GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Andy Beal is still playing poker?

I haven't really kept up with the poker big games in awhile, so the fact that Andy Beal is still donating millions to poker players might not be surprising to some, but it is to me. Pam Anderson is divorcing Rick Salomon and filing papers saying he won over $40 million from Beal. Not surprising if you know Beal's history and read The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King.

Between Beal and Guy Laliberte, it's a good time to be a poker player with a big enough bankroll to get into those games.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

I've heard Beal was in Vegas within the last year and was playing 100k/200k up to 250k/500k limit holdem. I've also heard he is anything but a mark and I would disagree with you he's been "donating" in any of these games. Who bankrolled Rick in that game if it is true would be my question. I've heard he was a big winner in the hollywood games a few years ago and see him at the big games at Commerce stacking chips all the time but have never heard of him playing that caliber game.

Guy is a different story as far as donating, but I havent heard anything about him as far as big cash games since Durr and Antonius took enough off him to start their own Cirque. Didn't he bink the one drop a couple years ago? Maybe that cash was donated back to economy too?

And the P,B&SK is a great read. The ted forrest stories are a favorite of mine and worth the price of the book alone imo. What a f'n vegas legend!
    Last edited by SharpAngles; 03-17-15 at 02:23 PM.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Interesting.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Like I said I haven't kept up with any of the big games in a few years and Pam Anderson or Salomon could each be lying their asses off, so I'd be interested in hearing what is really going on.

SharpAngles

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news...y-beal-reports

Quick google shows you're right, he's been at the B as recently as January. I get the sense they couldnt get chips big enough for their stake or Andy is done trying to bully them with his roll. If they are using multiples this was probably a 500k/1mega limit game against the best limit player in the world todd brunson. Either Beal really thinks hes got an edge or you're right hes simply donating

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Thanks, Sharp.

Obviously Beal just likes playing the best.

Also read that Guy thought FTP was doing him dirty.

http://calvinayre.com/2014/05/09/pok...guy-laliberte/

SharpAngles

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post

Also read that Guy thought FTP was doing him dirty.

http://calvinayre.com/2014/05/09/pok...guy-laliberte/
    Wow hadn't heard this. Put that much money on a table I guess anything could happen but I'd be shocked if Antonius and Durr were colluding. Accusations like that would get them blackbooked in every serious game in the world. I doubt the Macau businessmen would be inviting them to games if this was a real story or even suspicion.

More likely a few other FTP "pros" were up to shenanigans or Guy is just a typical fish who thinks the only way he loses is cheating.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

I've always been a big fan of Ted. His prop bets have been amazing, plus I like guys who play all the games.

Here is a copy/paste from a CardPlayer article about Matusow not paying up on their weight lost bet. I know, shocking

According to Forrest, something in the region of $1.8m had been agreed to be paid to him by Matusow in $5,000 monthly increments over an 18-year period. Forrest claims that to this day, four years on, he’s only seen $70,000 of what he’s owed.
    However, there are always two sides to every story, and it was only a matter of time before we heard what “The Mouth” had to say on the matter.
    Earlier today he returned to Twitter to find “all this Ted Forrest bull” and felt he must “tell the real truth.” Here’s what he had to say:

4 years ago me and Ted made a bet and were very drunk when we made it I then told him I don’t want the bet cause I can’t afford to lose.”

“He then said sorry you owe me $500k to cancel bet, I laughed and said fine don’t cancel the bet but I’m not changing my lifestyle for anyone and that if you win you will get $5k a month out of my full tilt pay check.”
    “After it looked like he would win he went to Howard and full tilt demanding they pay the bet if he wins, they laughed in his face.”
    “You all know full tilt stole mine and everyone’s money and I’ve struggled to survive since. But now he has been paid 200k by Justin Smith who had 10% of the bet and 93500 by me in which I told him I would pay 106500 which is 10%. I feel this is more than fair since Full Tilt ruined my life.”
    “Sorry Ted if you think you’re getting anymore money sue me I got 4 people who were there when the bet was made and I made it clear I wasn’t changing my lifestyle for you or any bet when it was made.”
    “So stop lying about me to people in public or I will out you for the thief and crook that you are, take care my friend, Mike.”

