Coach Potato
    Coach Potato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31636

how hard is it to learn and succeed at poker???

im a newbie at poker so don't really know anything but like most people nowadays im looking to make some extra money on the side to help pay for stuff and by this I mean around £50 a week and not anything crazy.

So can this be done? how are most of u guys doing? any tips or advice? is it even worth investing my time?

thanks in advance to any replies

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1712

If that's u want then yes, pretty easy.

Coach Potato
    Coach Potato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31636

Really? Or r u fuking with me? Lol

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Well the thing about poker, is that anybody and everybody will have bad runs. Its how you deal with those, that will go a long way in determining your long term success.

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1712

Of course sometimes you will lose, but if you have the will to leave after winning only 50, then sure go for it!
    that might only be a few hands.

ballahollic2
    Update your status
    ballahollic2's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10716

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Potato View Post
    im a newbie at poker so don't really know anything but like most people nowadays im looking to make some extra money on the side to help pay for stuff and by this I mean around £50 a week and not anything crazy.

So can this be done? how are most of u guys doing? any tips or advice? is it even worth investing my time?

There is so much poker knowledge out there now to be had. There are training sites (Card Runners, Poker VT, Blue Fire Poker, Deuces Cracked, Etc) Tons of books out there to be read about poker ( Doyle Brunson's Super System is a must read IMO if you are just starting out) I haven't read many poker books so I don't have many to recommend.

I think with all this knowledge out there that the games aren't nearly as weak as they used to be. Of course there is still value to be had but poker is a very up and down type of game. I wouldn't just start playing without putting in some serious research and learning concepts of the game. I think if you don't put in the time and effort that you will find you have a hard time winning money consistently. Learning a couple things here and there I just don't think will give you success. Even the marginal success you are looking for. It will be to easy for good players to exploit you.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

If ur good at math, have an intuitive mind, and a pretty good memory you can make good money playing live. There is much less available info at a table online plus the players are better IMO

NYER5680
    NYER5680's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 77

If you work really hard, play a lot, and learn, you can be successful. With that understanding no matter how good you are sometimes those cards will still let you down.

inrenokid
    inrenokid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Unless you are of the type of mind useful in a poker game walking in and making tips money doesn't cut it. Most profitable players have to dedicate themselves, no it beest learning to sports bet if you want some pocket money, much less complex and no time consumation, poker is much harder and once you learn it some small change won't be enough. Poker is akie to a college education you don't do that for a few.extra in your pocket

sinmiedo
    sinmiedo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

it is a game that takes a few weeks to learn, and more than a lifetime to master
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Mr KLC

boomernyc
    boomernyc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 385

it doesnt hurt to be lucky either, but you can make your luck happen with a firm understanding of the percentages and "pot odds" and there are just beautiful days out there where you are playing against people with no respect for money
    but there are way too many gross people playing live
    play online, in your underwear

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Invest your time in something else

CJ
    CJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5812

Joe Cada put it the best, shortly before his WSOP win, when he said, "It's the hardest way to make the World's easiest living." He went as far as to say, he doesn't advise anyone to get into it. Speaking from experience, I agree 100%.

I used to be pretty solid playing tournaments on FTP (I miss that site), and the swings will drive you nuts. Bank roll management is absolutely key, as I got annihilated when I first started off playing cash games on Partypoker. In fact it was my losses there that inspired me to learn how to actually play a proper tournament, which I excelled at.

Playing to try and only win $50 a week is probably doable, if you stick to that. I was trying to 'win the big one' while grinding the smaller tourneys. I'll borrow another quote, this one from Blow, "Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on." That's basically the way it goes, there were times I was at the brink of losing my sanity after frittering away massive portions of my bankroll, but there were other times I'd get hot and win a couple nice tourneys in a row and be on cloud 9. I vividly remember quitting a crappy job to go back to poker, and final tabling a pair of tourneys that same night for $6K total.

Ultimately, I won money, not a ton, but enough to sustain myself for a couple years, but invested way too much time into it. If I were you, I'd make it a once a week thing, tops.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheCentaur

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

Its worth investing your time if you reckon you are highly competitive, have a good memory, a keen mind for math, can sniff out a liar, and are capable of piecing together a puzzle while in the dark. Poker is an easy game to learn but a hard game to master.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    If ur good at math, have an intuitive mind, and a pretty good memory you can make good money playing live. There is much less available info at a table online plus the players are better IMO
    I would like to amend this to it's rigged

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I want to know where your bad ass avatar came from

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

If you want to make like $50 bucks a week, it aint that hard. Hell, you can make that on SBR

hockey216
    hockey216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

if you are good maybe 3-10y