PhilTheTHRILL
    PhilTheTHRILL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 142

Poker Hand Discussion

Playing on Bovada in the 5K guaranteed.

I'm sitting at about 9K in chips. (30 BB)

I'm UTG and get dealt AQ suited. I raise 3X UTG.

Action folds to short stack in MP who shoves for about 10 BB. (3K or so)

Action fold to the Button who cold calls the all in from MP. (the button is almost identical in chip stack to me).

SB and BB fold and action is on me.

Call the 2100 chips? Fold? re shove all in?

Thoughts?

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

call

hand has flop potential so you dont have to win it right now
    and you can still get out w minimum damage if things go bad on the flop

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

assuming youre deep in the tourney

if its early fold

PhilTheTHRILL

I'll wait to hear more insight and then say what goes down.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Unless I've seen the pusher and cold caller show down suspect hands I fold AQ most of the time. That's the low end of the range the 2 villains will show you.

secret007
    secret007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 332

fold or re shove.. call is the worst option..
    i'd fold..

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18785

I'd probably have to know more about the players. If it's Bovada button probably had aces or ace/king and ace hit on the flop. I would call the 2100 since there's over 7000 in the pot and you can get away from the hand. You can't fold pre flop in scenario described.
    Last edited by BarkingToad; 07-12-15 at 08:57 AM.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47428

I'd say way more times than not the villain that cold calls 33% of his stack on the button has you in really bad shape..

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

in real poker with real players in a decent trny, you lay that shit down.....

on blowvada, it really doesn't matter, as your either progrrammed to win the f'n hand, and trny, or not .......... let it fly..........

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

any read on button

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Fold unless the button is a huge station...if he is, shove

PhilTheTHRILL

Alright well. Here is what happened following the cold call from Villain.

BTW, I didn't really have much of a read on the button at all. The original shover has shown down with some less than desirable hands thats for sure. When he originally shoved, I know in my mind I was calling HIM. When button calls is when I had to deliberate.

Well, I did what a lot of you said was a bad move, however, seeing a flop with AQ was worth it to me considering I had to call 2100 to win about 8.5K or so including antes and blinds.

So, I call. Flop comes. 3x 3x 6x no flush draw for the Hero

Villain checks to me. What do you do?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

You email bovada because the button is checking out of turn :-)

PhilTheTHRILL

Hmm.. true. My recollection is off now since I didn't note the hand better yesterday. lol

Good catch Dane

PhilTheTHRILL

HERE's how it REALLY happened.. lol
    I check, Button checks...Turn comes J..

I put in a small bet here, Villain shoves all in. I fold.

MP shows KQ off and button shows 77.

River blanks and button takes it down.

Leaves me crippled. Good news is Next hand I get dealt KK. I shove and get called by 2. One shows 99 and other has AA.
    I suckout and make a flush on the river with A hearts. Wound up min cashing after wasting 3 hours of my life.

SharpAngles

So many elements missing to give good advice on this particular hand but let's all agree AQ is a bitch to play out of position and most times you're better off letting her go than trying to catch the perfect flop. Especially in a tournament.

PhilTheTHRILL

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    So many elements missing to give good advice on this particular hand but let's all agree AQ is a bitch to play out of position and most times you're better off letting her go than trying to catch the perfect flop. Especially in a tournament.
    Thanks for the Insight Sharp.
    Just trying to utilize this forum to what it should be for.

Next time I'll be sure to take better notes to discuss a HH. I appreciate everyone chiming in.

SharpAngles

Post more hands buddy, I agree this forum could use a little more strat
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BeerDog99

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Post more hands buddy, I agree this forum could use a little more strat
    agreed

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18785

I think you played the hand perfectly, just no results. Short stack was an idiot for RERAISE all in with small pair when you obviously had over cards or bigger pair, and players left to act. Button was a moron for calling 1/3 of his stack with just pretty paper and you left to act. Short stack had no business playing hand after your raise and others left to act, and I could see button calling just your raise with position. You would have had some betting chips post flop and maybe win pot. With all the bad players you had to call and see the flop at 3.5/1 odds. In another round or 2 you'd be betting at least 2k for a normal raise and wished you played that hand. If the players were good it would have been you, button, and maybe BB based on odds. If BB was in hand and had decent stack, he could have bet that flop, again if you're playing against good players. The short stack small pair reraiser ended up being the infant with a handgun.

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Depends on how quickly the blinds increase as well. If it's a tournament where your 30BB will turn into 10BB in the next 15 minutes then I wouldn't have had an issue with pushing all in preflop. If the blinds are quick then the SS could be pushing to try and steal your raise because he needs the chips.

Which could also be why the button is calling, believing it's a steal and, worst case, it's a coin flip with 77. However, you going back over top of him might change his mind about sticking around with a middle pair.
    Last edited by astro61200; 07-12-15 at 08:33 PM.

astro61200

Also, Bovada has a hand history option under "Account"

It's kind of painful to use, as it loads pretty slowly because they chose to have it look pretty instead of being accessible, but it is there.

