greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I actually went to a restaurant the other day that had the best sushi I've had in a long time. The bill included a 16% tip (no more/no less) which I found to be pretty cool. I didn't have to worry about it and the service was still great as was the food.

If there was a standard service charge for servers it would be a lot easier.
    I can promise you that would not be the case. A vast, and I use that term lightly, majority of servers are high school educated at best and if they know their tip is automatic the service will suffer exponentially. Been managing in the industry for 7 years, if put in a position to make your own tips you work so much harder than if it's automatic. Some of you will agree, when you go out with family or whatnot and the group is large enough for the auto gratuity, the service is not up the same standards than if it were just 4 of you.

Thinking back years and years ago if I didn't leave with 18% of my sales after tipping out the bartender I had a bad day. 16% would have killed me.

greenhippo

That can also be an answer to Pavy's post. Automatic money to servers make them so much lazier.

existential
    existential's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 168545

germany is a shithole

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Quote Originally Posted by existential View Post
    germany is a shithole

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

I like tipping. It's fun to be able to brighten someone's day by giving them a gift that they don't expect. They expect 15%, because that's the standard here in the U.S. and everyone gets it. The food would be more expensive if that wasn't the norm. If you don't want to give them more, you don't have to. That's the power of choice.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
    I like tipping. It's fun to be able to brighten someone's day by giving them a gift that they don't expect. They expect 15%, because that's the standard here in the U.S. and everyone gets it. The food would be more expensive if that wasn't the norm. If you don't want to give them more, you don't have to. That's the power of choice.
    Because time is money especially when you have an hr lunch break. So you finish your lunch. You have to get the waiters attention to get you the bill. You put your card in it. You have to get her attention to pick it up. Then you have to wait until she comes back. Then you have to calculate the damn tip. Then you leave 20 minutes after you finished the last bite and you are 20 min late for work.

Alternately you know how much the bill is from menu price which includes tip. You eat the steak and you leave exactly $25 on the table and go back to work in time.

Yeah it's fukking rocket science to put the tip on the menu price!

Burkina2008
    Burkina2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    America is the best country in the world and everyone wants to live here.
    You should feed off of that.
    And $5 a day is an exaggeration for tipping the cleaning lady in a hotel.
    If you're crying about tipping to begin with, there is ZERO chance you re tipping them that well.
    A buck or 2 is fine.
    It's a token of appreciation for a service you are getting.
    Americans appreciate things, and understand the struggle, bottom line.
    In euro-trash countries it's different.
    They are paid a shit ton more because the country as a whole isn't smart enough to take over a tipping system to help small business owners like ours.
    That's why your food is also 3-4 times as expensive at a decent joint.
    What a joke you are, America is horrible to live in, there is poverty everywhere, you have a dumb illusion of freedom and everytime I come here on business I just count the days to leave. You have zero culture, people on average are uneducated and although I enjoy the cheap shopping sprees because a lot of stuff here is cheaper than in Europe, the fact that the employees are always dumb and completly oblivious to their environment is just frustraiting.
    Example a few years ago I was in NY and I wanted to check out the "Ghostbusters" building in Tribeca. I went to the W part instead of the E part of the street by mistake and I asked people for directions. 4 didnt even know what the Ghostbusters movie was...and this is American "culture"

I never ever leave a tip in hotel room (with the status that I have at Hilton and SPG due to the amount of travelling, if anything is wrong I just complain and get comps and if anything really is bad I just say that the person should be fired and they give me free hotel nights or points) and in restaurants I do just because the company pays what is on the *********** statement

Tipping impoves service? Non-sense. If you paid the waitresses their deserved salary they would do their jobs, if they gave a poor service, they would be fired, like in 99% of the countries in the world

Albert Pujols

Quote Originally Posted by Burkina2008 View Post
    What a joke you are, America is horrible to live in, there is poverty everywhere, you have a dumb illusion of freedom and everytime I come here on business I just count the days to leave. You have zero culture, people on average are uneducated and although I enjoy the cheap shopping sprees because a lot of stuff here is cheaper than in Europe, the fact that the employees are always dumb and completly oblivious to their environment is just frustraiting.
    Example a few years ago I was in NY and I wanted to check out the "Ghostbusters" building in Tribeca. I went to the W part instead of the E part of the street by mistake and I asked people for directions. 4 didnt even know what the Ghostbusters movie was...and this is American "culture"

