Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1545

Popovich talks about "White Privilege".

Gregg Popovich tells it like it is. (AP)

February is Black History Month in the United States and Canada. Before Thursday night’s matchup with the Philadelphia 76ers, Jabari Young of the San Antonio Express-News asked Gregg Popovich what the annual observance means to him.

As has often been the case of late when asked for his view on political and social topics beyond the boundaries of the hardwood — like the election of President Donald Trump in November, last month’s Women’s March following Trump’s inauguration, the administration’s introduction of “alternative facts” into the national discourse and the chaotic rollout of the executive order banning refugees and immigrants from seven Muslim-majority nations from entering the U.S., for example — the San Antonio Spurs head coach spoke freely, and at some length.

[Join a Yahoo Daily Fantasy Basketball contest now | Free NBA Yahoo Cup entry]

You can hear Pop’s full three-minute response about the importance of reckoning with what America has done to, and hasn’t done for, black people right here:

… or you can read it, courtesy of Michael C. Wright of ESPN.com:

Well, it’s a remembrance, and a bit of a celebration in some ways. It sounds odd because we’re not there yet, but it’s always important to remember what has passed and what is being experienced now by the black population. It’s a celebration of some of the good things that have happened, and a reminder that there’s a lot more work to do.

But more than anything, I think if people take the time to think about it, I think it is our national sin. It always intrigues me when people come out with, “I’m tired of talking about that,” or, “Do we have to talk about race again?” And the answer is, “You’re damned right we do.” Because it’s always there, and it’s systemic, in the sense that when you talk about opportunity, it’s not about, “Well, if you lace up your shoes and you work hard, then you can have the American dream.” That’s a bunch of hogwash.

If you were born white, you automatically have a monstrous advantage — educationally, economically, culturally, in this society and all the systemic roadblocks that exist, whether it’s in a judicial sense, a neighborhood sense with laws, zoning, education. We have huge problems in that regard that are very complicated, but take leadership, time, and real concern to try to solve. It’s a tough one because people don’t really want to face it.

And it’s in our national discourse. We have a president of the United States [Donald Trump] who spent four or five years disparaging and trying to [de]legitimize our president [Barack Obama]. And we know that was a big fake. But still, [he] felt for some reason it had to be done. I can still remember a paraphrase close to a quote “investigators were sent to Hawaii and you cannot believe what they found.” Well, that was a lie. So if it’s being discussed and perpetrated at that level, you’ve got a national problem.

I think that’s enough.

For some watchers/readers/listeners who don’t agree with his politics, Popovich’s remarks might have gone past “enough” to “too much.” For others, it might not be “enough,” but a prominent white public figure in a heavily black sport acknowledging institutional racism and white privilege as real issues that the United States needs to address likely still represents a good start to a serious and important discussion.

Either way, it seems pretty safe to say Coach Pop took a different path to beginning Black History Month than the president did.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gregg-p...052247743.html
    Last edited by Bluehorseshoe; 02-03-17 at 08:37 AM.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

lol what a load of shit

no one has more advantages in this country than minorites

they can do half the work and go twice as far thanks to PC culture. Colleges are filled with these minorities who do not deserve to be there compared to the students who didn't make it because they were White.
    Points Awarded:

jackbo gave brooks85 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Plaza23

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    lol what a load of shit

they can do half the work and go twice as far thanks to PC culture. Colleges are filled with these minorities who do not deserve to be there compared to the students who didn't make it because they were White.
    Most are there for free or next to nothing

Popovich is showing his true clown colors.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

guy can always quit his "White Privilege" Job and let a minority takeover

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

We're a majority white country..it is what it is

Everyone wishes their situation was better and easier than it is. Wish we could all be born into millions but it doesn't happen

Some people are born with more talents than others, more athletic or smarter or better looking...no matter your race

Some people are born without fukkin legs..don't see them bitching about people born fully healthy

Everyone in America has a shot and that's all you can ask for in this life

brooks85

often times thanks to their underachieving parents they do, in fact, get free admission. So now you have some minority from a poor community with mediocre grades, usually, who wants to major in Social Justice Warriorism taking the place of a 3.5GPA+ White-student who wants to actually be an Engineer.

And, they call that "fair."

Pops is like Lebron, outside of Basketball talk, they are dumb as penetrate.

