SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Don't be "that" guy

When you sit at any poker table, especially a cash game thats been running where the players have history before you sat, don't start running your mouth about anything. Nobody cares about your day, or telling you good morning, or filling you in on past action, or saying good job when you win a pot, or feeling sorry when you have to fold your rags that hit the flop. Speaking of rags, nobody needs to hear you tell the table multiple times about your 8 that would've made trips or that damn 3 hit again while others are playing a hand either. I guarantee not one other player appreciates that or you calling everyone rude for not patting you on the back for telling us.

When you finally get called to a bigger game don't go over to that table, 5 or 6 down, and talk so loudly that we still hear your stupid thoughts. I really promise nobody cares at that or any table. And most importantly don't go broke there and sit down again 10 minutes later then start asking if we missed you or sharing a "bad beat" story where you weren't a favorite at any point in the hand. Yes, we can believe he called you with AJ, because you're a horrible player. And please don't tell us how much better and friendly the other table was or how you miss it already because we feel the same way. The table let out a collective sigh when you sat again for a reason, and it's not your skill.

Poker has too many of "those" egomaniac guys who need to talk WAY too much. Nobody cares and you're making a fool of yourself. Please do not ever become this type of player! And if you are one of "those" guys please find a douchebag 12 step or something and get your sh*t straight!
    Last edited by SharpAngles; 04-14-15 at 03:37 PM.

Jedi Mind Picks
    Jedi Mind Picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Great post can we apply this to poker forum also???

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

Anti social much?

SharpAngles

I'm actually a talkative player but nobody wants to be forced into conversation. I'll talk to anyone about anything of substance but draw the line at chit chat to stroke somebodies ego. And them calling it out and complaining about lack of "conversation" is beyond annoying. Yes we all know its hot, and early for poker, and f*cking tuesday! Nobody wants to discuss it to make anyone else feel better. Especially when you're cranking the nits and getting them to call for a table change. Who's going to check/fold every turn if you talk them right off the table jackass?!?!

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
    Anti social much?
    I went to play a weekly tournament at my local club as a new social activity.

Two tourneys were enough to realize it was for anti-social people only.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

tell this to the person that does it, will be more helpful than telling us!

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

I guess for me since I play poker to make money -- I know some people just do it as a social activity -- I don't mind those weird penetrates that talk about any and everything. Most of the time they play poorly which is what I want. I remember hearing about Chip Reese and how he always made the worst person at the table feel "OK" about losing money. He could keep them coming back because they were having fun. Now that's a good attribute to have.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

this is all good advice, but you missed mentioning the most important thing that always makes me sick at the table.... BEFORE sitting down at a table; wash your f'n ass already........... the next dusty nuts camel jockey or dirty soul brutha that sits down next to me smelling like a rotting pig carcass I may just call out immediately...... and brush your f'n teeth and use some mouthwash...... I literally busted out of a daily deep stack once just to get away from some achmed that obviously had no idea what a bar of soap was and when he spoke, the four players around/across from him and the dealer all winced and turned their heads away from him..... must have had a shit sandwhich for lunch

SharpAngles

Good point Donk. Only thing worse than too much annoying chatter is the nasty MFers that stink. The next scumbag who sits next to me reeking of feet is getting his chip stack "accidentally" knocked over multiple times.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post
    this is all good advice, but you missed mentioning the most important thing that always makes me sick at the table.... BEFORE sitting down at a table; wash your f'n ass already........... the next dusty nuts camel jockey or dirty soul brutha that sits down next to me smelling like a rotting pig carcass I may just call out immediately...... and brush your f'n teeth and use some mouthwash...... I literally busted out of a daily deep stack once just to get away from some achmed that obviously had no idea what a bar of soap was and when he spoke, the four players around/across from him and the dealer all winced and turned their heads away from him..... must have had a shit sandwhich for lunch
    Not many things worse at the poker table than sitting beside "hasn't showered in days" guy. Maybe waiting for 30+ minutes to finally get seated then sitting beside him. Should have free deodorant in the card room

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I'm glad when I have guys talk at the tables. You get to hear all of their horrible logic. Especially when they get on a rampage about rigged software. It really turns the fish face up.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

Sat down the other day to a guy talking about how he plays poker "with something called pot odds". And then when on to explain pot odds. I almost just got back up. Obviously he busted about an hour later.

Jedi Mind Picks
    Jedi Mind Picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Quote Originally Posted by reigle9 View Post
    Sat down the other day to a guy talking about how he plays poker "with something called pot odds". And then when on to explain pot odds. I almost just got back up. Obviously he busted about an hour later.
    was he "crunching the numbers" hahaha, always a tell they have no clue when they talk about "doing the math"
    most of it goes... every thing is a coinflip!!!
    I'm sure the words "pot odds" are spoken just before most every awful calls in live poker.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

I could seriously put something in this thread every day of my life. I should just bookmark this in my phone.

Wednesday sat down beside a guy that was mostly made up of bourbon. I had to tell him it's on him 99% of the time. One time our cards got dealt out too close and he grabbed them both (misdeal). Lol I actually started drinking just to deal with it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Optional

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

It just comes down to numbers. If there's a group of 10 people anywhere, you can assume mathematically that 2 of them are gonna be complete annoying idiots, 3 of them are gonna be sorta jackasses, a couple will be alright, and there will be 2 or 3 wild cards. Now factor in that it's a poker table, where people are gonna be mostly self-absorbed know-it-alls; if they weren't, they'd be with their kids or girlfriend or whatever. But they're sorta losers in life, probably with a touch of aspergers.... ofc I'm speaking generally; there will be times when the whole table is having fun. Just take headphones if you're sitting next to a mouthbreather, works for me.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

your headphones stop chronic halitosis???? nice....... i'll take that stuff they use in autopsies of rotting corpses to vegas with me this summer, and put that shit under my nose if the wrong camel jockies or euros (smelly germans and ukranians) roll up next to me