I never ever leave a tip in hotel room (with the status that I have at Hilton and SPG due to the amount of travelling, if anything is wrong I just complain and get comps and if anything really is bad I just say that the person should be fired and they give me free hotel nights or points) and in restaurants I do just because the company pays what is on the *********** statement

Tipping impoves service? Non-sense. If you paid the waitresses their deserved salary they would do their jobs, if they gave a poor service, they would be fired, like in 99% of the countries in the world
    America has its share of problems, but tipping isn't one of them. That's just the way business is done here, and it's not a big deal. Prices would be higher if workers' pay was taken out of the revenues instead of tips. Making a big deal out of tipping is downright silly. If you don't leave a tip for a hotel maid, that is your right. I get enjoyment out of leaving tips for maids that work a tough job. But it's your choice. Just as it's rude for me to go to France and ask someone a question in English without first saying hello in French, not tipping at a restaurant in the States is rude. If you don't tip when you are not on the company's dime, you should do so. You have to adapt to the culture wherever you are. You can't take your custom into a foreign country and say this is how it's done back home. That is disrepectful.
    Points Awarded:

BennyBigNuts gave Albert Pujols 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BennyBigNuts

Albert Pujols

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Because time is money especially when you have an hr lunch break. So you finish your lunch. You have to get the waiters attention to get you the bill. You put your card in it. You have to get her attention to pick it up. Then you have to wait until she comes back. Then you have to calculate the damn tip. Then you leave 20 minutes after you finished the last bite and you are 20 min late for work.

Alternately you know how much the bill is from menu price which includes tip. You eat the steak and you leave exactly $25 on the table and go back to work in time.

Yeah, well you could always just get up and leave cash that covers the tip and it's all the same, bro. It takes 5 seconds to calculate a tip.

Burkina2008

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
    America has its share of problems, but tipping isn't one of them. That's just the way business is done here, and it's not a big deal. Prices would be higher if workers' pay was taken out of the revenues instead of tips. Making a big deal out of tipping is downright silly. If you don't leave a tip for a hotel maid, that is your right. I get enjoyment out of leaving tips for maids that work a tough job. But it's your choice. Just as it's rude for me to go to France and ask someone a question in English without first saying hello in French, not tipping at a restaurant in the States is rude. If you don't tip when you are not on the company's dime, you should do so. You have to adapt to the culture wherever you are. You can't take your custom into a foreign country and say this is how it's done back home. That is disrepectful.
    Disrespectful is trying to impose your ways of living on other countries: Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam (just to mention a few). If the american branch of my company does not reimburse me for tips (like most of them dont) I am not gonna pay that of my own pocket.
    If you are so happy with tipping for a good service, why dont you tip the police officer for giving you a tip for speeding if he treats you well...he is doing a good job isnt he?

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Disrespectful is trying to impose your ways of living on other countries: Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam (just to mention a few). If the american branch of my company does not reimburse me for tips (like most of them dont) I am not gonna pay that of my own pocket.
    If you are so happy with tipping for a good service, why dont you tip the police officer for giving you a tip for speeding if he treats you well...he is doing a good job isnt he?
    Police are paid a fair wage and are not in the service industry.

I am sure your company pays you a very nice per diem that more than covers your meals including tip while you are in the US. if not, then you got bigger problems.

Burkina2008

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post

I am sure your company pays you a very nice per diem that more than covers your meals including tip while you are in the US. if not, then you got more problems.
    They pay by receipt...as most companies...I think per diem is mainly if you work for state...and I have never been in a hotel where u can put tipping the maids in ur invoice...

And the fact that waitresses do not get a fair salary is the problem...

boeing power

They pay by receipt...as most companies...I think per diem is mainly if you work for state...and I have never been in a hotel where u can put tipping the maids in ur invoice...

And the fact that waitresses do not get a fair salary is the problem...
    Ok, your tip is included in the receipt so your company will pay it.

why the fuss then?

your meal tips are covered by the company.

so your beef is with the maids.....

jeez man give them $2/day or nothing.
    Last edited by boeing power; 07-22-14 at 11:10 AM.

