Count
    CountNo_Account's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3779

What is technically the difference in German between Bunderwehr, Wehrmact, and Heer? Seriously language wise...literal meaning and implied...

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    will Kings 3peat

No we don't count that half season cup win
    Sure hope so
    Points Awarded:

Vegas39 gave zizoudane10 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by CountNo_Account View Post
    What is technically the difference in German between Bunderwehr, Wehrmact, and Heer? Seriously language wise...
    Wehrmacht was from 1935 until 1946. Since August 1946 it is called Bundeswehr. And the Bundeswehr consists of Heer (army), Luftwaffe (airforce) and Marine (navy).

CountNo_Account

Wehrmacht was from 1935 until 1946. Since August 1946 it is called Bundeswehr. And the Bundeswehr consists of Heer (army), Luftwaffe (airforce) and Marine (navy).

Thank you, yes, but as scweinhund literally means pig dog what literally is the meaning of the Wehrmact, Bundeswehr...Luftwaffe for that matter?

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by CountNo_Account View Post
    Thank you, yes, but as scweinhund literally means pig dog what literally is the meaning of the Wehrmact, Bundeswehr...Luftwaffe for that matter?
    Luftwaffe: Luft=air, waffe=weapon
    Wehrmacht: Wehr= (wehren would be the noun) to fight/fight back, Macht=might/force/power/strength
    Bundeswehr: Bund=federation (Bundes=belonging to the federation), wehr=see above^

CountNo_Account

Luftwaffe: Luft=air, waffe=weapon
    Wehrmacht: Wehr= (wehren would be the noun) to fight/fight back, Macht=might/force/power/strength
    Bundeswehr: Bund=federation (Bundes=belonging to the federation), wehr=see above^

Sincerely thanks.I always wondered about that and now I know...

First 12345 Last