PhilTheTHRILL

Quote Originally Posted by BarkingToad View Post
    I think you played the hand perfectly, just no results. Short stack was an idiot for RERAISE all in with small pair when you obviously had over cards or bigger pair, and players left to act. Button was a moron for calling 1/3 of his stack with just pretty paper and you left to act. Short stack had no business playing hand after your raise and others left to act, and I could see button calling just your raise with position. You would have had some betting chips post flop and maybe win pot. With all the bad players you had to call and see the flop at 3.5/1 odds. In another round or 2 you'd be betting at least 2k for a normal raise and wished you played that hand. If the players were good it would have been you, button, and maybe BB based on odds. If BB was in hand and had decent stack, he could have bet that flop, again if you're playing against good players. The short stack small pair reraiser ended up being the infant with a handgun.
    Good points here. Blinds were already at 150 / 300 with 40-50 ante's I believe. It was especially tough that I gave myself a flop and just didn't have anything at all to roll with after the flop. my AQ didn't feel good but I put in a bet anyways to see where I was. Once I was shoved over, I obviously knew I was destroyed and folded.

Only thing I could have done differently are:
    1. limp or fold preflop. Which wouldn't make sense.
    2. fold after the shove and call.
    3. try to see as many cards for free as I could and never make a hand and lose anyways.
    4. shove from UTG pre flop.

In retrospect, I feel like a shove pre flop would look SUPER strong considering my stack size and the fact that I was UTG. I feel a player who is about even stacked with me would be hard pressed to call his tourney life off with 77 pre flop.

Great insight here.

PhilTheTHRILL

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post
    Also, Bovada has a hand history option under "Account"

It's kind of painful to use, as it loads pretty slowly because they chose to have it look pretty instead of being accessible, but it is there.
    Yeah I've half way messed around with it. But you're right. The delay in accessibility is frustrating and I usually give up. haha

astro61200

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTheTHRILL View Post
    Good points here. Blinds were already at 150 / 300 with 40-50 ante's I believe. It was especially tough that I gave myself a flop and just didn't have anything at all to roll with after the flop. my AQ didn't feel good but I put in a bet anyways to see where I was. Once I was shoved over, I obviously knew I was destroyed and folded.

2. fold after the shove and call.
    3. try to see as many cards for free as I could and never make a hand and lose anyways.
    4. shove from UTG pre flop.

In retrospect, I feel like a shove pre flop would look SUPER strong considering my stack size and the fact that I was UTG. I feel a player who is about even stacked with me would be hard pressed to call his tourney life off with 77 pre flop.

Great insight here.
    I'm assuming that you meant to quote my post instead? Honestly, for such a low buy in (assuming it was, max $10) I, personally, would have just said f it and pushed. I believe that 77 would have folded, having put you on a higher pp. Then you'd have taken it down with an ace kicker.

If you have 9k in chips with 150/300/25 but that increases to 300/600/50 within 15 minutes then I'd take the gamble of him calling. While you don't want to lose you might not get a hand worth a damn until blinds are eating you alive and you end up busting because you were involved in a 4 way pot due to having so few chips.

Plus I find it even more frustrating to play for hours only to make your money back with a dollar thrown on top. I'd rather build up a nice stack that gives me a chance to take it down, as opposed to barely scraping my way to the money.

That said, I don't usually play turbo tournaments so I could be way off with that thinking.

SharpAngles

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTheTHRILL View Post
    2. fold after the shove and call. (only option without solid reads)
    4. shove from UTG pre flop. (with 30bb don't do it, you'll thank me later)

You have to realize in this instance he had 77 but that is pretty near the nut low of his range to be cold calling. You run into big pairs or AK way more often than 77, which is still ahead pre anyways, with this passive cold call line imo.

astro61200

You have to realize in this instance he had 77 but that is pretty near the nut low of his range to be cold calling. You run into big pairs or AK way more often than 77, which is still ahead pre anyways, with this passive cold call line imo.
    If blinds jump quickly, some tournies on there are every 6 mins, then having 30BB isn't great when you will only see 10 or so hands until you only have 10BB left

If they were 15-20 minute blinds then I'd be folding everytime

PhilTheTHRILL

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post
    If blinds jump quickly, some tournies on there are every 6 mins, then having 30BB isn't great when you will only see 10 or so hands until you only have 10BB left

If they were 15-20 minute blinds then I'd be folding everytime
    They were 10 minute Levels, but I'm not sure how deep in the current level we were in. It was hard at the time to just shove pre flop because I didn't really relate my chip position to the whole tourney, just to the table. Which probably isn't the smartest idea looking back. I think only one player at my table had me fully covered. However in the tourney I was a little above average stack.