Burkina2008

Is your company paying you a per diem each day you're in the US? If so, how much?
    I already said no, they reinburse the receipts of ur expenses, like almost all companies that are not "state"

boeing power

I already said no, they reinburse the receipts of ur expenses, like almost all companies that are not "state"
    Ya I misread that and edited....I work for an airline and get daily per diem when I'm away.

and the company gives me additional for tipping the shuttle bus drivers.

but my tips on meals I have to pay from my daily per diem.

just the way it is.

boeing power

Btw,

when I'm in Europe I still tip generously and they love it.

The only people that don't want you tipping a lot in Europe are Europeans because they don't want that to become the norm, but I know from experience that the waiters/servers are very appreciative of tips in Europe.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Ghostbusters is not culture. It's a fuking movie. What kind of retard wants to visit and see the "Ghostbusters" building?

You don't want to tip, fine? Now shut the fuk up about it, and go back 'cross the pond, and continue to be the cheap bastard you are.
    Points Awarded:

Albert Pujols gave SamDiamond 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Da Manster!

Burkina2008

Btw,

The only people that don't want you tipping a lot in Europe are Europeans because they don't want that to become the norm, but I know from experience that the waiters/servers are very appreciative of tips in Europe.
    The same way you would love if at the end of the day, ur boss came to you a gave you 20% of what your earn every day just because you were doing your job...

Just because people are happy to recieve it does not make it correct or a good norm. I would like to see what the waiters would do if the restaurant in Europe would pay them 3 euros an hour instead of 10-12 and tell them that everyone would have to tip them...they would start a riot!

boeing power

The same way you would love if at the end of the day, ur boss came to you a gave you 20% of what your earn every day just because you were doing your job...

Just because people are happy to recieve it does not make it correct or a good norm. I would like to see what the waiters would do if the restaurant in Europe would pay them 3 euros an hour instead of 10-12 and tell them that everyone would have to tip them...they would start a riot!
    The bottom line is that no one is forcing you tip.

if you don't want to you don't have to, that's what's great about it.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

I am sure your company pays you a very nice per diem that more than covers your meals including tip while you are in the US. if not, then you got bigger problems.
    That's his argument. Why doesn't the food industry pay fair wage to waiters and include the tip in the menu price? Only the food industry does that. At the end of the day the waiter will get his money. Why is bad if employer pays him directly rather than the customer? Other than it's always been done that way. Think differently!

Albert Pujols

Ok, well then as long as you are okay with being considered an asshole, go ahead and stiff waiters in the US. You win. You can actually get away with not conforming to the customs of the country you are in. But it makes you a dick.

boeing power

That's his argument. Why doesn't the food industry pay fair wage to waiters and include the tip in the menu price? Only the food industry does that. At the end of the day the waiter will get his money. Why is bad if employer pays him directly rather than the customer? Other than it's always been done that way. Think differently!
    It's really a non issue so I'm not gonna argue anymore about it.

It reminds me of the time a bunch of my coworkers were bitching about the brand of bottled water we were getting on our flights.

Until one guy piped up and said we have a lot more issues to worry about than bottled water so stfu and that was the end of that.

MoneyIsWater
    $$$$$$$$$$$$
    MoneyIsWater's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Lol.

Peoples jobs are based off tips here.

Its a service they don't have to do but you honor it.

You're just cheap.

MoneyIsWater
    $$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree though, greed ruins the world.

People are relying on tips for a living, while corporate has already collected what they needed.

It is a bad system.

MoneyIsWater
    $$$$$$$$$$$$

Stfu.

America would destroy any European team in football, basketball, baseball and war.

Fucc you to say its a shithole.

Europe doesn't even have clean water, wells or even working a/c.

You guys don't know how to drive and drive on the wrong side of the car.

Europe is a dump.

People go their to see monuments that are already destroyed just because its "history."

You guys don't have clean teeth or hygiene either.

But remember this everyone.....

American culture is relevelant to Ghostbusters.

Haha

MoneyIsWater
    $$$$$$$$$$$$

America isn't disrepesctful.

