Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Can cops stop you on the street for no reason?

Can cops just stop you while your walking on the street and start harassing you, asking for ID and all this info without any evidence/suspicious activity?

What if I refuse to speak the cops, say that I only talk to cops with my lawyer present, is that legal?

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

yes

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

fight the power

starfire
    starfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1130

Dont dress like a WannaBe Gangster...

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Yes
    Welcome to the world where private-for profit-prisons are allowed to contribute to the campaign funds of the lawmakers who make the rules

MB
    MB's Avatar Become A Pro!

YuP. They would **** with me every single day. The day I refused was the day they beat my ass, took me to jail and charged me with a felony ( assault on an officer). At least thTs how they do it in Daygo

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

No, they need reasonable suspicion.

See: the Fourth Amendment

You can file a motion to suppress if the cops find any incriminating evidence on you if they search you in violation of the Fourth Amendment.

Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    No, they need reasonable suspicion.

See: the Fourth Amendment

You can file a motion to suppress if the cops find any incriminating evidence on you if they search you in violation of the Fourth Amendment.
    they'll make shit up...say they saw a bulge in his pants

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Innings View Post
    Bingo.

Or "matched a description"

Iced

That doesn't constitute reasonable suspicion and wouldn't hold up in court.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Do you want Iowa ML +400?

Extra Innings

That doesn't constitute reasonable suspicion and wouldn't hold up in court.
    a judgement that someone was carrying a concealed weapon

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Yes

They can ask for ID and search you at any time if they feel their "safety" or safety of others is in jeopardy.

Extra Innings

Reasonable suspicion is a legal standard of proof in United States law that is less than probable cause, the legal standard for arrests and warrants, but more than an "inchoate and unparticularized suspicion or 'hunch' "; it must be based on "specific and articulable facts", "taken together with rational inferences from those facts". Police may briefly detain a person if they have reasonable suspicion that the person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity; such a detention is known as a Terry stop. If police additionally have reasonable suspicion that a person so detained may be armed, they may "frisk" the person for weapons, but not for contraband like drugs. Reasonable suspicion is evaluated using the "reasonable person" or "reasonable officer" standard, in which said person in the same circumstances could reasonably believe a person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity; it depends upon the totality of circumstances, and can result from a combination of particular facts, even if each is individually innocuous.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the cop would have to say is the guy looked nervous and quickly stuffed something into his mouth when he saw him.

Iced

a judgement that someone was carrying a concealed weapon
    Alleged bulges in pants does not constitute reasonable suspicion of carrying a concealed weapon. There's a slew of solid facts that police would need to stop a person on the street, they can't just make stuff up.

Iced

All the cop would have to say is the guy looked nervous and quickly stuffed something into his mouth when he saw him.
    Hearsay. If this were all that is required for reasonable suspicion, then motions to suppress would never pass.

starfire
    starfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1130

To me?
    If you are not doing AnyThing Wrong...
    Cops will not Harrass u

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by starfire View Post
    To me?
    If you are not doing AnyThing Wrong...
    Cops will not Harrass u

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

No. But if they ask and you consent to a search, they can do whatever they want. Know your rights.

Salmon Steak
    Salmon Steak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

They will bash your face in for no reason. My dad knew this pastor who was trying to stop these off duty cops from pounding this guy. They put the holy man in the hospital... broke his face. Orbital bone if I remember right.

Flight
    Update your status
    Flight's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon Steak View Post
    They will bash your face in for no reason. My dad knew this pastor who was trying to stop these off duty cops from pounding this guy. They put the holy man in the hospital... broke his face. Orbital bone if I remember right.
    I lol'd

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

They do what the hell they want and then we have to hash it out in court (i.e. they will tell you that you are not detained, i.e. triggering right to counsel, but at the same time you are not free to leave).

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Boy View Post
    Can cops just stop you while your walking on the street and start harassing you, asking for ID and all this info without any evidence/suspicious activity?