----Matusow sounds like he should post on SBR

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

----Matusow sounds like he should post on SBR
    hahahah............ i was thinking the same exact thing as I was finishing mouth's rant, then saw your comment.... awesome!

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26259

know idea who this Beal guy is, what happened to Mike the mouth?

SharpAngles

Quote Originally Posted by Enkhbat View Post
    know idea who this Beal guy is, what happened to Mike the mouth?
    Mike Matusow is still around. One of those that will get paid by TV poker donks the rest of his life.

For you and anyone else who doesn't know the Legend of Andy Beal...

http://www.pokerlistings.com/poker-s...ales-andy-beal

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Nice thread, gentlemen.
    I remember reading all about the Beal stuff years ago when Razzo (R.I.P.... very well known Vegas poker dealer) would post the blog thoughts (over on usenet) of a dealer that often dealt the game(s) to Beal and 'the corporation'. It was interesting reading, for sure.

Quick aside:
    One night, years back, I was railing Matusow on a high stakes table on Full Tilt where he started playing HU; He lost ~30k in all of about 5 minutes, typed in some profanities then disappeared; I kept the table open while I was playing (a lil lower level) and Mike shows back up after 'round 10 minutes passed (guy still sitting waiting on him) and announces he threw his computer out the window -- sounded 100% authentic that he, in fact, did -- reloads for 30k and promptly gets felted like 5 hands later. More profanities, (that would make even konck proud), then he goes on saying he's like 200k in the shitter just in the last few days alone. Reloads again... gets felted again.

Ah yes, Full Tilt in the good ol days.......

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Quote Originally Posted by BiTeMe UsAdOj View Post
    Nice thread, gentlemen.
    I remember reading all about the Beal stuff years ago when Razzo (R.I.P.... very well known Vegas poker dealer) would post the blog thoughts (over on usenet) of a dealer that often dealt the game(s) to Beal and 'the corporation'. It was interesting reading, for sure.

If you happen to remember or come across the link to that blog, can you post it here or just pm it to me? That sounds really interesting.

Auto Donk

If you happen to remember or come across the link to that blog, can you post it here or just pm it to me? That sounds really interesting.
    i second that; i'd love to read it

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

Wow, that was years ago, Gum, but I'll make an attempt to track it down just for you. Was very interesting stuff, fer sure.

Highly doubt blog is even up anymore (hosted anywhere) BUT, perhaps I can find some excerpts of it combing through some of Razzo's archived usenet posts. Problem is, few months ago I was trying to find some old usenet stuff on google groups (google bought archives from dejanews years ago ($)... deja use to archive *everything*) and fukkin google 'announced' they had purged much of the old usenet archive library (on returned search results).

What fukkin morons google to ace *that* intellectual treasure trove: way back in the day, had so many bright peeps posting on usenet b/c you had to be somewhat tech savvy to even be able to access the usenet servers (as they weren't world wide web based). Hardly any trolls on those boards, working industry types, smart peeps all around dispensing great info/conversation. High percentage of those usenet posts were gold. I paid ~20 euros/year to tap off a news server from some German university. However, the early 2000's brought about so many forums/boards becoming web based (any moron could now easily find/access them, cue the trolls!) and it pretty much put a nail in the usenet coffin. (Usenet still there, but a pathetic ghost of what it once was... sad).

Anyway, in mid/late 90's you had Hellmuth, Doyle, many others posting on usenet poker board; Lederer would post a hand from some tourney he was in, and everyone would chime in w/ strategy thoughts (he often liked mine... actually, 1 time he gave me a specific shoutout... once). These kinds of things were the norm one-upon-a-time there... BUT... that board started to turn to shit in mid 2000's, too, and most abandoned for 2plus2 and other web based forums.

Razzo (Daryl) died fairly recently; I'll look for old posts where he would excerpt part of that blog then post a link to it... BUT... I'd say the odds of me finding anything now in this new age of google group purging is on par with the odds of 4uk winning the SBR WSOP seat.

So, you know....

SharpAngles

I remember someone on rec.gambling.poker back in the day who dealt a lot of the big games in vegas and had a ton of interesting stories. I cant remember the name but it probably is the razzo bite mentioned. I believe the golden age of the group is still archived in a few places around the net if you want to dig for it.