We as a country value life, and try to impose other countries to give EVERY human being a freedom.

You are just some pompous ass that would shit a brick and doesn't value what you have.

You obviously take things for granted.

You're a sick human too think that we are disrespectful. There are people that sign up in this country to hopefully one day have freedom.

What disrespectful is throwing beliefs on one another. Killing people over it. That's why there is war, not because of America.

Burkina2008

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyIsWater View Post
    America isn't disrepesctful.

We as a country value life, and try to impose other countries to give EVERY human being a freedom.

You are just some pompous ass that would shit a brick and doesn't value what you have.

You obviously take things for granted.

You're a sick human too think that we are disrespectful. There are people that sign up in this country to hopefully one day have freedom.

What disrespectful is throwing beliefs on one another. Killing people over it. That's why there is war, not because of America.
    "We as a country value life, and try to impose other countries to give EVERY human being a freedom." as long as they have oil or any other natural resource the american corperations need... why are not in Sudan or CAR or Rwanda or even in Israel...the first three are way down on the "freedoms" list than Iraq...

Haha Americans really dont have a clue of what is happening outside their hometown let alone the world...

Burkina2008

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyIsWater View Post
    Stfu.

America would destroy any European team in football, basketball, baseball and war.

Fucc you to say its a shithole.

Europe doesn't even have clean water, wells or even working a/c.

You guys don't know how to drive and drive on the wrong side of the car.

Europe is a dump.

People go their to see monuments that are already destroyed just because its "history."

You guys don't have clean teeth or hygiene either.

But remember this everyone.....

American culture is relevelant to Ghostbusters.

Haha
    You clearly never been to Europe...another showing of how uncultured american people are in general

Dude:
    - Even in Belarus has clean water
    - Wells? Do you mean stuff that we had in the mediavel times?
    - A/Cs work wherever you go unless you are in some shithole in eastern europe
    - 99% of monuments are not destroyed, once again you show absolultly zero culture
    - Only Ireland and the UK drive on the other side of the road in europe. (Japan, Australia, SOuth Africa also do but they are not part of europe)
    - Clean teeth? Dude we dont have homeless that smell like shit and here healthcare is free.
    - Yeah if I knew there was something touristic in the NY guides 300 ft from where I live/work, I would probably know it but people in the US in general are completly oblivious to their suroundings...

capone1899
    capone1899's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    America is the best country in the world and everyone wants to live here.

100% guarantee this guy has never been out of the USA
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Burkina2008

greenhippo

It seems it is rocket science to you as it takes you 20 minutes to calculate a tip. Jesus christ guy.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Btw,

Yeah I was that guy in Thailand tipping everybody.....until it was explained to me over a few changs at a bar that YOU and I are killing it for the locals in my case killing it for expats.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    It seems it is rocket science to you as it takes you 20 minutes to calculate a tip. Jesus christ guy.

Pavy doesn't get out much. Imagine this.... if I am in a rush... I actually will remind the waitstaff to please bring my bill so I can pay promptly and leave.

They do it.

And, the really tricky part is the tip math for Pavy. It's 2014. Download the one of 20 penetrating thousand apps that will do it for you Pavy. They're free.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post

Pavy doesn't get out much. Imagine this.... if I am in a rush... I actually will remind the waitstaff to please bring my bill so I can pay promptly and leave.

They do it.

And, the really tricky part is the tip math for Pavy. It's 2014. Download the one of 20 penetrating thousand apps that will do it for you Pavy. They're free.
    Ah you both seem to miss the point. By putting the tip in the menu price you eliminate stiffing the waiter.

SamDiamond

Ah you both seem to miss the point. By putting the tip in the menu price you eliminate stiffing the waiter.
    Pavy.... you were complaining about the time it takes to get your bill, calculate the tip, pay, and get out.

Did you forget that part?

Suppose the tip is fixed in.

Would that speed up the process you described?

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2774

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    Ghostbusters is not culture. It's a fuking movie. What kind of retard wants to visit and see the "Ghostbusters" building?

You don't want to tip, fine? Now shut the fuk up about it, and go back 'cross the pond, and continue to be the cheap bastard you are.
    My sentiments exactly...short, sweet, and to the point!...

First 12345 ... Last