slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

Layne Stanley

One of the great singers for sure

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Kermit

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

I honestly think they are better with the new guy.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    I honestly think they are better with the new guy.
    You're probably a big Sammy Hagar fan
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: grease lightnin, swordsandtequila, and Gmen30

RockBottom

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    You're probably a big Sammy Hagar fan
    Haha no. I do like my singers to show up from time to time and not all junked-out though.

RockBottom

Not that there is anything wrong with Hagar outside of playing with VH.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23996

Good song. Well done Slayer

b1slickguy
    WDKYWMYAK
    b1slickguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29800

Layne Staley?
    Saw AIC in '93 at Lollapalooza at Fiddler's Green.
    One of the most memorable shows ever.
    They were great, but Primus stole the show in true, tripped out fashion.
    Points Awarded:

Bombers78 gave b1slickguy 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

AIC one of my alltime faves. Loved them. Loved Mad Season. Loved Layne Staley.

That being said...I personally think Van Halen made some of their best music with Sammy. And I love Van Halen. They were a much more fun, party band with David, and 1984 was a fukkin masterpiece....but I thought Sammy was great with that band. Love comes walking in, Right Now, Dream another dream, and Dreams are all fukkin badass tunes. I loved that period of VH.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

One of the greats for sure...I remember the first CD I bought was Facelift. Great...great album.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    AIC one of my alltime faves. Loved them. Loved Mad Season. Loved Layne Staley.

That being said...I personally think Van Halen made some of their best music with Sammy. And I love Van Halen. They were a much more fun, party band with David, and 1984 was a fukkin masterpiece....but I thought Sammy was great with that band. Love comes walking in, Right Now, Dream another dream, and Dreams are all fukkin badass tunes. I loved that period of VH.
    That song "Long Gone Day" by Mad Season was great.

Sam Losco
    Sam Losco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13690

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    One of the greats for sure...I remember the first CD I bought was Facelift. Great...great album.
    one of my first was also facelift, bought from a neighbour who was having a garage sale. who knew that cd with a broken case i bought for $.50 at 11 years old would come to mean so much

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

Quote Originally Posted by b1slickguy View Post
    Layne Staley?
    Saw AIC in '93 at Lollapalooza at Fiddler's Green.
    One of the most memorable shows ever.
    They were great, but Primus stole the show in true, tripped out fashion.
    Lollapalooza '95 was such a great memory. The music was probably better at the first few, but we got to smoke weed with Coolio and his boys. Hilarious.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Good stuff. Need to share my personal Alice in Chains memories/stories and then some bonus commentary...

Believe it or not, I first saw AIC by accident, as the opening band for Extreme at the Orpheum in Boston in 1990. We were big into Extreme at the time (who most people never even knew was a killer band with crazy guitar riffage because their huge hit was an acoustic song, lol), so we were like okay, opening band, whatever... I thought AIC was okay, but was hard to tell much...

Then shortly thereafter, was driving and heard Man in the Box come on the radio on Headbangers' Ball or some show like that... and I was like Wow, that's a good f'n tune, and wait a second, that's right, I saw them...

So then bought Facelift, which I came to LOVE... it was a new thing, that dark, dingy brand of hard rock that would come to be copied by so many bands... there was great musicality to it, but also that bit of danger or evil that you look for in your heavy rock music...

Then heard the awesome song "Would?" get debuted on the radio, then the Singles soundtrack, and then of course Dirt, which ruled.

Saw them as part of the ridiculous 1993 Lollapalooza show with probably the sickest lineup ever since it opened with frickin Rage Against the Machine (an all-time fave of mine) and Tool and Primus and Fishbone.... (Having said that, though, 1992 Lollapalooza was one of my favorite concerts ever: Soundgarden, Ministry, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam (the second band on stage!), Lush (whom I loved -- shoegaze type band from England) )...

Oh, and also saw an Alice in Chains tour at The Channel in Boston (long ago demolished), which was great... Layne was climbing/crawling along the rafters, it was fukked up...

Lastly though, I must share my personal commentary I always share, as I am the biggest music head on SBR probably (and a musician, at least quasi-)...

For everyone my age who grew up in the 80s and 90s, great music didn't stop getting made during the grunge era 20 frickin years ago... Instead of just replaying the same great music you played in the 90s, take the time to peruse the Web for cool shit happening now... dig deeper.. read blogs, check music sites.. sample stuff on Amazon or YouTube.... I personally get tired of absolutely everything, no matter how great it was, and I need the next new exciting thing. Contrary to what most people stunningly think, there was no one GREAT time for music, where everything afterwards sucks (although for decades, the 70s does win for sure)... you're just not listening hard enough... you can't trust what you happen to flip by. It's out there. I can recommend to all of you (depending on your personal tastes) 10 bands you've never heard of that you'd probably come to dig just as much as you loved AIC, or at least dig a lot anyway or get some good enjoyment from... But again, I love all genres, I'm all-purpose.

And lastly, it's a well-known fact that Jerry Cantrell was always checking out what King's X put out for cool riffs to appropriate... King's X was one of the great 80s/90s prog-rock/metal bands that mostly only musicians really know about, but check out their catalog, especially the early stuff, for some brilliant music.

Capy out. Hit me up with a PM if you want more recco's!

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219