What a blast from the past, I used to love that place!

Auto Donk

my only experience with Lederer was at the Rio, he was obviously still tilting from an earlier bad beat or something as he was coming out of the men's room as I was going in, ran smack right into me, damn near knocked himself out as he bounced off of me and into the wall...... he apologized for not paying attention....

best part of this story is when I get to the urinal and get ready to go, a short asian dude rolls into the urinal next to me.... none other than Johnny Chan..... I've never been one for selfies, but I was tempted to put my phone up in the air, and take a selfie from above lookin down -- with me and him in it -- saying, "hey johnny, look up" the instant before I snapped the photo.......

It'd probably be my profile photo/avatar across the internet if I'd had the balls to do it..... as is, no selfie with Chan..... but look to the left, that ain't a bad consolation.......
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj, and GUMMO77

SharpAngles

Donk you must be a big f'r cause Lederer is a mountain of a dude. He was probably steaming cause his monthly "royalty" from FT was being siezed by the feds.

And that Chan story is pretty great. You should've taken the picture and when he asked "did you take it?" you say "sorry John, I dont remember" and walk out. You pissed with the best Donk, and could've won.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Auto Donk

Auto Donk

lol... yah, he was looking down, I somewhat braced for the contact as he ran into me.....

I do have a lot more quality time with his sister, as she taught me at the wsop academy in vegas for 2 1/2 days, and hung with her for a while at the Rio that weekend after the academy was done... (during june, 2009, while wsop was running).

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    What a blast from the past, I used to love that place!
    Should have seen it the mid-late 90's, Sharpy.
    Long, long time ago...amazing resource of all things poker. Who's who of big name/insider poker peeps posting (all kinds of great information); nothing like what it devolved into and what it is today... pretty much a political/bs sewer, now. No more actual poker. Sad.

Yeah, Razzo and some other dealers/insiders had all kinds of insider Vegas tales (Gary Carson and some other old school authors were staples there... Carson, R.I.P.). Razzo got a consulting credit in that Michael Imperioli flick: High Roller:The Stu Ungar Story.

Once a web portal opened to RGP (rec groups, blah!)... it pretty much doomed it to the shit house it quickly became.
    (Negreanu quickly became a non-fan, among many others).

Much of the Golden Age (mid 90's-early 2000's) is actually lost, due to google purging dejanews's archives.

SharpAngles

I remember reading the archives while 2 tabling NL cash games by having one table open at Paradise Poker and one at PartyPoker, back when they were single table only so thats about where I get into online poker. maybe 99-00

The good old days when you could make $1000 at the tables and the next morning load your net teller debit and spend it instantly.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

Yep, Sharpy... I even played on Planet Poker, along w/ Paradise & Party, too, and many others. (Planet then had that algorithm scandal hack; can you just imagine some of SBR rigtards on PP when *that* occurred -- their fukkin heads woulda exploded!)

Even played one of thief Dutch Boyd's old sites.

Ah yes, Neteller -- losing that about made me and many others cry. Funds would transfer to NT debit card in ~5 minutes... and off to ATM to get your loot. It's just ridiculously absurd that things were so much more advanced... YEARS AGO!.

Makes me sick. Oh yeah, penetrate YOU lower district Manhattan court and DOJ if I haven't told you lately. Coming up on 4 years since BF... unfukkinbelievable. And so very little movement (none substantive)...

Hey, anyone remember when Neteller got aced for we Americans, Pokerstars quickly came out with their own debit card through The Bank of Scotland -- that was great, and worked just like Neteller. Win, cash out, on the card very quickly. Actually, you could use that card in lots of places like restaurants, stores, gas stations, anywhere really and was better than Neteller. Absolutely great times.

Didn't last long tho cuz of UIGEA and all the pressure asshole American gov put on international bankers; I sure as hell enjoyed it while it lasted...

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    HIT N RUN ALERT!!!!!

SharpAngles

I remember pokerroom.com with the creepy "mannequin" players back in the day too. And a java app that launched in the browser instead of having software. Used to rake pots from the back row of a few classrooms lol.