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Lol, what a joke. I remember years ago a had a buddy trying to get a police officer job in the city I live. 95% of applicants are white males, but the department wanted to hire 4 people - 1 being black and 1 bring a woman. I guarantee this happens everywhere on the US. Who's at a disadvantage then? It's no longer best man for the job.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    We're a majority white country..it is what it is

Everyone wishes their situation was better and easier than it is. Wish we could all be born into millions but it doesn't happen

Some people are born with more talents than others, more athletic or smarter or better looking...no matter your race

Some people are born without fukkin legs..don't see them bitching about people born fully healthy

Everyone in America has a shot and that's all you can ask for in this life
    Not everyone has a shot

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    lol what a load of shit

Quit showing off your low iq, dullard

brooks85

^do you really think you should be saying "low iq?"

come on kraken, you have to realize how funny that is with your post history

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1545

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Not everyone has a shot
    It's not like you could become president or anything.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Being a Rockets fan, I never liked the Spurs anyway, but now I like them worse. Do you want to know why we still have a race problem in this country? Maybe its because non whites feel the need to keep reminding us of what color they are, instead of going on with their lives, and staking their claim in the best country in the world.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: unde0087, BennyBigNuts, and Chili_Powder

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Not everyone has a shot
    Well for the 1% that don't it's because of horrible decisions made by their parents. And even then people have come up from horrible childhoods to make something out of their lives

My point is just race or gender or sexuality cannot stop someone on the surface in America

There are people that have it much worse..always remember that

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3768

well, if it's really that bad like "Pops" (not my Pop)
    says, then the blacks should support separation from
    us white devils. I'm really sick of hearing this.
    Let's split up.
    We know how well they always did without us,
    still living in the damn stone age.

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

Folk lore there is only one phucking privilege ....$$

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

I'm white... Where do I go to cash in my priveledge? Thanks.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7600

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Being a Rockets fan, I never liked the Spurs anyway, but now I like them worse. Do you want to know why we still have a race problem in this country? Maybe its because non whites feel the need to keep reminding us of what color they are, instead of going on with their lives, and staking their claim in the best country in the world.
    You like them worse? Huh?

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 145

Solid post KLC, its all about excuses for why some aren't where they want to be instead of working harder to become what they want to be. Its just easier so here we are.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He is only saying it because of all black players he coaches

lol what a phony

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    You like them worse? Huh?
    Meant dislike them more. Hard to post this stuff on my phone when cellphones aren't allowed on the work floor.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7600

Meant dislike them more. Hard to post this stuff on my phone when cellphones aren't allowed on the work floor.
    Oh okay. Cool

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Is Pop really black in a white suit?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

fuk him

Trump RULES THE WORLD NOW

ManOfValue
    ManOfValue's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

If you guys are saying minorities have such big advantages because they get friggin' food stamps you're retarded. Some of you all need to do your homework. Pop is on the ball. But I don't expect any of that to change.

Philmill
    Philmill's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28595

pop-a-zit.... is a good basketball coach...thats where it ends.....

He doesnt know shit about anything else.....

alling
    alling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

black privilege. getting millions of dollars to rap or play ball working for whitey. lucky for them they aren't in the poorest continent on the planet.

In March 2013, Africa was identified as the world's poorest inhabited continent; however, the World Bank expects that most African countries will reach "middle income" status (defined as at least US$1,000 per person a year) by 2025 if current growth rates continue.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19539

Someone should ask Popovich about the pervasive anti-white "racism" that exists in the NBA; I see hardly any white players.

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

This thread offends me.

I must riot.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11762

Pure Garbage..

Pop should even be talking about race.. It's always a black and white thing.. How about a people thing for once? You wonder why this Country is divided..

I'm not racist but I'm gonna keep it real - Most violent crimes in America today are caused by black people in the inner cities, most violent riots are with black people recently, blacks are the highest percentage that are incarcerated, most on welfare black,. Etc. I can go on and on...

I wouldn't be to proud about that if I were a black man that's for sure... Trump is President and trying to fix all this now.. Support him!!!
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 02-03-17 at 05:44 PM.

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Pure Garbage..

Pop should even be talking about race.. It's always a black and white thing.. How about a people thing for once? You wonder why this Country is divided..

I'm not racist but I'm gonna keep it real - Most violent crimes in America today are caused by black people in the inner cities, most violent riots are with black people recently, blacks are the highest percentage that are incarcerated, most on welfare black,. Etc. I can go on and on...

I wouldn't be to proud about that if I were a black man that's for sure... Trump is President and trying to fix all this now.. Support him!!!
    Perfect example of white privilege

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11762

Perfect example of white privilege
    Kraken just stating the facts.. I wouldn't call that white privilege.. Trump will help the inner cities.. Maybe help stop the black on black crimes.. I'm all for it!!!

Black history month enjoy and more power too ya my brotha.. Not hating and I'm cool with the Bredren as long as they are not trying to jack me ....

SBRMAN23
    Be humble sit down
    SBRMAN23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1448

Is anyone surprised at the comments in this thread lmao

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3585

Wish I knew what this white privilege was.

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by SBRMAN23 View Post
    Is anyone surprised at the comments in this thread lmao

123 Last