Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Poker popularity picking up again

Set my alarm to wake up 2 hours before the 3pm tourney (5am here) so I could register and the bugger was already full.

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

We need a 5th early morning tournament, 10am EST is what it used to be (I believe). All 4 have been routinely filling and that hits another time slot for people who prefer it. Seen a few posters saying they can't play any of the current ones but would play again if there was an early morning tournament.

Grivas_Digeni
    Mini Horses FTW
    Grivas_Digeni's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23436

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post
    We need a 5th early morning tournament, 10am EST is what it used to be (I believe). All 4 have been routinely filling and that hits another time slot for people who prefer it. Seen a few posters saying they can't play any of the current ones but would play again if there was an early morning tournament.
    How many posters would *pay* to play the other early morning T?

astro61200

Quote Originally Posted by Grivas_Digeni View Post
    How many posters would *pay* to play the other early morning T?
    What's the obsession with paying to play in the tournament? I've never understood it.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Astro, is that Herb Crook in your avatar?

dogracin
    dogracin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6199

8 AM for all the late night working stiffs.

onerous
    onerous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

I always loved the 10am.. i would agree for even earlier but the 10am seemed to work out well for everyone so id pay to see that come back for sure.

Grivas_Digeni
    Mini Horses FTW

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post
    What's the obsession with paying to play in the tournament? I've never understood it.
    Larger prize pools. Smaller fields. Possibly more room for bluffing.

astro61200

They used to charge, but it didn't make the prize pools any larger (and you had people complaining that they spent real points to win poker points). Smaller fields, possibly, but could also just extend the blinds out an extra 2 minutes OR start off with 2500 instead of 1500. The issue is people complain it takes too long if you make it more skill based, compared to luck based (catching good hands/hitting the community cards)

When tournaments fill I cash, maybe, 33% of the time but when there are smaller fields (32-34ish) I do much better. I believe Jake was the only person who had more points in the final 2 months of the last promo, when tournaments were starting with 32ish players.

40 person turbos favor aggressive players, if you slow blinds down/raise starting stacks then it allows more room for other styles.

So, yes, it would achieve all of those things but so many people are afraid to use their points (they'd rather blow them 12 at a time in the book, ex SNGs rarely fill with anyone besides the same 8-9 people) that it could result in extremely low turnouts and them removing the 9pm or stopping promos all together until they make them free again, but don't bring back the other tournaments they discarded. Then you have tournaments filling hours before and making it impossible to get a spot if you aren't staring at the computer when they open.

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

SBR tried a more skill-based payout structure that was still free but rewarded poker skill the same way as a standard tournament, instead of the participation-based payout schedule in place before and after. Most people complained about it, and SBR went back to the "show up and cash" structure.

It's pretty simple situation: SBR poker playing population is mainly composed of people who will not play if they have to fund a significant portion of the prize pool themselves; with several notable exceptions, most realize that they're -EV and won't put their points in to a neutral structure. That's not an environment that's conducive to developing even a semi-serious poker environment. It's not a terrible thing...makes it pretty easy for the better players to win a bunch of points and not have to try all that hard to do it.

bobbywaves
    bobbywaves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 960

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_D_Bet View Post
    SBR poker playing population is mainly composed of people who will not play if they have to fund a significant portion of the prize pool themselves; with several notable exceptions, most realize that they're -EV and won't put their points in to a neutral structure.
    Who are the "notable exceptions?"

sinmiedo
    sinmiedo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

it is getting hard for me to get back to speed, and with many new good players that are unknown ( for the time been ), it is matter of time.
    I will catch up in the leader board and put a good fight.
    As per the complainers here, are all the same, bad beat rules internet poker, and especially here because is free, I many times do stupid things too, going at it in an over aggressive mode, part of the problem that i developed playing online and freerolling; those bad habits are the ones that generate a lot of complains.
    gl to all sin.

Grivas_Digeni
    Mini Horses FTW

I meant charging for entry and adding all those points to prize pool. Possibly allow poker point buy ins into tournaments and/or sit&gos?

And I'm all against more skill based structure. I'm all for tournaments ending within 60 minutes, it's one of the reasons I've been semi successful at SBR Poker and also the main reason I'm unable to catch a break recently. My luck has run out, sort of.