TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Should I have been berated for this play?

Final table, 9 players left

9th pays 110 pts, 8th pays 120

***** Hand history (v1.2) ***** Hand ID 4196401 $0 + $10 Texas Hold'em (No Limit) - 22:02:00 29/04/2014 ET Table 'Table 53859', 10 seats max, Real money Seat 10 is the button. Small Blind $200, Big Blind $400 Note: seat IDs range from 1 to 10 Seat 1 (playing) : thecentaur, amount $8665, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 3 (playing) : jose21_us, amount $6556, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 4 (playing) : boscokid, amount $8946, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 5 (playing) : thechaoz, amount $3750, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 6 (playing) : mpaschal34, amount $156, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 7 (playing) : JohnGalt2341, amount $4315, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 8 (playing) : ireland1946, amount $2863, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 9 (playing) : BigDeem5, amount $2534, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
    Seat 10 (playing) : stefan084, amount $4305, amount bet $0, penalty (None) thecentaur: Small Blind ($200) jose21_us: Big Blind ($400)
    ** Dealing Down Cards **
    Dealt to thecentaur: [5c, Qd]
    boscokid: Fold
    thechaoz: Fold
    mpaschal34: Call ($131)
    JohnGalt2341: Fold
    ireland1946: Fold
    BigDeem5: Call ($400)
    stefan084: Fold
    thecentaur: Raise [btn] ($1600)
    jose21_us: Fold
    BigDeem5: Fold
    thecentaur: Show Cards ($0) mpaschal34: Show Cards ($0)
    ** Dealing Flop **
    Community cards: [9s, Jd, 3h]
    ** Dealing Turn **
    Community cards: [4h]
    ** Dealing River **
    Community cards: [5h]
    ** End Round ** ** Evaluate **
    thecentaur: Show Cards ($0) mpaschal34: Show Cards ($0)
    ** Showdown **
    Main pot $749, Rake $0 Side pot #1 $2007, Rake $0
    Summary thecentaur: bet $1800, won $2007, net $207, HoleCards [5c, Qd], HiHand [a pair of fives] [5h, 5c, Qd, Jd, 9s], won $2007 from side pot #1
    Summary mpaschal34: bet $131, won $749, net $618, HoleCards [9h, 8d], HiHand [a pair of nines] [9s, 9h, Jd, 8d, 5h], won $749 from main pot

PBigDeem5: real idiot like centuar
    BigDeem5: penetrating moron
    Dealer: thecentaur shows a pair of fives.
    Dealer: mpaschal34 shows a pair of nines.
    Dealer: mpaschal34 wins 749 from the main pot with a pair of nines.
    Dealer: thecentaur wins 2,007 from side pot #1 with a pair of fives.
    Dealer: The 5 minute break will start when
    hands on all tables are completed.
    jose21_us: raise on that fuken bullshit
    thecentaur: guys
    jose21_us: u gotta be fuken kidding me
    BigDeem5: yeah what a moron
    thecentaur: I made money
    Dealer: Players are now on break.
    Tournament will resume in 5 minutes.
    BigDeem5: i had 97 he should be out
    jose21_us: u made a dumb fuk play
    thecentaur: we arent on the bubble
    BigDeem5: keep playing like a dumb rooster_eater
    thecentaur: lol guys
    boscokid: i liked that play - dont listen to these idiots
    thecentaur: think about it
    thecentaur: thanks bosco
    mpaschal34: it's not like 700 chips is going to get me far
    Tournament will resume in 4 minutes.
    BigDeem5: donkeeyy
    Tournament will resume in 3 minutes.
    Tournament will resume in 2 minutes.
    Last edited by TheCentaur; 04-29-14 at 09:16 PM.

Tommy Blingshyne
    Tommy Blingshyne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 304

you rasied on the button w/ no previous action before you? nothing wrong w/ that...

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blingshyne View Post
    you rasied on the button w/ no previous action before you? nothing wrong w/ that...
    No, I was SB, there was a limper in late pos

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

Don't see a problem here

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

short stack here was so small as to practically be irrelevant, so centy's button raise steals 269 x 2 of the two limper's (actually one limper, but big blind has mlpas covered too) 400 each.... (mlpas only had 131 chips, yet stands to quadruple up if centaur blows the limpr and big blind out of the hand with he button raise and ml subsequently wins the hand). centaur is stealing 269 plus 269 from the limper/big blind, yet removing two additional bullets to shoot at the short stack. If mlpas wasn't so extremely shortstacked, it would be sounder play to let the limpers see the flop, and check it down to ensue the short stack is removd from the trny. THE GOAL AT THE FINAL TABLE IS TO REMOVE PLAYERS, NOT BLUFF WITH SHORT STACKS ALL IN. IF Mlpas had 400 -600 chips and shoved, and the same two callers call, centy would be pure donkin' to raise with that hand, for when ml wins the hand in that scenario, he chips up to over 2000 chips and becomes a factor in the trny once again.

givn this move only gave ml roughly one big and one small blind, it's excusable, even if generally unwise.... if mlpas, a very skilled player in my opinion, comes back and turns that 700+ chips into a first place, centy would only have himself to blame for blowing out better hands and allowing ml to chip up. reck won a trny under much the same circumstances several months ago when some donk blew me outta the hand with a bluff with the very short-stackd reck all-in. I was on a draw and couldn't call the bluff, and would have rivered the straight and taken reck out. I was just as hot as the two guys that centy blew outta the hand above, but laffed my ass off when reck, who went on a massive run, took out the bluffing donkboy several hands later.......
    Last edited by Auto Donk; 04-29-14 at 10:50 PM. Reason: I don't often watch donkey shows, but when I do, I prefer Jackie Blew!!!

