PhilTheTHRILL
    PhilTheTHRILL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 142

PTT Poker Hand Discussion 2

Hey Guys, another hand I wanted to check with you guys on.

Playing in the Bovada 15K GTD. about 65 of the 600 enrolled still in play. 55 People get paid.

The hand prior to the hand we will be discussing I had about 8 BB and got dealt QQ. Naturally I shove pre flop and get called by a monster stack for a successful double up. to about 19 BB

Very next hand I'm dealt A10 suited. I'm UTG+1.

The Villain is UTG and has a monster stack. He has been raising pretty much every hand pre-flop putting pressure on the small stacks. Several times I saw him min raised in early position, get shoved on by a small stack where he'd be getting about 3-1 on a call and he folds. The rest of the table action has been pretty passive with several short stacks.

What's your move? Do you need more info?

sinmiedo
    sinmiedo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

3 bet, or push. Simple!!!! you are ahead almost all the time, if no one call before you.

PhilTheTHRILL

Quote Originally Posted by sinmiedo View Post
    3 bet, or push. Simple!!!! you are ahead almost all the time, if no one call before you.
    A 3 Bet in this situation would have been for about 15-16K or so. About 35% of my stack.

Let's say I 3 bet, he 4 bets or shoves.. Then How you you feel with A10?

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTheTHRILL View Post

Playing in the Bovada 15K GTD. about 65 of the 600 enrolled still in play. 55 People get paid.

The hand prior to the hand we will be discussing I had about 8 BB and got dealt QQ. Naturally I shove pre flop and get called by a monster stack for a successful double up. to about 19 BB

The Villain is UTG and has a monster stack. He has been raising pretty much every hand pre-flop putting pressure on the small stacks. Several times I saw him min raised in early position, get shoved on by a small stack where he'd be getting about 3-1 on a call and he folds. The rest of the table action has been pretty passive with several short stacks.

How much did he raise preflop? How many people were at the table? Are blinds going to be increasing soon, is it 10 min blinds again?

AT is a decent hand, but nothing great. If it was a min raise, since you said he was doing that a lot, then you have the option of calling or reraising. I don't like the idea of pushing, it serves no purpose. If you push here then, best case, you're going against something like KQ or KJ and you're only 58/42 fav. Worst case, he has you murdered with AJ/Q/K.

A 3 bet here could scare him off, or if he's a calling station build the pot up. Depends if you've seen 3 bets be called by him or not. The option of calling is a little more passive, but if it's a min raise or a smaller raise then might not hurt to see a flop.

Due to the bubble being so close, and him being aggressive, I'd 3 bet here. That allows you to get away from it later. Pushing, IMO, is the worst option.

PhilTheTHRILL

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post
    How much did he raise preflop? How many people were at the table? Are blinds going to be increasing soon, is it 10 min blinds again?

AT is a decent hand, but nothing great. If it was a min raise, since you said he was doing that a lot, then you have the option of calling or reraising. I don't like the idea of pushing, it serves no purpose. If you push here then, best case, you're going against something like KQ or KJ and you're only 58/42 fav. Worst case, he has you murdered with AJ/Q/K.

A 3 bet here could scare him off, or if he's a calling station build the pot up. Depends if you've seen 3 bets be called by him or not. The option of calling is a little more passive, but if it's a min raise or a smaller raise then might not hurt to see a flop.

Due to the bubble being so close, and him being aggressive, I'd 3 bet here. That allows you to get away from it later. Pushing, IMO, is the worst option.
    Blinds were 1500/3000 he nearly min raised with 6 thousand and some change. The new level had just started. (this was 2 hands following a break). So another 8-9 minutes or so i think. I've seen him mostly fold to 3-bets and shoves, however. Times he's called he's shown down with solids hand. ie. he's not calling super light.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

It all depends on how deep 19bb is at this point. Are you an average stack or still near the bottom? No shame in laying down a marginal hand this close to the money unless you're still really short compared to the rest of the runners and might still miss the bubble.

PhilTheTHRILL

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    It all depends on how deep 19bb is at this point. Are you an average stack or still near the bottom? No shame in laying down a marginal hand this close to the money unless you're still really short compared to the rest of the runners and might still miss the bubble.
    At this point I had about 40K and average stack was 43K I think. I was in the middle of the pack at this point.