Yes

If you don't have a valid id you can be detained. Once detained, you can be "lost in the system" for days.

Reasonable suspicion is as easy to create as anything.

That's the way it is. Get over it or move to another country.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

Free country

Use your head. dont challenge cops.

tcmoody99
    tcmoody99's Avatar Become A Pro!

**** the police. rule of sbr

BigDan
    BigDan's Avatar Become A Pro!

No, they need reasonable suspicion. See: the Fourth Amendment You can file a motion to suppress if the cops find any incriminating evidence on you if they search you in violation of the Fourth Amendment.
    EI aint lying, you would like to think that shit wouldnt hold up in court but fukk around and get the wrong judge and doesnt matter wtf happened, you'll here this "they found something so they must have had a reason" shit mentality. Sure you can fight from there but that could have you tied up w/o bond on appeal for years.

It really hard to beat these sorry pricks anymore, see minet123 post #5 that about sums it up.

Moral of the story, when you on the streets you better have your shit in order. Or learn to dash, duck, and hide behind a tree.

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

Police can usually engineer a reason to stop you.

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

90% of cops are crooked. Their word is always taken over the suspects. I have been a defendant in a few cases and have cops lie directly to the judges face and I could do nothing but sit there and laugh at the joke the system is. Let the judge know the truth and that I knew it made no difference because he was playing for the other team. Can't tell if the judges actually believe these bogus story tellers or if they just want you locked up to make money for the state and county. The "claim" the government loses money on inmates is absolutely absurd and untrue as well. I knew a kid who got stopped for jaywalking and ended up getting beaten and arrested for "assaulting n officer" and doing a little time because he would not hand over his ID for the bogus harrasment. Who got busted up and who left without a mark? Think we all know the answer. The system is unfixable but something that we live with every day. The opinion that don't do anything wrong and you will be fine is bogus also. I put myself in bad situations and dealt with the consequences but I know many people who were innocent or set up and did some real time.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jjgold

marinagmendes
    marinagmendes's Avatar Become A Pro!

it depends, are you white or are you black? sad but true

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Quote Originally Posted by topgame85 View Post
    90% of cops are crooked. Their word is always taken over the suspects. I have been a defendant in a few cases and have cops lie directly to the judges face and I could do nothing but sit there and laugh at the joke the system is. Let the judge know the truth and that I knew it made no difference because he was playing for the other team. Can't tell if the judges actually believe these bogus story tellers or if they just want you locked up to make money for the state and county. The "claim" the government loses money on inmates is absolutely absurd and untrue as well. I knew a kid who got stopped for jaywalking and ended up getting beaten and arrested for "assaulting n officer" and doing a little time because he would not hand over his ID for the bogus harrasment. Who got busted up and who left without a mark? Think we all know the answer. The system is unfixable but something that we live with every day. The opinion that don't do anything wrong and you will be fine is bogus also. I put myself in bad situations and dealt with the consequences but I know many people who were innocent or set up and did some real time.
    Every time I see you post it brings a smile to my face. I am so happy you finally made the decision to stop getting locked up. It does nothing but bring heart ache to your family and your loving girlfriend that has stuck by you time and time again during your time locked up. It might of taken you a while to realize it but you know that life is very good on the outside and you are a contributing member to society now. Nice to have you back Topper!

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just ask a brown american citizen in Arizona what the cops can do with no fukin reason
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: LostBankroll, MadTiger, and 8ArIvd5

housecloud
    housecloud's Avatar Become A Pro!

jail food sucks!

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

Flyer is a class act

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Text book policing has gone out the window years ago. There's so many loop holes they can use to stop you, it isn't even funny. One thing that you don't what to happen is have a cop shoot for no reason and saying it's an accident later on. Chances are they will still get away with that. Driving a newer or luxury like car does help you from being stop.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: excel

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

yes, they can do whatever they want

123 Last