Chili_Powder
    Chili_Powder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

The play was fine, players that only play ABC poker have limited upside to their game. There was dead money to be taken, and you took it.
    Last edited by Chili_Powder; 04-30-14 at 03:40 AM.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

If there was a wider prize pool gap between 8th and 9th I'd say don't raise, but with a 10 point difference, the dead money if the squueze works, and a short stack who is going to be crippled even if he wins, it's fine.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Whiners being whiners. F*k 'em. Carry on.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

If the payouts were 1000's of points different for each place, then you may want to check it through. However for 10 point jumps at that time, why not try and chip up against the competition? As I said then, it's not like me having 700 was going to do me any good. I was out the next hand. I think the play was fine with so many people still in the tournament.

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Betting into a dry side pot with a micro stack when you have a crap hand is generally not a great idea but betting everybody out pre-flop to go heads up against the micro stack with your large stack to flip is fine by me.

Auto Donk

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post
    Betting into a dry side pot with a micro stack when you have a crap hand is generally not a great idea but betting everybody out pre-flop to go heads up against the micro stack with your large stack to flip is fine by me.
    agreed.... only a bad decision if mlpas had enough chips to be a factor.... especially when the difference in points amounts to like seven cents!

SharkAA
    SharkAA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6282

BigDeem5 gets the last laugh here. He has 6 bigs left, he calls instead of shoving, then he goes up in the arms. Personally, I'd shove in this situation.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkAA View Post
    BigDeem5 gets the last laugh here. He has 6 bigs left, he calls instead of shoving, then he goes up in the arms. Personally, I'd shove in this situation.

Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

Dealt to thecentaur: [5c, Qd] this is as far as i got and yes you should be berated.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    Dealt to thecentaur: [5c, Qd] this is as far as i got and yes you should be berated.
    I would like to refer you to post #6

NYER5680
    NYER5680's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 77

Quote Originally Posted by Chili_Powder View Post
    The play was fine, players that only play ABC poker have limited upside to their game. There was dead money to be taken, and you took it.
    Good perspective

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Hands like this tend to blow novices minds. They see Q5os and think, "that's Q5 off suit, what a fukkin terrible play". It doesn't really even matter that much what you have. The player with less than 1 sb could literally have anything. You squeeze and it works, you play against basically a2c w/ dead money you're assured to pick up. That and in this format, whether you knock the micro stack out or if he stays in with 700 chips, your tournament equity as far as ICM goes barely moves up or down at all. If you're playing in some big tournament and you stand to move up a few hundred dollars (or whatever amount is significant to you) or in SBR's format maybe when there is 3,4,5 players left (just a guess, I'm not going to do the calculations :-))...then yea by all means its time to check it down. It's almost better that you have something like Q5s/os so you can get away from the hand easily if you are called. Speaking of, you better have a damn good read on the limpers, cause that's the only thing that makes this work. Can't tell you how many times I've tried something like this and will look at some limp caller who snap calls my shove with pocket 4's and it holds . And BOL to you trying to pull it off again, seeing that you made a thread about it and all

ProlificalD
    Update your status
    ProlificalD's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nah, there was no obligation to call and check down with the late limper with 97 who was 9th in chips and you in 2nd. Way to knock the limper out.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

basically what beerdog said is right, guy who went all in was so small wasnt like you were giving him life by shoving and this is something im usually anal about, but i think it was ok in this spot he was so low

On the come
    On the come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6499

I don't have an opinion on how you played your hand, but even if I did, I surely wouldn't tell you that you played it wrong. Why would anyone (that thinks you play poorly) clue you in?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Quote Originally Posted by On the come View Post
    I don't have an opinion on how you played your hand, but even if I did, I surely wouldn't tell you that you played it wrong. Why would anyone (that thinks you play poorly) clue you in?
    I'm just an average player who only really plays on SBR.

But I can confirm that I learned a lot more about what mistakes to not make from the 'book learned drones' that used to spout off about what a bad play I had made than from my own ability to work these things out for myself.

Auto Donk

bump.....
    sharp angles, this isn't the post i was referring to., but you will find it a humorous read......

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

No one notices that deem whined because he had 97?

97 would've lost to 98 anyway unless they were both hearts

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    that is a premium hand for you

khicks26
    khicks26's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18912

Blinds that high, and stacks that low. Nobody should be limping to open a pot. Your play was right, the limper was trying to steal the chips from the shorty. Your the big stack, thats what your suppose to do. I would have folded the Q 5, because its a spot that people would slow play a big hand. But if you ask me, the limper should have been bitched at for being a weasel. Grow some balls and shove you stack if you want the chips.

Anyone limping with 5 BB, has no clue how to play tournament poker. Case closed.
    Last edited by khicks26; 10-16-14 at 09:47 AM.

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

Limping can sometimes be a good play depending on the table

But with the high blinds hete you have to either fold or be prepared to go all in (could limp and call the raise)

lolbear
    lolbear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10321

with 9 players left there is no incorrect plays here, UNLESS the prize structure is extremely flat (e.g. a sat with 8 prizes). Otherwise there is literally nothing you can do that others can blame you for.