SharpAngles

At this point I had about 40K and average stack was 43K I think. I was in the middle of the pack at this point.
    Fold.

You can't win the tournament with this hand in this spot but you sure as hell can go busto.

Way better spots than EP 3 betting A10 will be available later.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

There are times to be aggressive and make plays on the bubble...I don't think this is one of them. If you're a little later in position or in the blinds, a case could be made for pushing, but ATs in UTG +1 at a full table isn't strong enough to make a move. Only hands stronger than ATs are calling and you're folding out everything you beat. The risk isn't worth the reward. Fold and wait for a better spot, even with the aggressive lag.

astro61200

Blinds were 1500/3000 he nearly min raised with 6 thousand and some change. The new level had just started. (this was 2 hands following a break). So another 8-9 minutes or so i think. I've seen him mostly fold to 3-bets and shoves, however. Times he's called he's shown down with solids hand. ie. he's not calling super light.
    Then I'd 3 bet.. If he folds to 3 bets and shoves then no point in risking all your chips when you could get the same outcome with a 3 bet. If he has a hand, he's calling/raising a 3 bet or calling an all in but you know he has something so you can get away from it. If you push and he has a hand you're probably done. If he is making a move he folds either way.

astro61200

Though I wouldn't have an issue with folding either. I prefer the 3 bet because I prefer playing aggressive around the bubble because people are so tight trying to cash. Also, like I said in the other one, I like to try and build a stack around the bubble due to the tightness of players and to put yourself in a solid position to take the tournament down instead of min cash.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Provided I'm reading this correctly... blinds were 1500/3000, he had 40k the utg raised to 6000ish. What is he going to 3bet to that would allow him to get away from the hand? 16000? If someone jams that has you covered, can you leave that on the table and fold? That would hurt. Aggro UTG is almost certainly going to call, and then you're probably going to whiff the flop and be put in a tough spot. If you think a 3bet looks stronger than a shove and it would fold out more hands, then maaaybe...but that may be getting too fancy than we need to be and you better be ready to get the majority or all of your chips in during the hand.

PhilTheTHRILL

Well, in that spot I wound up 3-betting him solely because of the way I've seen him playing.

Action folded all the way back to the Villain. He tanked literally the entire amount of time he could tank. Then sends out a min 4-bet.
    I thought about it a while and then folded. At which time he showed KK.

Must be nice to have such a dominating stack and get dealt KK UTG. lol

Went on to double up 1 more time and get into the second level of the money. About 175 or so. Really wanted to get the final table because 1st was over 5K but couldn't get anything going after my final double up and basically ante'd / blinded out and had to shove with A rag.

I'm happy with the progress.

PhilTheTHRILL

I don't by any way think what I did was the right play. Which is why I posted here for feedback.
    I honestly should've just folded that hand considering I double up with pocket QQ literally the one hand before this. Shoulda just cooled off.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Auto Donk

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Action folded all the way back to the Villain. He tanked literally the entire amount of time he could tank. Then sends out a min 4-bet.
    As played, when he does this you know you are toast. He might as well just turn the cards over at that point. On Bovada, when guys throw out the min 4bet, you're looking at KK-AA about 99 out of 100 times and a misclick on the other.

astro61200

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Provided I'm reading this correctly... blinds were 1500/3000, he had 40k the utg raised to 6000ish. What is he going to 3bet to that would allow him to get away from the hand? 16000? If someone jams that has you covered, can you leave that on the table and fold? That would hurt. Aggro UTG is almost certainly going to call, and then you're probably going to whiff the flop and be put in a tough spot. If you think a 3bet looks stronger than a shove and it would fold out more hands, then maaaybe...but that may be getting too fancy than we need to be and you better be ready to get the majority or all of your chips in during the hand.
    He said he had about 19BB, so 57k. I think you can raise to 15k here and still comfortably fold it.

astro61200

Well, in that spot I wound up 3-betting him solely because of the way I've seen him playing.

Must be nice to have such a dominating stack and get dealt KK UTG. lol

Went on to double up 1 more time and get into the second level of the money. About 175 or so. Really wanted to get the final table because 1st was over 5K but couldn't get anything going after my final double up and basically ante'd / blinded out and had to shove with A rag.