Online cash games that live will not exist again. People just gave you money like it was bet points it was truly unreal looking back on it now.

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

Quote Originally Posted by BiTeMe UsAdOj View Post
    Yep, Sharpy... I even played on Planet Poker, along w/ Paradise & Party, too, and many others. (Planet then had that algorithm scandal hack; can you just imagine some of SBR rigtards on PP when *that* occurred -- their fukkin heads woulda exploded!)

Even played one of thief Dutch Boyd's old sites.

Ah yes, Neteller -- losing that about made me and many others cry. Funds would transfer to NT debit card in ~5 minutes... and off to ATM to get your loot. It's just ridiculously absurd that things were so much more advanced... YEARS AGO!.

Makes me sick. Oh yeah, penetrate YOU lower district Manhattan court and DOJ if I haven't told you lately. Coming up on 4 years since BF... unfukkinbelievable. And so very little movement (none substantive)...

Hey, anyone remember when Neteller got aced for we Americans, Pokerstars quickly came out with their own debit card through The Bank of Scotland -- that was great, and worked just like Neteller. Win, cash out, on the card very quickly. Actually, you could use that card in lots of places like restaurants, stores, gas stations, anywhere really and was better than Neteller. Absolutely great times.

Didn't last long tho cuz of UIGEA and all the pressure asshole American gov put on international bankers; I sure as hell enjoyed it while it lasted...
    Spitzer wanted to pretend he was a paragon of virtue saving the world from voluntary "vice" of gambling, until he got caught spending $1,000 an hour on hookers to cheat on his wife. No different than most politicians, but all the anti-gambling hard-ons seem to be in New York...embarrassing
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

^^ Ol Client 9 also spoke all high & mighty against prostitution and, in fact, prosecuted prostitution 'crimes'.
    These hypocritical asshat politicos just die already, please
    (How much did D'Amato pocket from the PPA funds?... 'least a cool million, right?(documented)... did JackShit to help poker any...)

Per usual, Tripper knows.

Was talking to ronpaul2008 (d2bets brother) at the poker tables the other night; he and I use to get into some fairly lengthy political talk back in the day when he played more. He hates Rand Paul. Wondered how his dad could raise such a misfit. Like you and I, Tripper, ronny voted for Johnson last election (and actually met him at some function).

The Prez field that's shaping up is ABYSMAL. I mean, just brutal.

Wonder if Doggy or Sin would consider taking in a lodger for awhile?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Triple_D_Bet, and BeerDog99

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

You are welcome to come up to the great white north anytime!

/on soapbox

While we Canadians are slightly better at less aggressively going after the personal vices, we are not even close to where we should be in my opinion.

In my opinion, all personal vices (drugs, gambling, prostitution) should be fully legal. It is should not be the business of government to control personal vices. Alcohol prohibition should have been the final lesson on that. The business of government should be about educating and addressing the downsides of the vices, like they have partly done with tobacco, alcohol and to a lesser extent gambling.

Overall, government should treat a problem and not punish it. Canada is slightly better than the US in this regard, but the differences are very slight and also very debateable and inconsistent applied.

Independent of the potential tax benefit, the staggering amount of $$ that could be saved in not policing/punishment and then a fraction of that savings applied to treatment and education of problems, a significant first step fixing a significant problem within our societies would be taken.

off soapbox/
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post
    You are welcome to come up to the great white north anytime!

/on soapbox

While we Canadians are slightly better at less aggressively going after the personal vices, we are not even close to where we should be in my opinion.

In my opinion, all personal vices (drugs, gambling, prostitution) should be fully legal. It is should not be the business of government to control personal vices. Alcohol prohibition should have been the final lesson on that. The business of government should be about educating and addressing the downsides of the vices, like they have partly done with tobacco, alcohol and to a lesser extent gambling.

Overall, government should treat a problem and not punish it. Canada is slightly better than the US in this regard, but the differences are very slight and also very debateable and inconsistent applied.

Independent of the potential tax benefit, the staggering amount of $$ that could be saved in not policing/punishment and then a fraction of that savings applied to treatment and education of problems, a significant first step fixing a significant problem within our societies would be taken.

off soapbox/