Betpoints: 181

The Real dfish, bummer

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  36.9 KB

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

One of The Devilfish's most classic moments IMO. Maybe the most epic table talk in poker history, ahead of Tony's own "on your bike" trademark

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

RIP!

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post

One of The Devilfish's most classic moments IMO. Maybe the most epic table talk in poker history, ahead of Tony's own "on your bike" trademark
    i could watch it a million times, there r quite a few videos of him and tony g going at it

rufflesmuncher
    rufflesmuncher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

damn, sad as hell

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

Sad, loved watching him play and talk at the table

RIP Fish

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

wow..... that sucks ass..... what happened to him?

fashioned alot of my omaha game off him

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Guy was a character.

RIP

SharpAngles

I met the man once and we interacted for maybe a minute yet I feel like I've lost a friend. Think that really speaks to his character and how he lived life. Gutted for his family and real friends. Seriously sad time for live poker because there are not enough guys who have that persona to be losing one as big as the Devilfish. At least legends never die and he earned that.

Was loaned a copy of his autobiography recently and can't recommend it enough. Found this review and think it sums it up nicely...

Reading this book is like sitting with Devilfish in a pub. His turn of phrase is naturally funny and occasionally poetic (an opponent is "as pale as Dracula's feet"); apply that verbal dexterity to the life he's had and you've got one solid piece of entertainment.
    This is a man with juicy stories to tell. One time, after going broke in a poker game against a wealthy antiques dealer, Devilfish wonders how to raise more stake money and sit back down. Inspiration strikes: he breaks into a local auction house and steals a grandfather clock. Clanking back up the stairs of the antique dealer's home, giant clock in tow, he recalls that "it sounded like I was shagging Big Ben".
    Now that poker is a respectable international sport, played on TV by clean-cut students with maths degrees, Devilfish (with his dodgy past, off-colour jokes and old-fashioned, obvious appreciation of women) can cut a controversial figure. There are some, in the newly clean and sober game, who disapprove of him. I am not one of them, for two reasons. The first is that Devilfish is the soul of poker: a link back to the days when it was all colourful characters with sharp wits and shady backgrounds. Say what you like about mathematical Scandinavians, but they're not the most fun on a long-haul flight.
    The other is that he has a massive heart. Retired burglar he may be, but Dave Ulliot is a loyal friend and a kind man, whose tactile and deeply sentimental love for his ex-wife and children (expressed throughout the book without a trace of manly embarrassment) is born from instinct, not from anything he learned in his own upbringing.
    Now wealthy, successful and famous, "The Fish" jets between glamorous gambling hotspots, but he knows where home is; this book may be unique in the history of literature for including the line: "Don't get me wrong – I love Hull."
    I was nervous to review it, in case it was bad. Dave Ulliot is a friend of mine. And he has a gun. But I needn't have worried. The book is, like the man, fast, funny, scary, smart, cocky, colourful, and I adore them both.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...victoria-coren
    Points Awarded:

dfish gave SharpAngles 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

first I've heard of this...very sad RIP

SharpAngles

http://www.partypoker.com/blog/memor...h-ulliott.html

Nice blog by Sexton sharing some great DevilFish stories.

Devilfish targets Doyle Brunson

There is an endless supply of Devilfish stories, but here’s one of my favourites: A big $50k PLO buy-in game, a small fortune back then, was going on at Bellagio. A rich Greek was in town and he loved PLO, which was coincidentally Devilfish’s best game. The Devil was dying to get in on the action but didn’t have enough to buy-in. Finally, after grinding and winning smaller games for several days, and perhaps borrowing a little, he had exactly $50k and got a seat in the game. The Devilfish was never shy about putting his entire bankroll on the table.
    Blinds were $200/400 and most put the $800 straddle on it. Devilfish folded every hand for a round or two. The Greek then opened the pot for $2k, Doyle Brunson called and the Devilfish, in the BB, bet the $9K pot. Both players called. The flop came A-7-5 w/two diamonds. Devilfish bet $27k and the Greek folded. After hesitating, Doyle, who was winning pretty good in the game, said, “OK, let’s gamble!” He then set Devilfish all-in who quickly called.
    The Devil was trying for days to play this game and within 30 minutes was vying for a $110k pot! The Devilfish turned up A-A-J-10 in hearts and diamonds. He had the top set (best hand possible) and the nut flush draw. Doyle turned up 9-8-7-4 in diamonds and spades. He was drawing dead to running quads or a six that wasn’t a diamond. The two of spades came on the turn and then the six of clubs on the river, giving Doyle the straight and the win.
    Devilfish stared at the board for a minute. I thought he might turn the table over but to everyone’s surprise, he didn’t say a word. He just got up from the table and started walking out. He stepped down off the balcony, took a few more steps, turned around and headed back toward the table. When he got there he put his hands on the table, leaned across toward Doyle and said, “Doyle, have you got any more of those Super System books of yours? I’d like to have one so I’ll have something to wipe my ass with when I get back home.” He then turned and walked out.

What a legend

SomeDayinBuffalo
    SomeDayinBuffalo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1283

RIP DevilFish Always enjoyed his game and everything he brought to the table.