I'm happy with the progress.
    That's exactly how I would have played it, based on his aggressive nature and the spot in the tournament where there are plenty of reasons to think it's a play.

As dane said, once that 4-bet came out it was obvious he really REAALLLY wanted you to call. Exactly why I thought pushing was a terrible idea when sin gave that as an option.

Even aggressive players will get hands, and their style of play helps mask that because it looks like what they've been doing. You could have folded without the 3 bet, but I prefer it based on how he was playing. He woke up with a hand, it happens, but you still had plenty of chips left so no harm.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Something isn't jiving then. 19bb may have been the level before? He said he had 40k chips. Having 57,000 opens things up a little

astro61200

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Something isn't jiving then. 19bb may have been the level before? He said he had 40k chips. Having 57,000 opens things up a little
    In the OP he said he had 9BB and doubled up with QQ to 19BB.. So I was under the impression he had ~57k or so

If he had 40BB, then yes I'd fold without the 3 bet, because (like you said) he'd be losing half his stack with a 3 bet

PhilTheTHRILL

Exact numbers might be off here a bit. Must've been in the 50K's. I know the fold after the 3 Bet didn't leave me completely crippled.

SharpAngles

Not 3 betting here but thought this was funny...

***** Hand history (v1.2) *****
    Hand ID 5187979
    $0 + $6 Texas Hold'em (No Limit) - 15:41:00 14/07/2015 ET
    Table 'Table 62244', 10 seats max, Real money
    Seat 1 is the button. Small Blind $75, Big Blind $150
    Note: seat IDs range from 1 to 10
    Seat 1 (playing) : Soxsfan9, amount $1075, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 2 (playing) : Mannyfan, amount $1440, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 3 (playing) : sammygran, amount $2565, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 4 (playing) : bet_that_all, amount $2300, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 5 (playing) : SharpAngles, amount $3182, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 6 (playing) : dare, amount $4160, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 7 (playing) : BIG, amount $2283, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 9 (playing) : thetrinity, amount $1651, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 10 (playing) : philthethrill, amount $2092, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Mannyfan: Small Blind ($75)
    sammygran: Big Blind ($150)
    ** Dealing Down Cards **
    Dealt to SharpAngles: [Tc, Ac]
    bet_that_all: Fold
    SharpAngles: Raise ($450)
    dare: Fold
    BIG: Fold
    thetrinity: Fold
    philthethrill: Raise ($2092)
    Soxsfan9: Fold
    Mannyfan: Fold
    sammygran: Fold
    SharpAngles: Fold [btn] ($0)
    ** End Round **
    ** Evaluate **
    philthethrill: Muck ($0)
    ** Showdown **
    Main pot $2767, Rake $0
    Summary philthethrill: bet $2092, won $2767, net $675, won $2767 from main pot
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JAKEPEAVY21

PhilTheTHRILL

Hand ID 5187979
    ** Dealing Down Cards **
    ** End Round **
    ** Evaluate **
    ** Showdown **
    Main pot $2767, Rake $0
    For all of those who didn't know. I had KK in this hand.

STAX
    STAX's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just fold the AT preflop... easy decision. You have too many players left behind to act, and you arent ahead of original raiser's range anyways, even if he is lagging it up. I would fold AJ/KQ/22-66 in this spot too. AQ/AK/77-AA I'm flatting most of the time, and really only ever 3betting here with QQ-AA and occassionally air, maybe AK sometimes. If you have a monster, its a great spot to flat preflop to try and induce a squeeze play from the rest of the table. Plus, its just a really spewey spot to be 3betting pre if we plan on folding to a jam... unless we have a rock solid read the original raiser is folding, and even in that case we have to get through the entire table behind us. Would be nice to know the chip stacks behind us, does 3betting price us in vrs anyone? If you do have a nice read on the opener in a spot like this and decide to get frisky, make sure you size your 3bet right... make it small to look like you want a call. Also leaves you more room to bluff multiple streets. You dont wanna bet too big and price him into calling before all the cards are out.

