ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Commentary on poker-strategy books

I've browsed several poker-books. Was reading the poker-section at GBC the other day. I can say that I've gained knowledge from 2 books:

1) Phil Gordon's Green Book.
    2) Elky's tournament book.

...Those 2 books gave me some things to think about. Thought-provoking, worth the purchase.

Most of the books I look at, however, are just not very good. They try to lay out rules and simplify the approach. The best way to learn poker is thru experience, imho.

Was reading Harrington + Slotboom. They advocate such a tight-style that I just don't think one can be successful. As if u just wait for AA and watch your opponents send their chips your way.

One observation I'd have is that player telegraph their hands. If standard raise is 2.5x and they raise 4.5x, they're holding a premium hand. If you can't match/beat them, don't donate to them.

After flop, same thing. If standard bet is 1/2 pot and they raise full-pot, they have a monster. Most players are straight-fwd, don't donate to them.

Ballerholic
    Ballerholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1806

yea very true. As I move up the limits (25NL) I notice that players are still playing very straight forward. Occasionally you get your maniacs and guys who bluff, but most of the time that isn't the case. That's why bluffing is so effective, because most people just are not bluffing. Which is also a good reason to start overbetting river/turns. Now against your fish/calling stations DO NOT BLUFF. Also, I recommend the The grinders manual. I've been reading that and it really teaches you how to properly go thru your thought process at the table. Also, two professional poker players I know play 30+vpip. But you really have to know what you're doing for that.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    I've browsed several poker-books. Was reading the poker-section at GBC the other day. I can say that I've gained knowledge from 2 books:

1) Phil Gordon's Green Book.
    2) Elky's tournament book.

...Those 2 books gave me some things to think about. Thought-provoking, worth the purchase.

Most of the books I look at, however, are just not very good. They try to lay out rules and simplify the approach. The best way to learn poker is thru experience, imho.

Was reading Harrington + Slotboom. They advocate such a tight-style that I just don't think one can be successful. As if u just wait for AA and watch your opponents send their chips your way.

One observation I'd have is that player telegraph their hands. If standard raise is 2.5x and they raise 4.5x, they're holding a premium hand. If you can't match/beat them, don't donate to them.

After flop, same thing. If standard bet is 1/2 pot and they raise full-pot, they have a monster. Most players are straight-fwd, don't donate to them.
    when i won a trip to the wsop academy back in 08 or so on the old espn poker site, part of the wsop package was a phil gordon dvd on trny poker; had many very good tips/strategy..... his simple gap concept, for example, has kept me from donkin' off chips hundreds of times....

i just threw out an old card player mag that had "elky's toutnament tips" as one of the main articles.... I'd like to see his book for sure. and gordons....

another bad ass watch, and one of my instructors at the academy, was joe navarro's dvd (it's all over youtube, i think).... my fav tell to this day is when someone bluffs a pot and rakes it, the "quick sticking out of the tongue", indicating they got away with something..... it's a subconscience thing humans do; saw cliff josephy do it twice during the final days of the nov 9 after blowin Nugyen off hands while raking the pot....

that's why you watch not only before the hand is done, but after as well....

when in vegas, as most any pro I play with pegs me as an amateur, i give out as many "false tells" as I can.... one guy called me out on it during a break in a wsop nightly mtt, saying "you got me good with that shit".... I said what? he says "touching and stroking your face when you had a f'n boat"....
    Last edited by Auto Donk; 11-11-16 at 05:50 AM.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I still have about 250-300 PDF books on an external hard drive and my old laptop. Still may have access to a site to get more
    Most of what I have on the old laptop is at least 3-4 years old
    I see people putting an ROI on time now. Like if I bust here I can use the time I'd be playing to do something else.
    email me if interested in those pdfs

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1724

Poker books = Sports touts

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I used to watch videos all the time. most of them I thought were full of shit and still charged like $100/hr for coaching. Balugawhale and I think krantz were the best 2 I remember. some great stuff there

balugawhale wrote a book and tried to sell it for like $1,000 didn't he??

RudyRuetigger

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    how many betpoints? lol

dane, if you have any stuff you think is still relevant and pretty good, i'd be interested in getting it.....

I may go shop for belugawale used on ebay.... probably 10 bucks there

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26319

Only book I have ever read was Collin Moshman's Heads Up No Limit Holdem, very good book. But these these with so many training videos out there I am too lazy to read a book

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Charging Up laptop. Will try to post what I have.

i know I have that $1000 novelty let there be range

best one I have for cash is probably poker blueprint

RudyRuetigger

really no reason to learn poker these days

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post