STAX

Hand ID 5187979
    ** Dealing Down Cards **
    ** End Round **
    ** Evaluate **
    ** Showdown **
    Main pot $2767, Rake $0
    Ur raising to much preflop... raising to 325-350 accomplishes the same thing

PhilTheTHRILL

Quote Originally Posted by STAX View Post
    Ur raising to much preflop... raising to 325-350 accomplishes the same thing
    Giving Sharp that price on SBR poker with an A10 suited? No way. Sharp calling me there equates to flop being K, 10, 10.. Then we both get it in and here comes: Turn A, River A and I'm sent packing. You know better STAX.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

of course we need more info.... you don't even tell us what he does.... did he limp, raise, shove, or fold? assuming he made any move, lay it down; you're programmed to lose this hand no matter what you have on blowvada, as you just doubled up the hand before.....

edit: hahah... i posted the shit above having read only ur first post, and no other.......

tell me I don't know what a rigged, programmed p o shit site blowvada is...... fkin' ridiculous that anyone on the f'n planet can think that shithole site is legit.......

not saying you shouldn't play it, just know it's rigged and adjust your play accordingly.........
    Last edited by Auto Donk; 07-16-15 at 10:52 AM.

STAX

Giving Sharp that price on SBR poker with an A10 suited? No way. Sharp calling me there equates to flop being K, 10, 10.. Then we both get it in and here comes: Turn A, River A and I'm sent packing. You know better STAX.
    i was talking to Sharp, not you. he 3x it preflop when 2.2x it would accomplish the same thing.

STAX

Phil- I like your attitude when it comes to poker. Ill be honest, you aren't the greatest from what I have seen... but you have a willingness to learn and a passion for the game. Keep posting hands like this and request feedback, its the #1 way to imrove your game. Ive been playing for 12 years and I used to be horrible at MTTs.... then I joined a training site, and I got really good. The #1 way to get good is to post hands for feedback, and also to give your own feedback on others' hand histories.

One tip for posting hand histories... go to the handhistory portion and copy/paste the entire hand in a thread. Go to the spot where you have a question about and erase the rest of the hand history, and then ask "What would you do?" Also post the buy in amount, how many are left, how many get paid, villian's image, your image, etc. That way everyone giving feedback can put themselves in the exact spot you are in. There is never just one correct way to play a hand... sometimes there are multiple ways, sometimes there is one way better than another...

PM me your skype name, and maybe I will ghost you some time. I've played 10,000+ MTT tournaments in my life and was even a low/mid stakes pro for 2 years right before black friday. It is essential to be able to play multiple styles in today's MTT environment, I can help you with it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SharpAngles

SharpAngles

In this hand yes I could have lost less but I didn't exactly want a flop and 2.5 invites the blinds along with a wide range.

STAX

In this hand yes I could have lost less but I didn't exactly want a flop and 2.5 invites the blinds along with a wide range.
    No offense but this is a standard donk response... please don't take my criticism the wrong way.

Actually, you should be fine with taking a flop in position with the best hand. If you dont have the best hand, your opponent will let you know by 3betting, in which case you lose less.

SharpAngles

Excuse me sir, but I am far from a standard donk....I happen to be an ultra exotic Z-Donk bred from the strongest African Giant Zebras. Here's me with my pal on the way to Winnin o' the Green at the Bike last year....took that bitch down and got this small blurb in CardPlayer

SharpAngles is a Grant Zebra crossed with a Standard Donkey.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

SharpAngles

Quote Originally Posted by STAX View Post

Actually, you should be fine with taking a flop in position with the best hand. If you dont have the best hand, your opponent will let you know by 3betting, in which case you lose less.
    tbh this is a no for me usually because most around here know I'm cbetting every flop and I mostly get calls from huge hands, then c/r'd flop or c/call big bet turn to trap me. Tellin ya its hard being a Z-Donk around here, everyones solid.

SharpAngles

Quote Originally Posted by BiTeMe UsAdOj View Post

My sister is off limits pal

EDIT: oh thats me, we're both so fkn sexy it's hard to tell sometimes. Now I'm a little creeped

SharpAngles

If you think we're hot you should see my cousin Gravy. We're really proud of him

Gravy is the Z-donk out in the pasture.
    Gravy is a cross between a Grevy Zebra and a Standard Donkey.
    Both Z-donks are a pleasure, as both were bottle raised by my husband and I. We also show them every chance we get. Gravy won the "National Champion" Zebra Hybrid Title at the 2003 Cheers For Ears Show in Virginia!

12 Last